How to Best Charge Battery for Longest Life

Eglon

I have a 4 mile commute and would be able to charge the battery everyday after the commute. Is it best to keep it topped off after every ride or wait until it's more depleted? I'm not sure if it's the number of charge cycles that is hardest on the battery or how much it has to charge each time. Any thoughts?

I have a 4 mile commute and would be able to charge the battery everyday after the commute. Is it best to keep it topped off after every ride or wait until it's more depleted? I'm not sure if it's the number of charge cycles that is hardest on the battery or how much it has to charge each time. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 811A42EC-57CB-4B53-BE20-404110916EDC.png
    811A42EC-57CB-4B53-BE20-404110916EDC.png
    165.4 KB · Views: 1,218
I would go all week without charging with that short of commute. But I have no idea what battery pack you have.

As the chart posted by E-Wheels shows, it's the last 20% of topping off your battery that shortens long-term battery life the most. If (I'm making up some numbers here) your daily commute knocks 8% off your battery charge, from 80% down to 72%, it's not going to make too much difference topping it back up to 80% vs. waiting until the end of the week and charging from 40% back up to 80%--I would be inclined to go along with rich c's practice of waiting several days just to avoid the minor hassle of recharging every day.

On the other hand charging from 92% up to 100% every day would be hard on the battery. It's when it's reaching maximum charge that the battery chemistry sustains the most damage that eventually limits the amount of charge it can take.

You can manage a less-than-100% charge cycle by figuring out how much of a charge it can take in 10 or 15 minutes to calculate a per-minute percentage boost. Then figure out how long you have to charge the battery to get the total amount of percentage boost you want to get to your target. Buy a timer that will allow you cut off power to the charger after the desired time interval has elapsed.

Yup, that's so true. I would be better off with 2 batteries and only use them in the usage window. My current single battery is drowning fast because the 80-20 usuability window is difficult to manage when using the bike as a single mode of transportation with 1 battery.
Is that one of the advantages of the higher priced, more sophisticated chargers? Can they be programmed, or is there a mode that maximizes the life of a battery?

Is that one of the advantages of the higher priced, more sophisticated chargers? Can they be programmed, or is there a mode that maximizes the life of a battery?

Yes, the Grin charger is awesome for this because you can set it to charge to whatever percentage you want at whatever charge rate you want(assuming the battery can handle it).
I have multiple different profiles set up for my 12.8 and 21Ah batteries depending on my ride length.

Are Magnum batteries are different from Juiced batteries? Magnum says their batteries are 'Lithium Nickel Cobalt Manganese (Li-NCM)' -- do the same maintenance and care apply?

Keeping a battery's charge between 20-80% at all times will greatly extend the life of your battery. Also, the slower a battery is charged and discharged the better it is for the battery's lifespan.

So does having to charge the battery about 1.5 times to twice as often with the lower capacity almost cancel out the longer life?

Last edited:
Keeping a battery's charge between 20-80% at all times will greatly extend the life of your battery. Also, the slower a battery is charged and discharged the better it is for the battery's lifespan.
Many BMS do not have balance features. Making occasional long charges, 6-8 hours important for rebalancing the pack.

Has anyone tried the Luna charger with a Juiced Bikes battery? Seems like it would work fine with the available adapter and give me the ability to do a 80 or 90% charge when desired and add the ability to fast charge at 4Ah if the need ever arose.

Has anyone tried the Luna charger with a Juiced Bikes battery? Seems like it would work fine with the available adapter and give me the ability to do a 80 or 90% charge when desired and add the ability to fast charge at 4Ah if the need ever arose.
That looks like a great option. I like that the upper voltage and the amperage can be adjusted. Time is definitely on my side for overnight charges and if 1A is better for the life of the pack then that's fine by me. It looks like the barrel adapter would fit the four prong adapter for the HF. The price is pretty good as well.

I don't really know what is considered a charging cycle?

- Every time I plug in the charger is 1 charging cycle

OR

- Is it 1 cycle if I plug in the battery charger to add a certain % level of power above X%

OR

- Is it considered 1 cycle if it take several charge sessions to reach 100% accumulative charge. Example would be a charger on a timer and you only add/use 20% power daily for 5 days to equal 100% would be one charging cycle?

It is hard to define it exactly. Everything is moving along the curve on the graph. At some point of charging we have to consider it "1 cycle" but basically the current thinking is that charging it from 20% to 80% gives the best life span vs. useable capacity.

Partial charging is not as harmful as full charging. Deep discharging and full charging decreases cycle life. High discharge and high charge rate also decrease charge cycles.

In a nutshell, use the middle part of the pack unless you need extra capacity, in which case charge it all they way up. Use the Cycle Satiator to charge to 80% (or wherever) then use the Low Voltage Limit on the LCD display to control the depth of the discharge.

I have two failed Luna chargers. M6 experience is a high fail rate.

Back