How's the bike infrastructure where you ride?

FWIW, this was in the broomfield tech center, on the path/sidewalk that parallels 128. It was on a fun downhill section (I slowed down alot for him). I have encountered him before (the 20ft + leash stick in my mind), most likely faster.

I have had several heated encounters in this area, everyone here seems to think I am required to use bike lanes, even if they dont go where I want to go.
Hope you smoked Him, some people think its all about them.

Seattle area: 2/10 to 8/10, call it 6/10 overall. I was going to write a longer response, @mschwett pretty much already said it, so ditto there.

There is slow progress towards a less car-centric future:
- WA passed a complete street law last year that requires every state highway project budgeted over $500,000 to consider and address, if at all possible, the needs of those walking, biking and rolling. My local municipality is in the 2nd stage of improving the state road that runs through it by adding median planters, other traffic calming measures, and better sidewalks. Thanks to the state, they are now going to add grade separated bike lanes by adjusting the buffer spaces.
1683429269188.png

-Seattle just instituted a policy that every time SDOT has a project that changes signals or virtually anything else in an intersection then it will default to 'no turn on red' unless they can document a specific need for turns on red. They cited This study which showed a 92% decrease in vehicle -pedestrian conflicts after going to NTOR.

Last edited:
Seattle area: 2/10 to 8/10, call it 6/10 overall. I was going to write a longer response, @mschwett pretty much already said it, so ditto there.

There is slow progress towards a less car-centric future:
- WA passed a complete street law last year that requires every state highway project budgeted over $500,000 to consider and address, if at all possible, the needs of those walking, biking and rolling. My local municipality is in the 2nd stage of improving the state road that runs through it by adding median planters, other traffic calming measures, and better sidewalks. Thanks to the state, they are now going to add grade separated bike lanes by adjusting the buffer spaces.
View attachment 153137
-Seattle just instituted a policy that every time SDOT has a project that changes signals or virtually anything else in an intersection then it will default to 'no turn on red' unless they can document a specific need for turns on red. They cited This study which showed a 92% decrease in vehicle -pedestrian conflicts after going to NTOR.
Do their streets qualify as that"trainwreck" called a 'stroad"? have to agree about RTOR, the way people breeze through stop signs RTOR could only make it worse in some instances. there was some murmering about LTOR( cooler heads prevailed on that one) 29 through Charlottesville,VA is a terrible stroad, good many EVs and a few bikes lot of walkers over there and runners( mostly Kids from UVA.)
OTH it was a shame some of the old timed lights were replaced with the so called"smart lights, in the little eldritch city called "Salem,VA" back in the day you could run the speed limit and catch a green light and never have to stop again all through the city, it is so frustrating setting at a 'smart light for minutes and minutes waiting for a green because the sun was shining into the camera while no other traffic was around. I say "bypass" and make the "stroads' walker and bike friendly, it was realized a long time ago the only solution for traffic congestion was simply less traffic [if you build a road they will come]

Lovelock NV - Pershing Co. - 10/10
We have nothing here for bikes, except the local paved roads,
which you play Bumper Tag with unless you have a 4-1/2 ft pool noddle sticking out, then you have a 3' space around you, if you guts enough to ride the roads.
I have seen 3 bike riders in 2 years..........

Off Road +10/10
There is approximately 6400 Sq miles here, 90% is open public land,
where you can ride just about any where, miles of cow/horse trails, dry washes, creek bottoms, flat playa's, hunting & mining road in and on every Mtn Range.

There's even one that goes up on top of the Humbolt Range/Star Peak at almost 10,000', very nice ride if you got the leg power to climb a 20% rough gravel 4x4 road, for a couple of miles, still closed to heavy snow fall, and won't be open until Aug/Sept?

Ride the shore lines of the lakes in upper/lower valley, with water in it now,
lots of head hunting, birds and wild life, until it gets too hot.

So you can see why I spend 95% of my time riding off road, and I have neve seen another rider of any type out here, off road.

Nothing but speed goats, yeller dogs, sage bunnies, hawks/Eagles, Ravens and various other Tweety birds, Badgers, Kit Fox and you may get lucky and see some Mule Deer in the cooler parts of the day, Feral horses by the hundreds, wild Donkey's.
And if your extremely lucky, you may see a Mtn Lion or Bobcat in the Mtn's.
I am with that as long as "Pete Puma" hunts at night and doesn't get some crazy bug and come after me.

