Innerbarends with twist shifters?

Fandomii

Region
Europe
Hi folks,
I would like to improve the comfort of my Enviolo-geared e-bike (with twist-shifter) and I was looking at SQLabs innerbarends, which seems to be a very interesting value proposition. However I am not sure there is a setup where they can be used with a twist shifter. Has someone achieved it before?

Last edited:
I cannot answer your question directly (as I do not own Enviolo). Innerbarends 411 are technically speaking good for any flat handlebars. However, I can see your e-bike (if this is what I think it is) has the big Enviolo NuVinci gear indicator next to the right grip:

1674976605345.png

It look that it would be impossible to install the Innerbarends there as an Innerbarend must be installed just next to the grip. The gear indicator would get in the way, and you would not be able to place your hand on the IBE properly either.

This is what I think.

1674977553361.png

Proper Innerband setup on my bigger e-bike. As you can see, the IBE directly follows the handlebar grip and nothing gets in the way.

Last edited:
I cannot answer your question directly (as I do not own Enviolo). Innerbarends 411 are technically speaking good for any flat handlebars. However, I can see your e-bike (if this is what I think it is) has the big Enviolo NuVinci gear indicator next to the right grip:

View attachment 145770
It look that it would be impossible to install the Innerbarends there as an Innerbarend must be installed just next to the grip. The gear indicator would get in the way, and you would not be able to place your hand on the IBE properly either.

This is what I think.

View attachment 145771
Proper Innerband setup on my bigger e-bike. As you can see, the IBE directly follows the handlebar grip and nothing gets in the way.
Thank you Stefan, that is indeed my set up. Twist shifter from Enviolo with the little screen below.
1675014550631.png

Would it make sense to have innerbarends after the twist shifter, ie. closer to the middle of the handlebar? I understand that I would not be able to brake or shift gears from that position, so it would be just for short changes in position. I also understand (correct me) that one is not able to brake or shift gears if the barends are at the end of the handlebar either.

Thank you Stefan, that is indeed my set up. Twist shifter from Enviolo with the little screen below.
View attachment 145794
Would it make sense to have innerbarends after the twist shifter, ie. closer to the middle of the handlebar? I understand that I would not be able to brake or shift gears from that position, so it would be just for short changes in position. I also understand (correct me) that one is not able to brake or shift gears if the barends are at the end of the handlebar either.
Not really. The whole idea of the IBE is you hold it with the thumb and the index finger but the rest of your hand is supported by the grip and your fingers shall rest on the brake lever...
You wanted the belt drive and IGH. It is not possible to have everything! :)

Not really. The whole idea of the IBE is you hold it with the thumb and the index finger but the rest of your hand is supported by the grip and your fingers shall rest on the brake lever...
You wanted the belt drive and IGH. It is not possible to have everything! :)
Hi Stefan - i had a chat with SQLab and they said it's fine to use innerbarends 411 with a twist shifter as long as the barend is between the shifter and the brake. I think in my case the little screen thingy will actually not get in the way.

Question - can one "clip" the Innerbarend onto the handlebar or do they need to be slid into place after removing grips and shifter from the handlebar?

they need to be slid into place after removing grips and shifter from the handlebar
This. That was the most frustrating aspect as I had to loosen almost everything on the bars to get the access to the Innebarend screw and then maintain all the angles. If I chose the innerbarend angle wrong, I had to loosen the brake lever again... Infuriating. Once I set the proper angles, I could forget all the trouble and now ride almost solely in the Innerbarends on two e-bikes!

Last edited:
Back