How to safely wash the bike with water

Hello there,

I am a new owner of a 29’ Moscow Plus. I have been locking it so far but the area in which I live and ride is very dusty.

I have noticed after a few days the bike is covered with a layer of dust. When I remove the battery for charging, there is some dust inside as well.

I would like to wash the bike and clean the drive train (degreaser, rinse with water, lube) with water.
I have seen other posts where people have damaged electronics of their bike when getting it wet.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how I can safely wash the bike? I have not seen other threads talking about this.

Think dampened and frequently rinsed rag, rung out to the point there is nothing dripping from it.

I believe that in the video review on youtube, a reseller said it can be cleaned with low pressure water from a hose.

Hello there,

I am a new owner of a 29’ Moscow Plus. I have been locking it so far but the area in which I live and ride is very dusty.

I have noticed after a few days the bike is covered with a layer of dust. When I remove the battery for charging, there is some dust inside as well.

I would like to wash the bike and clean the drive train (degreaser, rinse with water, lube) with water.
I have seen other posts where people have damaged electronics of their bike when getting it wet.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how I can safely wash the bike? I have not seen other threads talking about this.
Buy a waterless car wash spray. All auto parts and Walmart stores carry it. Safe for everything and leaves a coat of wax or protection on the bike.

I use a simple garden sprayer to wash my bikes

The garden sprayer only gets the big stuff, I use a wet rag and a bucket (water only) to clean it further.

I dont think there is one answer for all ebikes, it depends on the quality of the weather proofing. I have ridden in downpours and crossed water up to about 6 inches deep (not recommended but was required on a ride).

Last edited:
I believe that in the video review on youtube, a reseller said it can be cleaned with low pressure water from a hose.

Unless you trust this "reseller" will buy parts contaminated using the process he suggests, I would not use running water anywhere on an e-bike. You may get away with it several times, but there is no assurance the next time won't be the one that gets you. Bottom line, do as you like. I just don't like pushing my luck when it's not necessary.

I would also keep water away from the drive train, water is not your bike's friend! With a dusty environment, you will be well served to clean your drive train frequently. This thread has some good posts in this regard; https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/the-ultimate-mid-drive-chain-care-thread.32918/ .

I wipe down my chain with WD40 sprayed onto a rag whenever I ride in dusty conditions. I clean the chain every 300 miles or so using a chain scrubber and an orange degreaser, again wiping the cleaned chain with WD40 sprayed on a rag until little or no dirt comes of. I then lube with a name brand 'dry' chain lube, lube the pivot points on the derailleur with a light lube and give the cassette and chainring a quick clean. I change my chains every Spring and do a deep cleaning of the cassette and chain ring then as well.

I have to admit that while recently out west, I took both of our filthy Allant+7 ebikes to a car wash, removed both batteries, and washed both of them carefully with the low settings using a soft-bristled brush. Used soap on the outsides and drive trains (after using a bit of Finish Line degreaser), used rinse for outside and briefly on the inside of the RIB area. Carefully dried both bikes, dried the chains with paper towels, and relubed the chains. Not a great cleaning but sufficient in my estimation given our situation. I did this again later in the trip. Absolutely no issues with either ebike during or after the trip.
Of course, on returning home I did a very thorough cleaning and complete degreasing (Simple Green), cleaning and relubing of the driveline.

Back