Is it important to you that your ebike doesn’t look like an ebike?

EdC

I’ve noticed that a lot of ebike manufacturers are going to great lengths to concealing the fact their bikes are ebikes. Batteries and motors hidden in the down tube and displays are getting smaller. Are they doing that for esthetics or is it because the is some kind a stigma attached to riding an ebike. Do manufacturers feel if it doesn’t look like an ebike more people, who don’t want their piers to know they are riding an bike, will buy them. Ed

I don’t really understand why people want a large display. I would prefer something rugged, waterproof and very small that displays the assist level and *maybe* speed. If I want to see any other info, it could be sent to my phone via Bluetooth or an app.

I'm not sure that their motive is always concealment but rather, often, better integration.

If I could get the same functionality in an e-bike that was less obviously an e-bike, then I would prefer it. Mostly to attract less attention to the bike particularly from passing thieves trying to spot targets at a crowded bike rack. But, for me, a more integrated and blended design of the electric components is more aesthetically appealing.

I'd suggest they are making the bikes look like they were designed by Industrial Designers instead of a bike that looks like the battery was just stuck in some convenient place. Refinement so to speak. But we would all be guessing, wouldn't we.

No, I think they look good. Most people give me compliments on mine. Sometimes the muscle headed road racers give me dirty looks, I just whip out a piece of red licorice, smile, twist the throttle and say hasta la vista baby!:cool:

I don’t really understand why people want a large display. I would prefer something rugged, waterproof and very small that displays the assist level and *maybe* speed. If I want to see any other info, it could be sent to my phone via Bluetooth or an app.
Giant did this for 2019. My Fathom has 2 strips of LEDs on the control pad and that's it. 5 LEDs to show battery level, and 5 LEDs to show assist level.
The app lets you see real time info, adjust assist levels, and upload rides to Strava etc.

I like that mine is an ebike and not a regluar bike. People look quite a bit because it is pretty bulky, but I usually get compliments. A lot of people are interested in them and wonder if it is viable for them. I tell them I use mine for commuting and exploring on the weekends. I get lost for miles and miles. Even my parents are looking at buying an ebike now.

There is no question that some bikes are "stealthier" than others which could be by design. Time will tell as regulations evolve and new ebikes hit the market.

People buy ebikes for a variety of reasons. There are models out there to suit every taste. Being a senior who sometimes rides in quasi legal situations, this is just my approach.

Where I ride, I'm concerned about existing & future anti ebike regulations. I may be overly cautious but considering the cost, I wanted some insurance against these things being regulated into oblivion. Stealth was one of the reasons I bought my Pedego Interceptor with rear rack battery. With panniers covering the battery rack, or even just a tail bag, it's hard to tell you're looking at an ebike. The display is fairly small and hard to spot with all the other gear I have on the bars. So far, very few have noticed.

P1070420a.jpg

I doubt the engineers at Pedego had stealth in mind when they designed it though.

Last edited:
Are they doing that for esthetics or is it because the is some kind a stigma attached to riding an ebike.
I'd say it's a combination of aesthetics, practicality and stealth. Personally, I think some "integrated" models look worse than some external battery models.

To me, the first bike below is far better looking than the second:
hal-eboost-blk-21.jpg
UR748-ATOM-X-27.5-PLUS-PRO_900x.png

Not a good comparison.
You're comparing two different bikes.

One is hard tail, one is full suspension.
Completely different design, maybe you don't like the fact that two tubes connect together before reaching the head tube.

One is Atom X, the other is HAL eBoost.
True that, but you're comparing a Yamaha Haibike with an integrated Bosch Haibike.

And I did write that "some" integrated models look worse... to me.

Last edited:
Several years ago, we toted our bikes 1200 mile only to find signs on the trails saying "electrorad verboten" , as the Germans would say it. Well, my wife's bike is stealth, and I had saddlebags covering my rack battery, so we rode. Today though, I would not knowingly go where we're not welcome. At home, it wasn't clear whether ebikes were allowed on my local paths until last year. and laws on the books still only allow 15 mph ebikes in Chicago forest preserves. So my first choice for bike paths are our stealthier ebikes. For streets, it doesn't matter.