Haha, I think I've run into this guy. Some guy up in Broomfield invited me to an impromptu boxing match one day. My offense - passing him about 15 feet away in the grass (on an analog bike). I even mentioned I was coming around. Once I passed he started yelling about how I need to announce my presence. I heard his girlfriend say to him - 'he did' 🤣 . That triggered the fella who started chasing me lol. Wonder if that girl still sees him 🤪

I've been riding sidewalks for 4 decades. If it keeps me out of the street, I don't care what anyone else thinks. I'm polite - don't get too close to anybody carrying any sort of speed. If people wanna lose their minds over it - I could care less. I have a standard answer for anyone who feels the need to verbally disapprove of my riding style. I usually say something on the order of - 'yeah, it is a nice day'. While they're taking the time to process that, I just put more distance between us :)
Used to do something similar at stop lights when the "light 'micro timers" would toot their horns before I could get under way,I would glance in the mirror and feign surprise and wave like they were a long lost friend, don't bother now I just ignore no point catching a bullet for stupid things.

I am with that as long as "Pete Puma" hunts at night and doesn't get some crazy bug and come after me.
Kevin
I don't worry about or concerned with the big Gato, I have seen them across a canyon and walked right at them, they just flatten down and watch you,
if you didn't see them you would NEVER know they are there.
I have been within 50' of them and they are all eyes, just watching and curious about this strange smelly creature walking around.

In all my years of prowling the brush, I have only witnessed 1 attempted attack on a person, it was a very young JV male, starving, that tried ambushing my hunting partner, he stopped the cat with a couple of shots to the head, we left the cat there and contacted the local F&G office and he checked out the scene and took photo's of the sign, (8-10" of snow on the ground) etc.
When they (F&G) checked the cat out, they found porcupine quills in both front feet and mouth and chest areas and this cat was just about starved to death, and was the reason for the failed attack.

I am sure if you have spent any time in the bush, and they have cats around,
you have walked past them and NEVER knew they were there.

Lancaster, PA: About worthless.
A couple years ago the city (I don't live downtown) started adding painted bike lanes to the already extremely narrow streets. I have yet to see anyone use them. There's mostly on the 4 North/South and East/West one way streets. There are a couple of bike share stands, but I've never seen anyone using them. There's a bike lane on a main road that I ride on, but it's fairly dangerous as it just suddenly ends and you have to cross a lane that's turning right onto another very busy road to continue straight. after that there's no shoulder and you're stuck riding directly in traffic.

There's a couple of paths near me, neither one goes anywhere useful. One goes around a tourist farm, dumps you into a large parking lot then onto neighbor roads where it then runs into school property. The other starts at a small parking lot and winds through some woods through a swamp into the backside of an apartment complex.

Most roads around here have no shoulders and riding you're not only riding with cars, but also farm equipment, horse and buggies and other bikes. Getting around buggies isn't difficult most of the time, they travel around 8mph, 12 at the most. Farm equipment, including horse/mule drawn, can be difficult due to the width. I got around one the other day that was over width by passing on a rare extra wide shoulder.

I grew up around here riding all over the place as a kid so I'm pretty used to. Biggest problem is that people just don't have any courtesy anymore. Most feel that their life is more important that everyone else's and have no problem passing unsafely or just blowing through stop signs. I don't just mean passing too close, but passing into oncoming traffic just so they can spare a couple of seconds. Parking lots are the worst.

There are some rail to trail projects, problem is they're mostly recreational, and don't actually get you anywhere useful, or you have to ride way out of the way just to get to one. Closest one to me is 6 miles to the middle of it, and then it goes 2 miles to one side, 4 miles to the other, and doesn't go anywhere I actually need to go. The rail trails are probably to best part of the biking area, but from a practical sense, they're worthless.

Parking lots are the worst.
Amen! Big parking lots are the most dangerous places I drive, and walking and biking in them aren't far behind.

Any safety habits and situational awareness that drivers and pedestrians might have developed on public streets totally evaporate in parking lots. Parents with young kids in tow routinely walk them a foot behind running cars with backup lights on — zero margin of safety. All the more dangerous because the drivers are also off their game.

Totally agree about vanishing courtesy. What many fail to realize is that courtesy isn't just a nicety — it's a very practical way to share public spaces and other common resources with the least friction for ALL concerned. These folks are the first to take offense at perceived discourtesies but seem incapable of putting themselves in anyone else's shoes.

7/10, in the Ottawa Valley, NW of Ottawa, Canada.

We have 1 multi-use rail-trail that runs for about 160 kilometers; it's a really nice trail, but condition (graded, packed, fine stone surface) can vary along the route. Motorcycles are prohibited, but it is open to pedestrians, cyclists, ATVs, and horses; trail users are mostly friendly and respectful. There are towns about every 15 miles, which have parking and amenities.

Besides the trail, there are a number lightly travelled secondary roads. There is a large Mennonite population in the area, and many of the townships are paving the shoulders on the secondary roads to give more room for the horse & buggy traffic; ideal for cyclists as well. Most cage-drivers are respectful of bikes and buggies, but unfortunately there are exceptions.

