Is there a particular reason cargo bikes tend to be hub drive?

Nothing wrong with hub motors; I would bet Rad sells 20 Radwagons for every Big Easy Surly sells. The price point where you get into mid drive cargo bikes is several thousand dollars, which is hard to justify for a lot of people. Hub motors are less expensive and mechanically simpler, and the drawbacks (your powered drivetrain being singlespeed and torque sensing being absent or not as refined) probably don't even matter on a utility bike for many people.
This is what I actually wanted to say, thank you.
Where 750W motors are allowed a rear hub motor combined with 8spd derailleur is great option for cheap cargo bike. Will need a large >750WH battery to deliver high power draw of these large motors.
First question will be: Is it the rated mechanical or electrical power? I guess it is electrical as it helps selling actually not that powerful motors as they seem to be.
For most of world where 250-300W is max motor size middrive is only way to deliver performance on hilly terrain.
Incorrect: the 250 W is only a nominal value. A cargo mid-drive motor can produce about 600 W of mechanical peak power, which translates to 750 W of electrical power. Additionally, that power works on the rear wheel via the gearing.

Last edited:
My statement is CORRECT, read it again. Bosch motors are sold as 250W even through they deliver lot more in certain situations. USA allows for 750W nominal which means a lot more peak.

My statement is CORRECT, read it again. Bosch motors are sold as 250W even through they deliver lot more in certain situations. USA allows for 750W nominal which means a lot more peak.
They are sold as such. I can show you actual power readouts from a 250 W nominal mid drive motor.

Again, prove that the 750 W from the hub drive motor is the mechanical motor power.

Put the accelerator where you put it on a Tesla and then pull the chain through the gears. A city counsel member has an expensive Euro hub-drive cargo bike and took out a mid-drive cargo bike last Saturday for a test ride. The difference is night and day. The mid-drive is smoother, faster, more powerful, climbs better, is lighter, and has more cargo capacity, with better range with a smaller battery.

I debated on a cargo bike before the tandem so I could get my wife around. but also realized I would not haul much in the way of weight or large items as amazon will deliver that with less effort. Plus the granddaughter much rather ride in a open trailer where she can peddle.

In my direct experience a hub drive "beats" a mid-drive in all areas but one (or two), and that would be climbing steeps hills (and having a heavy wheel). My #1 hub motor bike is a regen braking, torque sensing, 500w direct drive Grin motor that will draw almost 1500w when needed.
The bike is a joy to ride, super quiet and smooth.

My #1 hub motor bike is a regen braking, torque sensing, 500w direct drive Grin motor that will draw almost 1500w when needed.
The bike is a joy to ride,
How far do your pedal your direct drive motor unpowered? I pedal my geared hub unpowered about 20 of the 30 miles of my weekly commute: unless there is a headwind >12 mph. If the throttle is taken out by rain, I pedal unpowered the whole distance.

Back