I have to admit - I almost backed out of buying an ebike after joining EBR - glad I didn't

Casual Rider

Region
Canada
I joined EBR a couple of months ago because I was planning on buying an ebike and wanted to do a little research. My reasons for wanting an ebike were pretty simple: I'm 62, starting to find myself avoiding certain routes with a lot of hills and cutting my rides shorter. I want to get the same exercise with less work and more mileage.
But I have to admit that I almost got talked out of it. I found I would read a lot of great things about ebikes here, but it also exposed me to some of the problems, people criticizing other models of bikes, or brands they did not like. Basically, things that make you go hmmm....
I've been riding the same Iron Horse hybrid bike I bought new in 1990 for the past 30 years. It's never left me on the side of the road, never had to call the company warranty line. Basically, I've gotten a tune up done every couple of years and had the tires replaced when needed. That's about it. I was beginning to think, 'do I really want to deal with batteries etc., just to get a little help up the hills?' If you had asked me last week (and my wife did) if I was still planning to buy an ebike I would have said 'nah, I think I'm going to hold off and ride my old hybrid for another year while I think about it some more.'
Well, yesterday a friend who has way too much money offered me a deal on his almost brand new RadMini because he had decided he wanted a different toy. It was one of those 'you really can't lose' opportunities and I took it.
Today I rode an ebike for the first time, other than the brief spin I took on it yesterday when he showed me how it worked. I was working from home today and had about an hour free after lunch. It was fairly cold, so I decided to just go out to the end of my street, take a short ride and see how it worked up the long hill near my place.
About 20 miles later, I turned back into my driveway. I rode that thing over an hour and a half up every hilly road I knew, I went down roads I normally wouldn't even take because they are so hilly. I'd probably still be out there, except I wasn't really dressed for such a long ride in the cold and I did have to get back to work.
I am SO happy I didn't chicken out of buying one!

I joined EBR a couple of months ago because I was planning on buying an ebike and wanted to do a little research. My reasons for wanting an ebike were pretty simple: I'm 62, starting to find myself avoiding certain routes with a lot of hills and cutting my rides shorter. I want to get the same exercise with less work and more mileage.
But I have to admit that I almost got talked out of it. I found I would read a lot of great things about ebikes here, but it also exposed me to some of the problems, people criticizing other models of bikes, or brands they did not like. Basically, things that make you go hmmm....
I've been riding the same Iron Horse hybrid bike I bought new in 1990 for the past 30 years. It's never left me on the side of the road, never had to call the company warranty line. Basically, I've gotten a tune up done every couple of years and had the tires replaced when needed. That's about it. I was beginning to think, 'do I really want to deal with batteries etc., just to get a little help up the hills?' If you had asked me last week (and my wife did) if I was still planning to buy an ebike I would have said 'nah, I think I'm going to hold off and ride my old hybrid for another year while I think about it some more.'
Well, yesterday a friend who has way too much money offered me a deal on his almost brand new RadMini because he had decided he wanted a different toy. It was one of those 'you really can't lose' chances and I took it.
Today I rode an ebike for the first time, other than the brief spin I took on it yesterday when he showed me how it worked. I was working from home today and had about an hour free after lunch. It was fairly cold, so I decided to just go out to the end of my street, take a short ride and see how it worked up the long hill near my place.
About 20 miles later, I turned back into my driveway. I rode that thing over an hour and a half up every hilly road I knew, I went down roads I normally wouldn't even take because they are so hilly. I'd probably still be out there, except I wasn't really dressed for such a long ride in the cold and I did have to get back to work.
Welcome to the dark side :) Live long and prosper...

Well, yesterday a friend who has way too much money offered me a deal on his almost brand new RadMini because he had decided he wanted a different toy. It was one of those 'you really can't lose' opportunities and I took it.
Excellent written piece. Welcome to the club. Get your finances in order because you are soon to be buying .... more .... other.

Sounds like you may have the fever and the only cure is more ebike...

Welcome to the hobby!
I hope your Rad serves you well. If the dozen pages of posters on known problems thread are right, don't give up with this entry level product.
My yubabike with the ebikeling motor I added has taken me 6000 miles in 3 years. 8 tires, 6 tubes, one set brake pads, a shifter cable, a fender I kicked, one $221 motor @ 4500 miles, a seat strut, one chain @ 5000 mlles. That's all. I had the spare motor on in two afternoons, no shop required. This ride is less trouble than two of the new cars I have owned. I ride it like a pedal bike, no power: unless the wind is >12 mph in my face, then I turn the motor on. No more 6 hour rides at 4.5 mph & 140 bpm. The Luna battery has been fine for 3 years. I've only had 3 road flats, and blew one used tire I shouldn't have salvaged.
BTW, my n = 2. I had the same motor on a Huffy Savannah, but didn't like steering the 18 lb LiFePo4 battery hung from the front handlebar. That battery was garbage. This bike has bosses in the frame to mount a basket in the front; no steering the battery. Only things I don't like about my current ride, I need a softer seat. And it wouldn't fit the racks on Amtrak. I'll just have to ride the whole way.

