Initial Field Report

chixter

I've installed the 8Fun 750W on my old cheapie Schwinn 700c Third Ave. Initial testing is impressive. Installation went well, I acquired a 48V 15ah Samsung cell Li from CaliBike. I mounted it on the cargo rack above the rear wheel. Over the last 2 days and 40+ miles of riding I have found I rarely have to shift gears. I have some inclines around here but not hilly by any stretch. Max elevation from my Strava data is 190ft. I set 4 PA levels and I have installed the throttle. I have a 7 speed rear cassette. I usually stay in 6th gear, PA2. This gives me good cadence, tolerable resistance level and an average 17mph speed. I have hit 28mph in level 3 but anything over 20 isn't safe on this walmart bike. At least thats how I feel. I find if going up grade I simply put PA 3. This is easier than changing gears. I downshift on the larger hills especially If I am going to be at a stop sign and have to start from stop. I use my rear break lever just a bit, v-pads not engaged but motor cuts when I shift...kind of like the clutch on my motorcycle so I find it easy to do. 2 20 mile rides on very warm days, only 1 bar off battery and motor hardly warm at the end. So far, so good. This winter, I will be putting this system on my Trek Excaliber 9 hardtail.

all sounds good, congrates. I think you will find an even better experience when you set it up on your trek. I got my kit setup on a poor bike also and ever single bump is so much more aggressive at speed. I think, and would hope, the ride would be much nice with a little suspension up front.

Initial testing is impressive. Installation went well
Great....what you've described when riding is about what I've experienced. Only use 2 or 3 gears on the cassette, not very often 4th for really steep inclines. The left brake handle motor clutch becomes 2nd nature. PA levels 2/3 at least 80% of the time.

I'll bet you'll really appreciate the set-up when you change it to your Trek (as James suggests)

Have fun!

Court J.

Great feedback, chixter! nice to have details about how the system performs on inclines (and an old Schwinn bike!) You're definitely gonna fly on that Trek. Load some pictures, please.

Back