Install dedicated headlight with Das-kit C7?

I found this so looks like you are 100% right about the das-kit CT5-I5 controller! It's an 22 amp at full power. https://etcycle.com/products/das-kit-ct5-i5-48v-22a

The way I understand it, is that Canada has a power limit of 500 Watts and a speed limit of 32kph, so Das-Kit uses the C7 display to limit the power of the CT5-I5 to 18 amps and 32 kph.
In Europe and Australia, the power limit is 250 watts and a speed limit of 25 kph, so the controller is limited to 15 amps and 25 kph.
In the US, the power limit is 750 Watts and a speed limit of 30 mph so the controller isn't restricted.

It's cheaper and easier for Leon Cycle to comply with the regulations by selling the same ebikes everywhere and limit the power and speed with the display so all the ebikes have the same controller and motor.

In Canada, the T1000 actually has the same 750w motor with 1000w peak as all T1000's so the motor has no labels or branding on it to get it into Canada.

I believe that the motor for the T1000 sold in the US is labeled Das-Kit, with other labeling on it including "750 Watt" so that wouldn't be allowed in Canada or Europe.

There is another Das-Kit Controller available. A CT6-FB that some people have.
It's available for the "Off-road" kit in Australia.

This thread covers a lot of different information and is where I posted a lot of what I have done.

The only thing that bothers me about the controller is the lag it has. It takes about a second for the motor to start after you press the acceleration or the pedal, but this is probably a safety measure specially inserted electronically in the controller.

@PedalUma mentioned it somewhere, and said that almost all bike manufacturers are doing that now on the cheaper bikes with just a cadence sensor.
The developers figure that it's "a more natural feeling".
He says he doesn't like it.

I not only don't like it, I think it's fricken stupid!

How many acoustic bikes keep the power on for a second or two when you stop pedaling, or wait two seconds to apply power after you start pedaling?

It would be interesting to find out with which program we can program the controller at home.

I did find out about a guy in Germany that figured out how to convert the Australian and European CT5-I5 controller to accept a throttle input.

Throttles aren't legal in Europe and Australia.

Europeans and Australians can always buy an American CT5-I5 controller, but they are a lot of money, and they aren't legally allowed to be imported.

I already have Throttles on my bike and it reaches the same speed as the pedal assist. Before it was set to 6km/h but I set the speed to unlimited. :)

I already have Throttles on my bike and it reaches the same speed as the pedal assist. Before it was set to 6km/h but I set the speed to unlimited. :)
I just realized that the top speed of 45 kph (with the wheel in the air) that you noticed is probably the Das-Kit Controller and display limiting the top speed to the American limit of 45 kph.

That guy with the Moscow Plus had his bike going 53 kph.

So more power to your motor, and an actual unlimited top speed should make your bike go faster.

My KT controller has a top speed of 72 kph before the motor shuts off or limits power.
(not that anyone could go that fast, Maybe down hill with a tail wind?)

You would probably need the 35 amp controller to do it though, and it is quite a bit bigger so you would have to find out where to mount it.
And you would have to be careful how you use it so you don't cook your motor or burn up the connectors and wires.

EDIT: The the 25 amp KT controller may very well be enough power to get your bike going faster.

It's probably your Das-Kit Controller/display that are limiting your speed (even though your display says "unlimited")

If you can reach your top speed without pedaling, then it's probably got enough power.
And if you start pedaling at that point, and it doesn't go any faster, then it is your controller/display limiting your motor power.

As far as I know, nobody has been able to change the programming of the Das-Kit Controller/display to increase the top speed limit of ~42-45 kph.

Last edited:
Reactions: ovt
EDIT: The the 25 amp KT controller may very well be enough power to get your bike going faster.

It's probably your Das-Kit Controller/display that are limiting your speed (even though your display says "unlimited")

If you can reach your top speed without pedaling, then it's probably got enough power.
And if you start pedaling at that point, and it doesn't go any faster, then it is your controller/display limiting your motor power.

As far as I know, nobody has been able to change the programming of the Das-Kit Controller/display to increase the top speed limit of ~42-45 kph.

I know that's how my bike worked with both the original and the Australian off-road displays, only it happened at 32 kph instead of 45 kph like the US display.

The throttle would take me up to to 32 kph and if the bike went any faster, the motor completely shut off, so if I kept pedaling to go faster, ALL the power was coming from me to maintain that speed and go faster.

There was an L7 or H7 display a few years ago, available in Canada, that would allow the bike to go up to 45 kph if you peddled.
The throttle would apply power up to 32 kph, but keep applying that power as you peddled along to go faster, up to 45 kph when the motor would cut out.

They have since stopped doing that to conform with Canadian laws, and the power for all Das-Kit powered ebikes shuts off completely at 32 kph now.

Reactions: ovt
This is a screen shot of a screen shot of @PedalUma 's post about the lag...

Screenshot_20230310-032417_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I am almost positive that the KT controller eliminates the lag before and after you start pedaling, and I am positive that you can chose the amount of power that PAS kicks on with.

@jkvt installed a KT controller on his Moscow Plus.
Maybe he can verify that the lag is indeed gone.

Another thing about your Das-Kit Controller vs my 25 amp KT Controller is that my controller is rated 25 amp max, but is only designed to put out 12 amps continuously without overheating.

Screenshot_20230310-045411_Gallery.jpg

The Das-Kit Controller is rated 22 amps, but it may very well be able to deliver 22 amps continuously or close to it?

I'm really impressed with the Das-Kit Controller. My KT controller is cheap Chinese crap in comparison. I can easily smoke the thing if I'm not careful.
You'd need a sledge hammer to wreck the Das-Kit Controller. 😂
It is fully potted, which makes it completely waterproof and really helps with heat dissipation, and the box itself is a heavy, one piece cast aluminum box.
You can bounce it off rocks. 😂

It's just too bad about the programming and the lurching and leaping and lag that it causes.
I could have just learned to deal with it, but it pissed me off, and I didn't want to deal with that stupidity.

It would be interesting to find out with which program we can program the controller at home.

I know that there is flash memory in the display that can be programmed, and there may be flash memory in the controller? But I know nothing about programming, and I don't think that you can just "plug in" and program it.
I think that there's probing and soldering involved?

If I had my way, my ebike would have no computer chips at all, just a motor, a battery, and a big rheostat controlled by a throttle.
If someone can build me such an ebike, I will buy one.

Back