How to sell an expensive e-bike

rochrunner

Region
USA
City
Rochester Hills MI
When I've sold bikes in the past it's been for a few hundred $$ and it wasn't much hassle; someone would answer my Craigslist ad, come over to take a look at the bike, hand me some cash, and that was about it. But in the near future I'll be looking to sell my Specialized Vado for a price more like $2500, which is $1000+ less than what I paid for it, and I've been wondering how to go about it. Some of the details that have been on my mind include:
  • Is there a good market for a (lightly used) name-brand e-bike in the $2000-3000 price range when many new, mostly off-brand new ones cost less than that?
  • Where's the best place to advertise -- Craigslist that I'm familiar with or FB Marketplace that I'm not, or ???
  • Should I insist on a cash-only sale? Are there other common, safe methods -- maybe electronic such as Paypal?
  • Are there any other things to consider?
What I don't want is to make this a long, drawn-out process and I'm willing to sacrifice price for a quick sale. Do you have any pointers or other words of wisdom? This is obviously going to be more like selling a used car or motorcycle than how it's been for my past bikes.

I love Craigslist, but Facebook may not be a bad plan either.
Cash only for sure! No "if's, ands, or but's" to it. No cash, no deal.
List it for what you think is a fair price. If you get no calls for a couple of weeks, drop the asking price 20%, and repeat as necessary until it sells.
The more expensive bikes are going to have fewer people looking for them for sure, and that's going to reflect on how long it takes to get fair market value I would think. For instance, a RAD bike would be much easier to sell. -Al (Waterford Mi.)

In this price range, ebay begins to become attractive. You don't have a bill counter, you may not be able to detect fake Franklins. Ebay takes debit cards, credit cards, paypal. Ebay pays you electronically. You can specify local pickup only. You can specify "for parts or repair" to reduce chance of a dispute. I would meet a looker at a local restaurant parking lot known to have cameras on it, to prevent strong-arm tactics. He can buy from his phone, there, if he likes it. Order processing in minutes, payment somewhat slower.

I received my funds via e-transfer on a bike I sold last year. He got the bike when I saw the money in my account.
If you receive funds via paypal you will be charged a fee. I think it's in the 2-4% range. Factor that into your sale price if you go that route.

I agree with AHIcks' post. Come up with what you think is a reasonable price and list it on Craig's list, etc. If you don't get any responses in a week lower the price.
Good luck on your sale.

The difficulty in selling an ebike is proving the condition of the battery. Without some battery cycling electronics, it's difficult to assess.

I've seen some nice ebikes for sale at <$100 due to "electrical problems".

A warranty would be an great selling point.

If you sell a bike on e-bay, you're going to end up being asked to ship it. That's almost a given. If the bike gets there and the buyer doesn't like the bike for ANY reason, they can protest the sale, and ebay will refund them their money - leaving YOU responsible for the freight to get your bike back. You haven't got one chance in hell of protesting and winning. PayPal not going to be any help here either. Been burnt here one too many times.

Do NOT sell anything big and expensive like this on e-bay.....

Of course, you could list it for sale here:

Be prepared to provide proof of ownership to a buyer.

Too many stolen bikes out there and many companies will not supply spare parts to a second owner without proof. A copy of the original purchase receipt is good.

If you sell a bike on e-bay, you're going to end up being asked to ship it. That's almost a given. If the bike gets there and the buyer doesn't like the bike for ANY reason, they can protest the sale, and ebay will refund them their money - leaving YOU responsible for the freight to get your bike back. You haven't got one chance in hell of protesting and winning. PayPal not going to be any help here either. Been burnt here one too many times.

Do NOT sell anything big and expensive like this on e-bay.....
This is the truth! And Ebay has fees as well.

I'm mentioning this only as something to consider, but you might also be able to use your bike towards a new one via a trade in program. I don't know if specialized has this, but I know trek does. You definitely would not get as much but it's just a thought.

One thing I'll echo Is being able to show proof of ownership and a copy of the receipt of purchase (some shops can email you a copy of it). There are a lot of stolen bikes sold on popular sites like Craigslist, so saying you can prove ownership in the description will be a huge plus for many, I'm sure.

If you can offer shipping of your bike, you'll greatly expand the area for a sale, but a bike like that you should not have any trouble selling. There is a form on here for selling items also.

Although many people avoid facebook like the plague it is, i hear it works really well for sales.

The OP specificaly stated a fast easy sale so shipping it is probably out.. and it should be anyway for 10 other reasons that should be obvious.
I'd say cash or bank transfer via Zelle are good options for payment as it's instantaneous without exchanging personal information other than cell# or email... no way for someone to dispute it or ask for a refund and all the major banks support it.
Craigslist has been good for me, but you do have to deal with boneheads. Facebook I'm told by many works well.. I just haven't been that desperate yet to try.

Late to this thread but have you seen this thread by @J.R. ?

When I've sold bikes in the past it's been for a few hundred $$ and it wasn't much hassle; someone would answer my Craigslist ad, come over to take a look at the bike, hand me some cash, and that was about it. But in the near future I'll be looking to sell my Specialized Vado for a price more like $2500, which is $1000+ less than what I paid for it, and I've been wondering how to go about it. Some of the details that have been on my mind include:
  • Is there a good market for a (lightly used) name-brand e-bike in the $2000-3000 price range when many new, mostly off-brand new ones cost less than that?
  • Where's the best place to advertise -- Craigslist that I'm familiar with or FB Marketplace that I'm not, or ???
  • Should I insist on a cash-only sale? Are there other common, safe methods -- maybe electronic such as Paypal?
  • Are there any other things to consider?
What I don't want is to make this a long, drawn-out process and I'm willing to sacrifice price for a quick sale. Do you have any pointers or other words of wisdom? This is obviously going to be more like selling a used car or motorcycle than how it's been for my past bikes.
I sold two e-bikes for $1700 each earlier in the month and I used Craiglist which makes it easy to have lots of text and photos for potential buyers. I have sold 3 vehicles and a camper with Craigslist and these were all cash transactions. There is still a very limited supply of e-bikes and this definitely helps to sell a used one without a large discount in the price.

Back