I want to start renting Rad bikes as a business.

I just did a 3-hour ebike tour of Newport Beach, CA, a few weeks ago on two Radrovers (18' step-thru and 18' Radrover). We mainly wanted to do the tour just to sample the step-thru for my wife because she feels her 2016 Radrover is a touch too big to handle. It was nice to have a local guide to give historical background, points of interest, local businesses, and hidden hot spots you can't find unless you are a local. I'm heading out to Santa Barbara, CA, next week and going to do another 3 hour ebike tour out there.

I lean towards ebike tours if there is an option of a guided tour. We have beer/wine/local eats bike tours in my home town and we do a X-mas eve Luminaries tour near downtown every year with our personal ebikes.

That would be a cool option to add for your business to partner with local eats/drinks to give folks a taste of the hidden hot spots.

Last edited:
Insurance might be as or more expensive than the bikes. A very good contract would also be necessary to hold the renter responsible for theft and damage while in their possession. But it's common knowledge that no contract is considered iron clad in the hands of a lawyer. Personally I would not rent anything capable of 28mph, nor anything with a throttle. Just too open to wrecks with inexperienced riders.

I have also been considering partnering with a local business to provide e-bike rentals and tours.

From a customer standpoint, their experience is going to be much more positive if they are riding an e-bike that is well-maintained and in excellent condition. So you are either going to need a reliable partnership with a local bike shop to service your bikes or you are going to need to effectively have a well-stocked shop and folks who are adept at servicing bikes in your own business. This is especially true with a seasonal business, as having one of your rentals out of service for a week or more would have a large impact on the profitability of your business.

Have child seats or trailers available that work with your bikes. I think one of the sweet spots for e-bike rentals is riding with small children.

Most people won't be able to transport one or more bikes when they come to visit, so make sure you have printed cue sheets and maps showing tours they can make right from your business. Also consider having a few folding bikes for rent.

Having guided tours is an excellent idea as well.

Good luck.

Great advice! We are thinking of a( sunset ice cream tour ) there is a chocolate and Ice cream factory next door + great lake Michigan views too. And yes On speed they only allow class 1 bikes and 15mph in our town.

Great advice! We are thinking of a( sunset ice cream tour ) there is a chocolate and Ice cream factory next door + great lake Michigan views too. And yes On speed they only allow class 1 bikes and 15mph in our town.

Where do you live ? I'm in Traverse City.

Good thing about Rad Power bikes are you can adjust the motor cut-off any where between 7-25 mph. Very easy to make your Rad fleet 15 mph limit class I ebikes (disconnect the cable for the throttle).

Insurance might be as or more expensive than the bikes. A very good contract would also be necessary to hold the renter responsible for theft and damage while in their possession. But it's common knowledge that no contract is considered iron clad in the hands of a lawyer. Personally I would not rent anything capable of 28mph, nor anything with a throttle. Just too open to wrecks with inexperienced riders.
When I looked into offering eMTB tours & rentals, very few insurance companies would quote me for liability coverage, etc. Those that did came in prohibitively expensive, citing the motors as a huge risk factor. When I asked an atty. about having clients sign waivers, I was told that they might prevent some folks from trying to sue, but would probably not hold up well in court if it got that far.

Ebike rentals with small children are a liability that almost no insurance company will cover, certainly no bike shop insurance. Generally, kids need to be at least 13+ for your company to afford to have the insurance. Most sites that I've seen; plus my own prior rental program, were very clear about age limits.

You will need to collect a deposit aka a pre-authorization on their credit card, or cash if you want, before the rental. Also, be clear about your reservation policy; a no show or too late arrival could cost you another rental, so have it spelled out about fees and timing for cancellations.

Don't contract with another shop to service your bikes, that's also quirky and possibly a liability. Have your own trained techs who are great with bikes and spend the few bucks to get one or more or yourself trained as an ebike tech. The courses only take a few days and are a good intro to how to deal with the electronics on ebikes. They aren't expensive either. Experience will teach you a lot and lean on the resources of what ever company's product you decide to buy.

And most importantly, make sure that the manufacturer you choose for your rental bikes will provide a warranty for rental product; not all do for products used in a commercial venture.

One last note, make sure your business structure is an LLC or Corporation so that liability issues come on the shoulders of the company, not yourself personally. And do have fun! It can be a very profitable business. Perhaps consider contacting Pedego; they have a ready to roll program for rentals as do a few other ebike companies that are not just a purchase online like RadPower. They would have support, marketing tools and a lot of programs that could help you be successful from the start.

Is there a safe and scenic route along the lake front of any worthy distance? I know Michigan recently changed the law but I don't think DNR is going to allow class 1s (if any of the route is DNR land). I'm hoping to go try the Kal Haven rail trail on the west side of the state with my wife on Class 1s. But last I checked their website it still said nothing motorized is allowed.

Is there a safe and scenic route along the lake front of any worthy distance? I know Michigan recently changed the law but I don't think DNR is going to allow class 1s (if any of the route is DNR land). I'm hoping to go try the Kal Haven rail trail on the west side of the state with my wife on Class 1s. But last I checked their website it still said nothing motorized is allowed.
we can go from petoskey to charlevoix and to mackinaw on bike trails

Voltbike is looking for rental fleet operators, and I would consider them a direct competitor with any of the bikes from Rad Power. Even if you're set on going with Rad, you might be able to glean some info from Voltbike to help get you started. As for insurance, if there are any Segway tour operators in the area you might try to get some info from them regarding insurance. Although the vehicle is different, I would think there are enough similarities to get you connected with the right carrier and prepare you for any obstacles with your startup.

