I had interacted with Nilesh many months ago and suggested that they use Bafang ultra instead of the Boefeli motor.
I am glad their campaign is doing well.

Couple of inaccuracies:

There is no Rohloff -E14 (not Rohloof... unless it is the Chinese version of Rohloff I am not aware of) for Bafang or any other motor other than Bosch and the cost of Rohloff E-system is almost as high as the bike itself.
Pirelli tires are not available yet and they are certainly not $25 a piece.
Bosch (COBI), Specialized, Stromer have all tried on-board navigation and app-based systems and they struggled.
I want them to succeed but it is also important to promise only what they can deliver. This will instill confidence in customers. In the end, they don't want to be "Jack of all trades, master of none".
Getting the software right and integrating into Bafang is no easy joke. I am rooting for any e-bike and I do hope these guys proceed cautiously before promising too much and disappointing people.

They intend to use Ultra drive but the top speed is 20mph!!! why? Come on guys, make it 28mph.

1563983879067.png

It's kind of hard to know what you are actually getting. Full payment and wait until next year ?

I like it very much, but 8 months to March is/will be a loooong span of time in ebike history. Still, this design is elegant and on the tech edge, plus the NOW price is remarkable. I can't imagine any better or competing ideas coming out at anywhere near this ~$2K level. Great if this company can show up the rest of the market which is moving sharply to ever-rising price/margin levels. Good luck Calamus men!

Any updates on Calamus? I see they're double their goal now, and have now added some features such as blind spot warnings by vibrating the grip. Or was that already in there, and I'm just finding out about it now?

I hope they succeed.

Looking at the challenges have had and the timelines, it will be hard on the customers and the company to make all those features work.

Crowd funding is a double edged sword. It brings money but if the homework is not thorough, overcoming roadblocks can be quite challenging.

Back