Insurance for your Juggernaut

G..

If you live in a city, especially a big one, theft happens. So you likely want to insure your new ride.

After days of back and forth with my insurance broker this is what I found out. Of course, I'm not an expert so you should have this conversation with your own insurance company. I wonder if things are different in the U.S. Or other provinces? Anyway here is what I have to report, let me know what you think and if you have other info to add.

Most (maybe all in Ontario, Canada) insurance companies will not insure an e-bike as a scheduled item. E-bikes are covered under most home policies up to $1000 for peril (fire, water damage, earthquake, etc). However, theft is not a peril so the e-bike would be covered for the full amount if stolen. This means my bike is covered already under my home policy; however, it would be subject to my deductible. Vandalism (which is not related to theft) is a peril so capped at $1000. Vandalism which is a result of theft or attempted theft is covered for full amount.

You can buy bike insurance here in the US, there are several companies, and for around ten bucks a month. velo insurance is one, I can't recall the other at the moment and there may be more than a few. Take a look as there might be one that offers it outside of the US. Deductibles as low as $100 too.

You can buy bike insurance here in the US, there are several companies, and for around ten bucks a month. velo insurance is one, I can't recall the other at the moment and there may be more than a few. Take a look as there might be one that offers it outside of the US. Deductibles as low as $100 too.
cheapest full coverage I could find was around 30.00 per mo .

If you live in a city, especially a big one, theft happens. So you likely want to insure your new ride.

After days of back and forth with my insurance broker this is what I found out. Of course, I'm not an expert so you should have this conversation with your own insurance company. I wonder if things are different in the U.S. Or other provinces? Anyway here is what I have to report, let me know what you think and if you have other info to add

Most (maybe all in Ontario, Canada) insurance companies will not insure an e-bike as a scheduled item. E-bikes are covered under most home policies up to $1000 for peril (fire, water damage, earthquake, etc). However, theft is not a peril so the e-bike would be covered for the full amount if stolen. This means my bike is covered already under my home policy; however, it would be subject to my deductible. Vandalism (which is not related to theft) is a peril so capped at $1000. Vandalism which is a result of theft or attempted theft is covered for full amount.

Thanks for this, I will inquire with my broker. I too was curious.

One option I'm looking at for my bike (Saskatoon, SK) will be the Kryptonite ATPO (anti theft protection offer)

https://www.kryptonitelock.com/en/customer-service/register-for-anti-theft.html

basically, if you buy one of their locks of the appropriate security rating, and register for the program right away, they can cover the value of your bike up to $5000 (for max security lock). For an ebike, these heavier locks are not really too tough to deal with. there are of course all sorts of stipulations and terms but they are not unreasonable at all, the trickiest part is hoping the thief leaves the broken lock behind if they do manage to bypass it. Ideally, the heavy protection offered by these prevents the theft entirely, and need for a claim.

Back