How To Re-Insert Specialized Turbo Vado Battery (so simple it is)

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Mazovia, Poland
Re-inserting the battery on Specialized Turbo Vado is fairly easy once you got a little bit of practice.
Steps:
  1. Lean the e-bike slightly onto the drive-side for more convenience.
  2. Insert the key into the lock, turn clockwise. The battery pops up. Note the tight gap between the battery top and the battery chamber. Remove the battery. You can remove the key now as well.
  3. Re-insert with the battery connectors downwards. The secret is to align the battery parallel to the e-bike's frame.
  4. After the re-insertion, there should be exactly the same tight gap between the battery and the frame as during the battery unlocking!
  5. Give the battery "Ye Goode Olde Slappe" :) Just slap the battery in.

Last edited:
I get it right about 75% of the time now, but occasionally it takes a couple tries.
That's right. Normally, my batteries are equipped with water-bottle cages, which makes it more complicated (especially with the step-through top tube) but it takes me perhaps 20 seconds maximum to insert the battery at the correct angle now.

Aligning the battery power connector with the frame's is my biggest challenge, but it always goes in - eventually..🤣

I did add the slightest bit of grease to the latch on both bikes. It does help with the final 'click' when the battery is seated in place so I don't need to smack it too hard.

I carefully position the battery so that the contact poles are inserted properly then squeeze it into the frame at the top of the battery and listen for one click, squeeze a little harder for a 2nd click and it's in. This was clearly demonstrated for me at the bike shop when I purchased the bike. I always remove the battery when the bike is not in use and have never had a problem with inserting it.

I did however have one instance in which the bike was powered up but the motor assist was not working. I checked the mission control app and found an error code, it indicated that I powered on the bike too quickly after inserting the battery. Apparently you have to wait at least 5 seconds to turn on the power after inserting the battery, who knew?

Re-inserting the battery on Specialized Turbo Vado is fairly easy once you got a little bit of practice.
Steps:
  1. Lean the e-bike slightly onto the drive-side for more convenience.
  2. Insert the key into the lock, turn clockwise. The battery pops up. Note the tight gap between the battery top and the battery chamber. Remove the battery. You can remove the key now as well.
  3. Re-insert with the battery connectors downwards. The secret is to align the battery parallel to the e-bike's frame.
  4. After the re-insertion, there should be exactly the same tight gap between the battery and the frame as during the battery unlocking!
  5. Give the battery "Ye Goode Olde Slappe" :) Just slap the battery in.

Like shucking oysters. It took me hours to figure out how to open the oysters I harvested on the beach, until finally it worked! After that, it was easy! I'm very interested in this because I just purchase a COMO Low-Step and, in this battery demo, the manager of the bike store had great difficulty getting the battery in and out. Uh-oh!

I live in a condo. We have to keep our bikes in a locked bike bunker in the parking lot and charge the batteries in our condos. Well, I'm always up for a challenge... I think.

Thank you for the video. Will try after I get the bike home.

It is all up to machining tolerances, Gale (some battery might be tightier than the other). Count me a lucky person because I own two Specialized Vado/Como batteries and I only experienced some difficulties when I was fresh to e-bikes :) My technique works; I ride with a spare battery on all rides longer than 70 km (in the warm season, on shorter ones in the wintertime). As long as you align the battery parallel to the frame and give it a pop - it works! :)

Back