Cycling on the main roads, both in the towns and countryside is not for the faint of heart. I do not cycle on the main highways.

The downside of the area is that there just aren't that many places to cycle within a 100km radius. It doesn't take long to exhaust the options, and repeating trails starts to become somewhat boring.

Most of my riding is confined to trails & MUPs so my comments below don't apply to road riding.

These are just some observations based on many visits to these areas over the last decade or so. They are not intended to be all inclusive, and are just my general feel for overall riding conditions in the area.

Northeastern PA 6/10. Lots of packed gravel rail trails to choose from but some are better maintained than others. The paved trails in Scranton & Wilkes Barre are in good shape but there is a problem with the homeless in places on the Lackawanna Heritage Trail.

Southeastern PA 7/10. Many better maintained paved and gravel rail trails. Good trails include the Lebanon Valley Trail, Lancaster River Trail, Enola Low Grade Trail and the Heritage Trail. Crime can be an issue in the York area of the Heritage though.

Northwestern PA 5/10. A variety of rail trails and MUPs. Maintenance is an issue on many though. The Redbank Creek, Allegheny River and Rail 66 trails are my favorites.

Southwestern PA and Western Maryland 8/10. Quite a few good rail & canal trails. Most notable are the WMRT, C&O Canal Trail and best by far the GAP trail.

Central PA 8/10. The very well maintained Pine Creek & Ghost Town trails are steeped in history and worth a trip.

West Central NJ 6/10. Several canal & rail trails that are maintained fairly well. Many have busy highway crossings though which can be hazardous. Notables include the D&R Canal Trail, Columbia Trail and D&L Canal Trail across the river in PA.

Central & South NYS 7/10. There are dozens of trails of various lengths in this part of New York State. Some are excellent and others not so much. The best and most well known among long distance riders is the Erie Canalway which traverses the state for 360 miles from Albany to Buffalo. Trail conditions vary from great to fair with some on road sections.

Southeast VA 8/10. The scenic & well maintained Virginia Creeper and New River trails are worth a drive. They can get crowded on summer weekends though.

Eastern ME / Acadia NP 9/10. Now that laws permit e-bikes in national parks, the carriage roads in Acadia are a must see.

Eastern MA / Cape Cod 4/10. The paved Cape Cod Rail Trail, Shinning Sea Trail, Cape Cod Canal Trails and Cape Cod National Seashore trails are all great rides. The low 4/10 rating is due to the restrictive MA e-bike laws which are confusing and sporadically enforced. Ride at your own risk.

If you're a trail junkie like I am, a great resource for researching trails across the US is Traillink.com.

It's a non profit organization and their website is free to use. Membership is required to view detail trail maps but the fees are tax deductible and go toward promoting new trail infrastructure.

Canton, Ohio. I ride 25 miles a day for exercise. Mostly (70%) on paved, residential streets and on Stark Park shared trails (30%) consisting of a crushed limestone surface. I live on the outskirts of the city and there is a 'sharrows' path into the city but there is really no reason for me to go there plus I don't feel comfortable (crime) pedaling there. I ride my ebike to dentist and blood draw appointments (3-4 times per year) weather permitting. There is no safe way nor generally no bike racks in the shopping districts in my area. Therefore, I would rate the cycling infrastructure in the area as a "3".

Attachments

• Canton City Hike and Bike Trail System 22x34.pdf
    936.6 KB · Views: 153
Canton, Ohio. I ride 25 miles a day for exercise. Mostly (70%) on paved, residential streets and on Stark Park shared trails (30%) consisting of a crushed limestone surface. I live on the outskirts of the city and there is a 'sharrows' path into the city but there is really no reason for me to go there plus I don't feel comfortable (crime) pedaling there. I ride my ebike to dentist and blood draw appointments (3-4 times per year) weather permitting. There is no safe way nor generally no bike racks in the shopping districts in my area. Therefore, I would rate the cycling infrastructure in the area as a "3".
Something I forgot to mention, lack of bike racks. The only place that I've seen one is my local grocery store. I think there are some downtown, but they're not close to any particular store to shop at, kind if common areas where it's not easy to keep an eye on. A few months ago I rode up to a bike shop that I never knew was nearby. No bike rack there. Around here there are more places to tie up horses than bikes.

Central Florida. 8/10

There are really good MUP's around here. If you want to ride as a recreation and no real purpose other than riding to a point and turning around and coming back with minimal worries about cars, then there is a trail around here for you.
If you want to go from the coast to coast of Florida, you are in luck, the same trails will get you there.

