Is it a good practice to regrease geared hub motors as part of usual preventative maintenance after putting on some mileage?

Handlebars

Region
Canada
That's the first question.
Also, which grease - white lithium or something that doesn't get thrown off as easily?

Depends on the design. Many are not easy to open. Some have threaded covers, and anything that big in diameter takes a big lever to turn. Others come apart with household tools.

I never even considered it. Our ebikes are light duty. A check of the internet says I can buy a new motor for$120- $150 for any of my ebikes.

Depends on the design. Many are not easy to open. Some have threaded covers, and anything that big in diameter takes a big lever to turn. Others come apart with household tools.

I never even considered it. Our ebikes are light duty. A check of the internet says I can buy a new motor for$120- $150 for any of my ebikes.
Huh? Where are you finding under $150 motors? All I find are $350÷

Harry, Thank you. For that price, do you get motor only? To install it into the old wheel ?
Huh? Where are you finding under $150 motors? All I find are $350÷
I'm assuming the difference is that the higher-priced deal includes rim, spokes, freewheel, maybe tire?

First picture shows Q100H. $80 plus $40 shipping from CHina. I use them on our 20" bikes. It's a bare motor for that price.

A Bafang G060, which is a 500W fatbike motor, is $150 before shipping from a Chinese vendor. I originally paid $250 for mine in 2015.

This whole 500W motor kit with motor/rim and electric parts was $175 on ebay a year ago, when I bouight it, and the seller stocks them in a Chicago suburb, no having to go overseas.

Attachments

• P1630228.JPG
    P1630228.JPG
    424 KB · Views: 428
I plan on greasing mine when/if there's cause, noise for instance. I have an expensive motor, a MAC, but what I paid for it has nothing to do with whether I would grease it or not. If it were to get noisy on me, or have any other issue for that matter, it would be pulled down. Even if I could replace it for 40.00.

Not that I've looked into what's involved extensively, but from what I have been able to gather, it's not a job for the faint of heart. There are some incredibly strong magnets involved, that would just love a chance to reach out and bite you given the chance I'm sure. There will be gear pullers involved I believe, to remove the armature from the case. The magnets will have quite a grip on it, taking a puller to seperate them safely.

I don't think I would pull it down as part of an annual maintenance, not unless I was riding it a lot more than I am. If I were commuting for instance, I would likely be paying more attention.

My ebikeling 1200 w geared hub motor the cover started coming off by itself. When took the wheel out of the fork to change the tire, I pulled the 8 screws with a #2 phillips driver and took a look. The gear side is the one without the wires. At 4000 miles I added a little grease to the gear surface. It all obviously had moved to where the gears don't touch it. Last time I tried blue loktite on the screws. This time I used Key-tite pipe sealant, which is so good you can't buy it anymore.

Back