Is e-Biking Cheating?

Don’t take this the wrong way but.....who cares? No excuses are necessary. Is using a word processor instead of a typewriter “cheating”? Anything that gets you out there and riding, or makes the longer, more difficult rides possible is a gift. Never mind those with physical challenges that are now able to ride because of the assistance provided. And for many others? It’s fun! And anybody that thinks riding an E-Bike doesn’t provide exercise....well....they are speaking out of ignorance.

I think ebiking is definitely cheating:
- cheating death
- cheating obesity and other health related illnesses
- cheating on sedentary lifestyle
- cheating my doctor and other medical professionals out of a steady revenue stream because of poor health
- cheating car and gas companies out of easy money by ebike work commuting

- cheating death
- cheating my doctor and other medical professionals out of a steady revenue stream because of poor health

Sounds like we need a Tee Shirt!!! LOL

I look at e-bikes as a way to get a decent workout while enjoying things like fast speeds, as well as no worry that you will ride so far that you will be too pooped to make it back. Also if your ride takes you into trafficked areas alot then it can help you quickly get out of there and back onto the walk where you can be more leasurly.

Not at all. I still ride my road and gravel bikes, the Ebike gets me out the door when I wouldn’t otherwise ride.

Yesterday we had 25MPH winds and there is no way I would have been out riding if I didn’t take the Ebike. Today I’m going to ride the gravel bike.

Colorado was the only place where a rider said ..."No fair. You got an ebike!". Most of the time, we hear "I want one!". I don't mind if some purist thinks I'm cheating. Wait til he's collecting social security.

Just don't make me an illegal rider. That's my outlaw spouse beating it out of Frisco, CO, where ebikes were not allowed, although we saw a few.

P1600587.JPG

I agree, who cares. I had one friend that continually tried to get under my skin with the cheater comment. Finally I asked him if he carried his golf clubs over his shoulder all the time now, knowing full well that he uses a powered golf cart. No more comments.

- cheating death

Ha that's terrific.

On my ride this morning, I thought about the 'cheating' thing as I passed some road cyclists on an ebike.

My response if someone asked, "I haven't touched my car since I got this bike. Can you say the same about your bike?"

Happened to me once too, a road cyclist stopped at the lights, called me a cheater. Although we talked and he was reasonable I know the feeling.

Still I think the op should take it easy. A simple answer like "didn't know we were competing" should be enough.

Yes, cheating at what, exactly?
It is such a pointless question/stance in the end, for a "traditional" cyclist (or car driver, or anyone, really) to take. Similar to the judgements that still surface sometimes in the world of photography, over film (i.e., the entrenched "way we do things" for a century) vs. digital cameras (new concept only available in the last 2-3 decades.) Cheating there is not using a wet darkroom, cheating is not being limited to the rolls of film you have with you, cheating is knowing immediately whether you got the shot you were after, cheating is anything Ansel Adams didn't do; technological advances be damned... blah, blah, blah. That pesky element of human nature to need a position of superiority over others... If you don't do this thing the way I'm choosing to do it, you're lesser.
From a simple locomotion/transportation perspective, I liked a response posted elsewhere... "Would you rather I use my car to get where I'm going?"

Back