I recommend this site for further inquires https://bikeorlando.net/
For a broader range of Florida trails, https://100floridatrails.com/
(not affiliated, they just have some really good recon pictures and great write ups of what to expect)

Now why it is an 8 out of 10.
Riding on the road. As much as they try to have bike lanes all around, the drivers here just suck.
Also there are gaps in the trails still around here that are not clearly marked as to the direction of the path.

Beyond that, I would not be riding a bike/ebike if it were not for the easy access to the trails around here and the ease of not riding in traffic.

Kevin
I don't worry about or concerned with the big Gato, I have seen them across a canyon and walked right at them, they just flatten down and watch you,
I have been within 50' of them and they are all eyes, just watching and curious about this strange smelly creature walking around.

In all my years of prowling the brush, I have only witnessed 1 attempted attack on a person, it was a very young JV male, starving, that tried ambushing my hunting partner, he stopped the cat with a couple of shots to the head, we left the cat there and contacted the local F&G office and he checked out the scene and took photo's of the sign, (8-10" of snow on the ground) etc.
When they (F&G) checked the cat out, they found porcupine quills in both front feet and mouth and chest areas and this cat was just about starved to death, and was the reason for the failed attack.

They are rare around here, I have only seen one in my life, Game Commision claims there are none here, have on pretty good authority some were released to control deer population.

Kevin

One thing though, a cat will light up my 6th sense as good as a person staring at me,I have never found any Puma tracks in the wild only coyotes and I have seen a good many Bobcats.I did stop hunting when I realized there was enough pain and misery in the world without me contributing.
The spookiest thing I have found was sign of the giant primate,He let Himself be known without showing Himself, the odor was wet skunky dog, tree breaks and such disappear rapidly, confirmed recorded sighting around 10 miles away, which means nothing, the screaming at night means nothing either( it sure is nerve wracking)

The spookiest thing I have found was sign of the giant primate,He let Himself be known without showing Himself, the odor was wet skunky dog, tree breaks and such disappear rapidly, confirmed recorded sighting around 10 miles away, which means nothing, the screaming at night means nothing either( it sure is nerve wracking)
Then you really need to know about the trail warning sign @Prairie Dog found in Alberta this winter:

IMG_20230321_1145180 (1).jpg

Last edited:
This is my town of about 55,000. It is good but there is plenty of room for improvement 7/10 and we are working on that. We want it safe enough that all kids from 6-18 can get to school and back with confidence. It will take all those cars off the road while creating a cycling culture. We have a bike culture here that is in conflict with the nostalgic 1973 film that was shot here about 1962 car culture, American Graffiti. There are still big stinky old car shows here and a speedway in the middle of town that every Saturday night keeps up babies and no one can have a peaceful conversation or dinner at outdoor bistros. The 'algia' of nostalgia, means sickness.
1683507855010.png

1683508169813.jpeg

Amen! Big parking lots are the most dangerous places I drive, and walking and biking in them aren't far behind.

Any safety habits and situational awareness that drivers and pedestrians might have developed on public streets totally evaporate in parking lots. Parents with young kids in tow routinely walk them a foot behind running cars with backup lights on — zero margin of safety. All the more dangerous because the drivers are also off their game.
When I commuted in the Big City, I had a bunch of routes I took that linked big shopping mall parking lots. If you keep to the outer edge near the stroad there is little traffic and good sight lines, and it is much safer than risking your life on the shoulder less, no sidewalk, bumper-to-bumper traffic on the four lane stroad. And you could link the lots for surprising distances if you were a little adventurous and brave.

Also, the spaces behind big box stores and the like often is a great place to ride in terms of relatively little traffic.

My hometown.

The good:

Main street cut its speed limit to 20mph. There are lots of bikes and cyclists out and motorists are generally courteous. There is a short multi-use path that connects parts of town and gives you an alternate route that means you aren't on a narrow bridge with motor traffic. There are a few sections of painted-on bike lanes on shoulders, mostly in places it does not matter.

Most local roads (except for WA-20 which goes right through town) are reasonably quiet and fine for cycling, and enough people ride on them that motorists are aware there are bikes on the road. Kind of a safety in numbers thing.

The not so good:

Access to a lot of stuff, including nearby towns and the Post Office involves busier a roads lacking a shoulder and sometimes poor and scary sight lines. Due to a property dispute the local MUP terminates about thirty feet short of where it should. People bust through the grass to where they need to go.

The hope for the future:

Work is proceeding on MUPs that will connect nearby towns and provide a safe travel experience between towns and for kids cycling to school.

Overall score: 4/10. If/when the MUPs get built it should increase to a 7 or 8. Right now the major thing making it reasonably safe to ride here is that there are a lot of cyclists here and they are very visible.

Back