Installing a front light on the Bosch system

DonWerner

I've been looking at different light systems to install on my Bosch CX system, but I am having a hard time figuring out if there's any available which is plug n play, where you dont need to cut into the wire harness of the motor. Does anyone know if such a system exist?

I believe if you do a search you'll find a video showing where to plug in a connector to the Bosch motor for your lights, and will be controlled by the Intuvia light button. I have looked at it but don't recall exactly where I saw it. It does require to remove the left crank and housing cover which looked pretty straight forward. A lot easier then the other side where yo'd have to remove the sprocket. If you can't find it reply here and I'll try to locate it for you.

Keep in mind if you do this you will need a dealer to activate the lights. You will also need the front and rear light wires from Bosch. They plug directly into the motor.

does any one know what is the volts output of the Bosch cx lighting system is it 6 volts or 12 volts can you switch for 6 to 12 volts using the Bosch dealer software

does any one know what is the volts output of the Bosch cx lighting system is it 6 volts or 12 volts can you switch for 6 to 12 volts using the Bosch dealer software

Yes, it can be done.
All Bosch bikes 2017 onwards are 12V compatible.
I put light and motion NIP 800 and very happy with it.

...Does that NIP
Yes, it can be done.
All Bosch bikes 2017 onwards are 12V compatible.
I put light and motion NIP 800 and very happy with it.

Does that NIP work through the light button on the inteva head unit or do you become condemned to hitting the one on the light... MP99 Pure .... very awesome light but $400 are you out of your freaking mind?

i am assuming it only has one so if you wanted to run multiple lights you would have to splice them together ?

That is correct. The latest gen motors put out 18W, so you could wire in multiple lights as long as they are within that limit.

... how many of those internal ports does the motor have? ...

... i am assuming it only has one so if you wanted to run multiple lights you would have to splice them together ? ...

I believe there are two ports, one for front light, one for rear light, both controlled by whatever Bosch controller (ie Nyon, Intuvia, etc)

@tallpaul is correct. There are individual ports for front and rear light.

@EndUser2012
If you want to install multiple lights upfront, you can splice the wire and install (which I what I have done on my bike).

Most detailed instruction with pictures are given here: https://www.emtb-news.de/news/en/workshop-install-lights-bosch-e-bike/

The two empty ports you see in this picture are designated for front and rear lights.

1568677357645.png

My bike was already wired with a front light but as usual I wanted brighter and better... I chose the Light & Motion Seca which has an 1800 I pulled out about 6" of light cable and 1800 lumen output.
(hint: be sure to slide the heat shrink tubing on first before soldering :)
Installation was a snap as there was already a cable. I just pulled out about 6" of cable cut and did a soldered splice with heat shrink tubing and then fed it back into the down tube.

@tallpaul is correct. There are individual ports for front and rear light.

@EndUser2012
If you want to install multiple lights upfront, you can splice the wire and install (which I what I have done on my bike).

Most detailed instruction with pictures are given here: https://www.emtb-news.de/news/en/workshop-install-lights-bosch-e-bike/

The two empty ports you see in this picture are designated for front and rear lights.

View attachment 38473

Awesome ... Thank you for the info ... now to select my lights... the 2019 Haibike trekking 9.0 light is freaking horrible unless you want to ride at less than 10 MPH in the pitch black which is unacceptable for my 40 mile commute ... goign into fall it only goign to get worse with the dark and rain... not to mention people on trails who are walking in black in the oncoming side of things

Last edited:
I went with the supernova m99 mini pro, worth every nickel. The bosch motor can be set to 6V or 12V. You also have a choice of headlights always on or on by switch. For safety reasons i went with always on, the low beam is default on start up. When crossing traffic or riding on the road switching the high beam on gets peoples attention. Plug in lighting cable adaptors with the factory weather sealed connectors are not much money. the connectors are available with the lead wires in different lengths , go with the longer ones, the 6 inch ones will have the connection point in an awkward place. Shrink tube and solder, don't use the provided connectors as water will wick inside the insulation and corrode the wires and connector pins over time.

I went with the supernova m99 mini pro, worth every nickel. The bosch motor can be set to 6V or 12V. You also have a choice of headlights always on or on by switch. For safety reasons i went with always on, the low beam is default on start up. When crossing traffic or riding on the road switching the high beam on gets peoples attention. Plug in lighting cable adaptors with the factory weather sealed connectors are not much money. the connectors are available with the lead wires in different lengths , go with the longer ones, the 6 inch ones will have the connection point in an awkward place. Shrink tube and solder, don't use the provided connectors as water will wick inside the insulation and corrode the wires and connector pins over time.

...Set... now how does one do that.. I been though my headset unit and i didn't see a menu like that...

Or if one goes to the pro you have to wire the thing into your main battery harness -_- ... but who would honestly want to lose the light button on the display for this... probably a voided warranty for doing that too... =\

Found this install video that covers that guy....

Last edited:
The voltage selection and the headlight preference have to be set by the bike shop with their diagnostic software. The Trek dealer charged 30$ for the service which also included a program update. it took about 10 min and was done while i waited. there are different versions available, https://supernova-lights.com/en/products/e-bike-lights-25kmh/m99-mini-pro-25/, can power off 5v, 6v or 12v. NO loss of warranty as the bosch light ports are designed for this. The light button on the controller remains your choice.

Last edited:
...Yeah after much back and forth I am going with the NIP 800 instead... a third of the cost and the guy from the bike shop also told me he uses the thing and its 800 lumens is more than adequate

Back