Is it too soon to clean the new chain grease off?

Dallant

Region
USA
My new Rail came with some very thick chain oil/grease. With less than 100 miles, the chain is fairly dirty but I’ve always heard one should leave the original lube on. Thoughts?

Attachments

• BF8C0020-9CDC-4AAA-B5DE-D659080AAAF4.jpeg
    BF8C0020-9CDC-4AAA-B5DE-D659080AAAF4.jpeg
    439.4 KB · Views: 175
My new Rail came with some very thick chain oil/grease. With less than 100 miles, the chain is fairly dirty but I’ve always heard one should leave the original lube on. Thoughts?
Most chains come with cosmoline on them to keep them from rusting while in transit, and or storage. It's thick and attracts dirt. Most people I know clean that off before installing and apply a good chain lube after install and before use. Crazy a good chain doesn't come with at least rudimentary instructions.

Most chains come with cosmoline on them to keep them from rusting while in transit, and or storage. It's thick and attracts dirt. Most people I know clean that off before installing and apply a good chain lube after install and before use. Crazy a good chain doesn't come with at least rudimentary instructions.
Crazy a good ebike doesn’t come with good instructions.
That stuff definitely attracts and holds onto dirt. My inclination was to clean/lube but just curious.

It probably won't make much difference either way to the chain life. If the dirt is bothering you, then clean it.

MTA: I would at least wipe the dirt off with a rag and add an oil based lube every 100 miles or so. If you are switching to a dry or wax based lube, you should clean it first.

It probably won't make much difference either way to the chain life. If the dirt is bothering you, then clean it.

MTA: I would at least wipe the dirt off with a rag and add an oil based lube every 100 miles or so. If you are switching to a dry or wax based lube, you should clean it first.
I always clean my chains with a brush-equipped cleaner (like Finish Line or Park Tools) with a degreaser reservoir. IMO wiping it off with a rag just isn’t worth the effort because you aren’t cleaning the key areas. And I always use Finish Line Dry Lube.

I say clean it whenever it needs to be at whatever the age. I too saw no reason to remove the manufacturer lube and just add Boshield lube and take the manufacturer at its word that it flushes out old oil and leaves a new coat. In the end I think all the chain discussion and extra work recommended by some adds nothing more than just that... work.

I always clean my chains with a brush-equipped cleaner (like Finish Line or Park Tools) with a degreaser reservoir. IMO wiping it off with a rag just isn’t worth the effort because you aren’t cleaning the key areas. And I always use Finish Line Dry Lube.
You use the exact products I do for chain maintenance. I say keep it clean!

^^^ this. I've heard the "that stuff is lube" story but fact is that is not a chain lube. The world won't end if you let time and life clean it off, but you won't hurt anything by wiping it off and replacing. I use Rock and Roll Gold and a small towel. Its a combination solvent and lube so one step: Squirt on, wipe off and job done. Cleans off the old crap and lubes all in one step.

I just cleaned the chains on three bikes. (Park tool cleaner) My new Allant+ 8s was the worst with only 100 miles on the bike. Whatever was on there was a dirt magnet for sure.
The oil you put back on is another subject.

J.R. is right. However, I don't degrease and lube a brand new chain instantly, only after some time ridden. I have maintained my Vado chain as of today, and will do that to the Vado SL chain tomorrow.

It might be prudent to remove the rear wheel and clean the cassette as well as the pulley set as there will likely be grime on those components. A dummy hub also comes in handy while scrubbing the chain with the Park Tool cleaning device. Only takes a few more minutes of time.

Standard wisdom used to be leave the manufacturers grease on. I use waxed chains, so the grease has to be stripped off completely before waxing.

Back