I'm curious...for those of you who leave your bike locked for an hour or more, do you remove the battery and take it with you?

Do you remove your battery when leaving your nike locked?

• YES

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • NO

Votes: 27 90.0%

• Total voters
And then the insurance premium will blow up. I've biked for a decade most every day, commuting and all. Never caused damage to other people's property.

Some may sacrifice having a life to protect a bike. Not for me.
I make up the lost 40 seconds it takes to clip on and off the two tiny 3 digit padlocks (with identical combos) by not doing routine maintenance on my bike!

All you need to do to greatly reduce chance of theft is to spraypaint a portion of your bike+battery dayglow orange. What idiot thief will take it then, knowing it is instantly identifiable?

Yeah, I know, pride of ownership and all that. I'd rather have the Peace of Mind knowing the bike will be there when I come back.
Make your bike ugly with a tactic of dubious effectiveness?

There are effective tactics, though:

Don't think I've had any bike longer than three years. Never had a bike stolen despite daily utility riding. Uglification would have cost me far more in resale value. Paranoia is not an indication of great intelligence, just paranoia.

All you need to do to greatly reduce chance of theft is to spraypaint a portion of your bike+battery dayglow orange. What idiot thief will take it then, knowing it is instantly identifiable?

Yeah, I know, pride of ownership and all that. I'd rather have the Peace of Mind knowing the bike will be there when I come back.
Once the thief gets the bike home, my guess is he will paint over the dayglow orange...

No. My battery locks in the downtube and I wired a keyed switch to the display. Need the key to turn the display on.

Back