Lookitme. I'm an ebike!
LG _maui.jpg
P1500544.jpg

Running silent.

20170826_104942-2.jpg
solder6-3.jpg

I have a Orbea Gain. It looks very sleek and tidy. Difficult to tell it's an ebike. However that was not the sole reason for purchasing that model. I tell anyone interested and proudly that it is very much an ebike. Spread the word good people.

I like the bit-of-old-school look my bike has, vs some of the more assertive/angular ebike designs out there.
Of course, my battery case is no more stealthy than any of the big down-tube mounted hoagies... (Though someone did once ask me if it was a lunch box or carry-case!) I constantly see riders passing me, giving the battery case the curious eye...
I have a large capacity bag on a rear rack, which partially obstructs a view of the gears and hub motor - but nothing hanging on the other side; so, not really stealthy there, either.
But to the original posting - the look, lines, style of the bike, which I think of as "not immediately announcing this is an ebike", definitely swung me in favor of it

1561735015308.png

Another previous reason is that I didn't care for the inevitable "Izzat an ebike? How much?". Our fIrst bike (pic by the lighthouse) was $1370. That's 3rd world by the standards of this forum,. but I was still embarrassed. Always been that way.

As my ebikes got progressive cheaper, to the point where I should be paid for riding them, I't was easier to answer those queries. The pic of the bike with the red forks? My neigbor had thown it out and I managed to snag it before the metal scrappers came by. I patched the tires and tossed on a $200 geared motor kit. Sporting a pair of surplus hoverboard packs (good for 20 miles).$75. Zoom zoom. Later, I rattle canned the red to black, so my neighbor wouldn't recognize it and want it back.

I don't think I would buy another e-bike that was obviously an e-bike. There are too many questions about where they are "allowed" to be ridden, and too many busybodies out there. That isn't to say that a bike that one of us would detect as being an e-bike would be out, just the obvious ones with huge obvious motors and protruding batteries.

There is very little ability to use a given battery from one bike on another bike, with few exceptions within a bike brand or perhaps with an occasional less common motor. I think it is unlikely that this product will evolve so that batteries become interchangeable; there are so many examples of common electronic items where that has NOT become the case, such as cellphones, digital cameras, etc. It's pretty obvious with the standard battery sizes out there for consumer goods (AAA, AA, 9V, C, D), that new consumer goods have not moved in the direction of battery interchangeability, rather they have tended to have internal rechargeable lithium ion batteries that are not user accessible. Rechargeable batteries for consumer goods have been sold as a feature, but in many cases what they are is a part of an overall strategy of product obsolescence.

Integrated batteries in e-bikes should be designed in a way that they can be removed and reinserted into the bike by the end-user; many or most are. When these batteries reach their end of life, a lot of the bicycles will be considered dated and/or obsolete, and owners will choose not to buy another battery but rather will dispose of the bike. That may be unfortunate and it may contribute to landfill waste, but the obvious fact is that e-bikes are going to evolve over time, and probably become progressively cheaper. My guess is that what will happen is that they will become much lighter over time and given the choice of spending $500 for a new battery to continue using a 60 lb, 5-year old bike, that people will choose to spend $1000 or $1500 to replace the whole bike with a new one weighing substantially less.

Finally, to the extent that people do want to resuscitate their older bikes with dead batteries, the currently-existing few shops that will custom rebuild your bike battery, will increase in number and this service will be the way that people keep these older bikes on the road long after the manufacturers have ditched them (or gone out of business) and the original batteries can no longer be found. You will ship your dead battery to one of these places and they will refurbish it with new cells and send it back to you.

I prefer a stealthy build, but I don't object to obvious batteries. Less obvious is better but stealth isn't worth the premiums charged for many eBikes. Displays are a frustration to me. I have to support those complicated, for many users, color displays. I seldom if ever look at mine. But others love their bright oversized overpriced color screens. I wish I could run C963 displays on every bike. Although I'm happier now with an EggRider.

But take my comments with a grain of salt. I'm a kit guy.

Back