Last edited:
Excellent written piece. Welcome to the club. Get your finances in order because you are soon to be buying .... more .... other.

Thank you. It's possible that I'd buy another ebike, but you have to remember... you're talking to the guy who still has his first hybrid bike and still rides vintage motocross on the 1973 Honda SL100 he got as a teenager :)

Welcome to the hobby!
I hope your Rad serves you well. If the dozen pages of posters on known problems thread are right, don't give up with this entry level product.
My yubabike with the ebikeling motor I added has taken me 6000 miles in 3 years. 8 tires, 6 tubes, one set brake pads, a shifter cable, a fender I kicked, one $221 motor @ 4500 miles, a seat strut, one chain @ 5000 mlles. That's all. I had the spare motor on in two afternoons, no shop required. This ride is less trouble than two of the new cars I have owned. I ride it like a pedal bike, no power: unless the wind is >12 mph in my face, then I turn the motor on. No more 6 hour rides at 4.5 mph & 140 bpm. The Luna battery has been fine for 3 years. I've only had 3 road flats, and blew one used tire I shouldn't have salvaged.
BTW, my n = 2. I had the same motor on a Huffy Savannah, but didn't like steering the 18 lb LiFePo4 battery hung from the front handlebar. That battery was garbage. This bike has bosses in the frame to mount a basket in the front; no steering the battery. Only things I don't like about my current ride, I need a softer seat. And it wouldn't fit the racks on Amtrak. I'll just have to ride the whole way.

"I hope your Rad serves you well. If the dozen pages of posters on known problems thread are right, don't give up with this entry level product."

Thanks for the example. That is exactly the type of comment I was referring to in my original post.

Just love my e-bike (Giant Revolt).
I've been commuting to work for the last 15 years or so by bicycle - for the last few years it had become a chore on my acoustic as my knees got creakier and the hills got steeper :(

My e-bike has made my cycle commute fun again, rather than being a chore.

e-bikes rule!

Mike

"I hope your Rad serves you well. If the dozen pages of posters on known problems thread are right, don't give up with this entry level product."

Thanks for the example. That is exactly the type of comment I was referring to in my original post.
Whatever you buy, somebody, somewhere is going to tell you that you *should have* bought whatever they bought, because they are so much smarter than you and they're generous enough to share their wisdom with you . . . . for free! - If only you would listen . . . .

That's why we still have Fords, Chevys, Dodges and a host of other cars & trucks to choose from - So we can all go our own way, no matter what the naysayers have to say about it

Your Honda SL100 took me waaaay back - I won a few novice class motocross races on one in the Philippines back in the early 70's 🙃

Don

Thank you. It's possible that I'd buy another ebike, but you have to remember... you're talking to the guy who still has his first hybrid bike and still rides vintage motocross on the 1973 Honda SL100 he got as a teenager :)
Don't forget, it isn't an "either / or" condition... I spent two blissful years on my then-new ebike... then accidentally "rediscovered" my 90's era Bianchi 21-speed was still sitting, utterly forgotten for at least 15 years, in a storage locker I had. Got it all fixed up/road-ready, and now alternate between both bikes, as the mood / intended route warrants...

Welcome to the hobby!
NICE. Made you feel good I am betting.

If you don't want to know which brands are trouble, just pay the bill. Or lace your own wheels, with free parts from the vendor. There are many high volume brands that have very short "known problems" threads. Not just the one I bought.

Whatever you buy, somebody, somewhere is going to tell you that you *should have* bought whatever they bought, because they are so much smarter than you and they're generous enough to share their wisdom with you . . . . for free! - If only you would listen . . . .

That's why we still have Fords, Chevys, Dodges and a host of other cars & trucks to choose from - So we can all go our own way, no matter what the naysayers have to say about it

Your Honda SL100 took me waaaay back - I won a few novice class motocross races on one in the Philippines back in the early 70's 🙃

Don

Yep, some people think they are building themselves up knocking someone else. I'm 62 and I've heard it all before LOL!
Very cool that you raced an SL100 in the 70s. Those little Hondas were great bikes and the engines in particular were ahead of their time. I love riding mine and it gives the bigger bikes fits in vintage MX. My RadMini is kinda similar feeling to the old SL100, but of course with a lot less power.

Don't forget, it isn't an "either / or" condition... I spent two blissful years on my then-new ebike... then accidentally "rediscovered" my 90's era Bianchi 21-speed was still sitting, utterly forgotten for at least 15 years, in a storage locker I had. Got it all fixed up/road-ready, and now alternate between both bikes, as the mood / intended route warrants...
I'm still going to take out the old warhorse for a ride now and then. I also do a charity ride to raise funds for cancer research each year and I'll use it for that event.

If you don't want to know which brands are trouble, just pay the bill. Or lace your own wheels, with free parts from the vendor. There are many high volume brands that have very short "known problems" threads. Not just the one I bought.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah....

Cool... Rad will send me the parts if I have a problem? That's awesome, because my eight-year-old grandaughter could lace a wheel and pop in a Bafang motor. It's hardly rocket science.

Last edited:
Back