Hydra as a commuter?

coldriderwi

I’m curious if anyone is planning on commuting with a Hydra. I’m thinking the Salsa bend bar (23 degrees), Kindernay, and a a rear rack might make for a plush comfortable ride.

Perhaps those that already have theirs may have some good insight into the feasibility of this?

I'm planning on commuting with mine a little bit, but I have not looked much into accessories yet besides fenders. I think I'm going with the Crud XL front fender, not sure on rear yet because the rear suspension complicates things a bit. That rack looks good, maybe I'll grab one of those and throw a fender under it!

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I really like that Crud XL fender. Looks nice. If you find a good rear I’d be interested in what you come up with.

Also a nice rack. I would really only need a small trunk bag anyways. I have a nice Osprey biking backpack I like on rare occasions when I need more capacity.

Anyone putting one a kickstand on their Hydra? Seems a must for commuting.

I've got a 12 mile commute to the shop that I'm planning to frequent on the Hydra. I've got a Chinese E-scooter that handles it well, aside from the rock-hard suspension. I can't wait for a plush ride on the Hydra, I can only imagine I will feel like Goku on the Flying Nimbus.

Attachments

• Flying Hydra.png
    Flying Hydra.png
    573.3 KB · Views: 244
I've got a 12 mile commute to the shop that I'm planning to frequent on the Hydra. I've got a Chinese E-scooter that handles it well, aside from the rock-hard suspension. I can't wait for a plush ride on the Hydra, I can only imagine I will feel like Goku on the Flying Nimbus.
When you get your bike and you really want to dial in your suspension ...

Helped me tremendously. This guy does not go into technical blah blah but literally shows you with demonstrations what all the settings of bike suspension do and how to adjust them.

When you get your bike and you really want to dial in your suspension ...

Helped me tremendously. This guy does not go into technical blah blah but literally shows you with demonstrations what all the settings of bike suspension do and how to adjust them.

Thanks for that! This will be my first full suspension bike, and my first with even an adjustable front fork... My old bikes have always had really cheap forks.

Thanks for that! This will be my first full suspension bike, and my first with even an adjustable front fork... My old bikes have always had really cheap forks.
I ended up with a fork upgrade that is easily twice the fork I need. Sure is nice though when you get it set right. Eventually I will have to upgrade the rear shock to match it. 🤣 You will love the video I linked. Made me SO happy. 👍👍👍

I think he would be much better served to look at the Atom. I believe he can put suspension forks on it and you can get an excellent suspension seat post. It’s the lighter with the M600 motor and they will have the advanced 1000w X2 controller out soon.

Thanks for the replies. I really like that Crud XL fender. Looks nice. If you find a good rear I’d be interested in what you come up with.

Also a nice rack. I would really only need a small trunk bag anyways. I have a nice Osprey biking backpack I like on rare occasions when I need more capacity.

Anyone putting one a kickstand on their Hydra? Seems a must for commuting.
I've been looking for kick stands as well. Since I didn't want to put a kick stand on the rear triangle of the bike I found this Taiwanese company that puts a kickstand on the pedal. Not many reviews so I decidedly to foolishly give it a try. I'll give my thoughts once I get it.

Also, if anyone got the 4.8 wide tires and knows of a good fender please let me know 🙏. Found one company cyclepathpdx but don't like the fact that the rear fenders requires you to purchase two separate fenders and combine it together. Looks very cluttered.

Attachments

• HTB10lP5QpXXXXaMXpXXq6xXFXXXT.jpg_q50.jpg
    HTB10lP5QpXXXXaMXpXXq6xXFXXXT.jpg_q50.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 283
I was doing some research on rear fenders, I think the Mudhugger (see first picture) is the one I'm going to go with but I'm worried it doesn't extend far enough down to prevent water/mud getting on the seat tube. Might be able to craft some sort of extension for it.

nx2_rearhugger2_pic3_06583b12-522e-4760-bdd1-5adfff4897fb.jpg

There's one called the SKS Mudrocker, shown below, that I'd prefer, but it appears to be out of stock/backordered literally everywhere. Given I won't be getting my bike for a couple months I can probably wait lol

03_ebike-fully-fin.png

There's one called the SKS Mudrocker, shown below, that I'd prefer, but it appears to be out of stock/backordered literally everywhere. Given I won't be getting my bike for a couple months I can probably wait lol
Shipping would be extra from Italy, but this places has some in stock.
https://www.velonova.lt/en/sks-mudrocker-rear-mudguards

Shipping would be extra from Italy, but this places has some in stock.
https://www.velonova.lt/en/sks-mudrocker-rear-mudguards
Hah, am I crazy enough to do it? Maybe...

I was looking at the Mucky Nutz fender as well, might be worth fabbing something up or designing a 3D printed mount for the rear. I'm going with the Crud XL in the front I think.

I was doing some research on rear fenders, I think the Mudhugger (see first picture) is the one I'm going to go with but I'm worried it doesn't extend far enough down to prevent water/mud getting on the seat tube. Might be able to craft some sort of extension for it.

nx2_rearhugger2_pic3_06583b12-522e-4760-bdd1-5adfff4897fb.jpg

03_ebike-fully-fin.png
On my Frey EX I use Crud XL on the front and Mudhugger on the rear.... great for stopping the dirt and grime! If in doubt choose the large size mudhugger and cut it down by an inch or so....

Worth mentioning, that the Crud XL and Mudhugger are made from different plastics... the Crud XL is shiny black and the mudhugger matt black :oops:.

On my Frey EX I use Crud XL on the front and Mudhugger on the rear.... great for stopping the dirt and grime! If in doubt choose the large size mudhugger and cut it down by an inch or so....

Worth mentioning, that the Crud XL and Mudhugger are made from different plastics... the Crud XL is shiny black and the mudhugger matt black :oops:.
Good to know! I've got some matte black trim paint for the plastic bits on my old BMW laying around, could be easily taken care of.

I also just came across this carbon fiber bike armor to prevent frame damage from rocks flying up.

Back