All of the ebike rental outfitters here on O'ahu are ebike retailers using rentals as a way to supplement their income. While the majority of the renters are probably tourists, I'm sure they get a local resident on occasion who gets excited enough about their rental experience to make a purchase. On that note, you may want to consider working out a relationship with a LBS who carries ebikes for a possible referral fee for rental customers you send their way.

Reactions: JRA
Voltbike is looking for rental fleet operators, and I would consider them a direct competitor with any of the bikes from Rad Power. Even if you're set on going with Rad, you might be able to glean some info from Voltbike to help get you started. As for insurance, if there are any Segway tour operators in the area you might try to get some info from them regarding insurance. Although the vehicle is different, I would think there are enough similarities to get you connected with the right carrier and prepare you for any obstacles with your startup.

All of the ebike rental outfitters here on O'ahu are ebike retailers using rentals as a way to supplement their income. While the majority of the renters are probably tourists, I'm sure they get a local resident on occasion who gets excited enough about their rental experience to make a purchase. On that note, you may want to consider working out a relationship with a LBS who carries ebikes for a possible referral fee for rental customers you send their way.
We have pedego in town, don't want to try and compete with them. Rad does have a referral program. Hawaii I'm jealous.

Up date looks like it is happening. Have brick and mortar and financing. Filing papers now. Should be and electric ride, or something like that.

Ping me and we can chat. We have some bikes like our Stunner LT and Kutty that are great for rentals.

I would value your comments. I live in a seasonal tourist area in northern Michigan. Thanks in advance

Good luck dude! Seems like a short tourist season to rent ebikes but you already know that...

Ebike laws were changed for the good this year.. Hopefully you verified the trails near your business are open to eBikes.

Question 10: Can I ride an electric bicycle on a trail?

Answer: The answer depends on several factors — the class of the electric bicycle, the type of trail, and whether the authority that has jurisdiction over the trail permits the use of electric bicycles. “Authority” includes any state or local governmental entity having jurisdiction over a trail. This includes the Department of Natural Resources, counties, villages, townships and cities. The law defines two types of trails:

Natural surface trails, are trails designated as non-motorized and have a natural surface tread that is made by clearing and grading the native soil with no added surfacing materials such as asphalt, crushed limestone, or similar material. No electric bicycles are permitted on these trails unless the authority having jurisdiction over the trail has authorized electric bicycles i.e.,“opted in”.

Linear trails, are trails that have an asphalt, crushed limestone, or similar surface. Class 1 electric bicycles may be operated on these trails as soon as the law goes into effect. Authorities having jurisdictions over these trails can “opt out” i.e. prohibit class 1 electric bicycles on these trails. Examples of ‘linear trails” include the North Central State Trail, the North Eastern State Trail, the North Western State Trail, the Little Traverse Wheelway, and the Huron Sunrise Trail. Class 2 and 3 electric bicycle class cannot be operated on these trails unless the authority having jurisdiction over the trail “opts in” i.e. permits them on the trail.

The law also authorizes Class 1 electric bicycles on “rail trails” unless the trail’s authority “opts out”. Class 2 and 3 electric bicycles are not permitted on “rail trails” unless the trail’s authority “opts in”.

http://www.trailscouncil.org/michigan-ebike-legislation/

We're hoping to be open by memorial day. Haven't even been in the building yet. And the trails are class 1 bikes limited to 15mph . And yes once we got our location things are just falling into place. Got our LLC and tax ids just yesterday.

Good luck dude! Seems like a short tourist season to rent ebikes but you already know that...

Ebike laws were changed for the good this year.. Hopefully you verified the trails near your business are open to eBikes.

Question 10: Can I ride an electric bicycle on a trail?

Answer: The answer depends on several factors — the class of the electric bicycle, the type of trail, and whether the authority that has jurisdiction over the trail permits the use of electric bicycles. “Authority” includes any state or local governmental entity having jurisdiction over a trail. This includes the Department of Natural Resources, counties, villages, townships and cities. The law defines two types of trails:

Natural surface trails, are trails designated as non-motorized and have a natural surface tread that is made by clearing and grading the native soil with no added surfacing materials such as asphalt, crushed limestone, or similar material. No electric bicycles are permitted on these trails unless the authority having jurisdiction over the trail has authorized electric bicycles i.e.,“opted in”.

Linear trails, are trails that have an asphalt, crushed limestone, or similar surface. Class 1 electric bicycles may be operated on these trails as soon as the law goes into effect. Authorities having jurisdictions over these trails can “opt out” i.e. prohibit class 1 electric bicycles on these trails. Examples of ‘linear trails” include the North Central State Trail, the North Eastern State Trail, the North Western State Trail, the Little Traverse Wheelway, and the Huron Sunrise Trail. Class 2 and 3 electric bicycle class cannot be operated on these trails unless the authority having jurisdiction over the trail “opts in” i.e. permits them on the trail.

The law also authorizes Class 1 electric bicycles on “rail trails” unless the trail’s authority “opts out”. Class 2 and 3 electric bicycles are not permitted on “rail trails” unless the trail’s authority “opts i
That was fast. 3 days after you asked, you are starting.
to fast for sure

Back