How struggling can it be to lift a 60lbs eBike to the 3rd floor?

elideli

Hi guys,

I'm about to order my first eBike which happens to be a fat eBike and apparently this beast weight around 60 lbs. I live in a apartment and I was wondering how heavy it would be to lift it to the third floor? Below is where I live and the stairs I have to face. I'm 30, 180lbs, and in a reasonable shape :)

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

What far bike are you looking at specifically? It is not going to be easy. You could drop ten or so pounds removing the front tire and battery, that would make 2 trips though. Can't use the landing to lock the bike outside? A bike cover could keep it from the elements there, though I guess theft would probably be the bigger concern.

I've been lugging my ~60lb ebike up and down two stories and I think it's terrible. It's do-able, but far from ideal. In contrast, whenever I carry my 28lb FS mountain bike or my ~25lb road bike up and down the stairs, it feels as light as a feather. I think the weight limit for comfortably carrying up and down stairs is ~35-40lbs. My girlfriend has a 57lb Easy Motion Evo Street and it happens to have a convenient handle between the downtube and the seat tube, and I've found that carrying it up and down stairs isn't so bad, so perhaps the shape of your bike frame matters more than the weight of the bike.

That said, lugging your bike up three stories may be better than having your bike stolen or having your bike open to the elements.

@pxpaulx Looking at the Radrover Fat Model, using the landing is too risky, I think taking out the front wheel and the battery is the way to go, doing two trips is not that bad.

@Cameron Newland I agree, I would rather carry the 60lbs than having it stolen.

- Cameron is right, the difference between 30 and 50 lbs is huge going up stairs. LOL
But it's doable if you are healthy. You'll become strong. ;)
Take the battery out, sling it like tri athalon'ers and carry the battery in your hands.
In older times more would see this as a challenge to overcome and get stronger from.
Up 2 floors isn't too much.

@MLB I'm up to the challenge! :D

Thanks for all of you.

Depending on the bike and how much effort you want to put in, I'd say take the battery pack out as that should save you around 6-10 pounds or so depending on the type of battery. It will cause two trips, but still. Hook up a hoist system from the balcony? ;)

As someone who has owned heavy eBikes for 7 years I have to agree with Cameron. Carrying or pushing a 60 lb bike up and down 3 flights of stairs is terrible. Almost like youre punishing yourself.

And if we assume youre capable of hauling a heavy bike, it presents a quandary. Why do you even need an electric bike?... Any who could regularly handle that load has great cardio and muscle strength.

Do you have a bicycle now and do you carry it up and down the stairs? Try a regular bike or borrow one and try that for a few days.. It will help you make up your mind.

If it were me I'd build a lightweight FWD rig so it would be easy to remove the motor and battery.. Then make two trips.

Just a thought....if you get a bike with a thumb throttle ( or walk mode), couldn't you use the bikes own power to help you (slowly and carefully ) walk it up the stairs?
Same way I run a dirt bike up a ramp onto a trailer.

My girlfriend has a 57lb Easy Motion Evo Street and it happens to have a convenient handle between the downtube and the seat tube, and I've found that carrying it up and down stairs isn't so bad

Tinder or dating sites should probably have a graphic for this. Maybe little stacked bikes? So "Whoops, a three ebiker. Swipe.". I think I'm too old for Tinder. Maybe Ashes.

Just a thought....if you get a bike with a thumb throttle ( or walk mode), couldn't you use the bikes own power to help you (slowly and carefully ) walk it up the stairs?
Same way I run a dirt bike up a ramp onto a trailer.

Only if it's a full-suspension bike or a fatbike. Otherwise, I think you might rattle the frame and rear wheel too much for comfort. I guess it's a subjective thing, though. I'm sure there are a lot of folks who wouldn't mind throttling their ebike up the stairs in a very bumpy fashion, but people who really want to treat their bike well would want to avoid that kind of thing.

Only if it's a full-suspension bike or a fatbike. Otherwise, I think you might rattle the frame and rear wheel too much for comfort. I guess it's a subjective thing, though. I'm sure there are a lot of folks who wouldn't mind throttling their ebike up the stairs in a very bumpy fashion, but people who really want to treat their bike well would want to avoid that kind of thing.

A fat tire bike with large diameter tires at a sensible stair- walking speed, should not be too jarring, I would think. You would just need some finite throttle control to keep it from pulling away from you. A controlled decent riding the disc brakes should also minimize the jarring of the bike.
In all honesty I have not tried a fat tired bikes on a stair climb, just dirt bikes.

Some ebikes have a walk mode programmable in the display. If it is available use that to climb the stairs. Reduce tire pressure as well. It will crawl up, with less bounce.

I say no. You may think it's do-able now, but invariably what happens with a bike too heavy to carry up/down all those stairs is you stop doing it, and it sits unused in the apartment. I'd recommend something closer to 40 pounds like a Faraday or E-Glide SS.

Hello, i am wondering if you bought the rover, and how is it going actually in the third floor, how do you find it, i am facing the same issue, i live on the second floor and trying to collect info. as possible regarding this issue before buying it.

Hello, i am wondering if you bought the rover, and how is it going actually in the third floor, how do you find it, i am facing the same issue, i live on the second floor and trying to collect info. as possible regarding this issue before buying it.

I often encounter stairs on some of the trails I ride. As others in this post have suggested, I use the throttle to "power" my 62 pound e-bike up the stairs while walking beside it. This process is sometimes tricky and requires keeping one hand on the throttle and the other on the brake. Some manufacturers have a walking mode programmed into the controller for this purpose which limits the motor power. When descending stairs, make sure to use the rear brake, not the front.

The procedure can be a bit awkward but with a little practice, it can save a lot of effort.

I've been lugging my bikes up and down one flight of stairs for some time now. And doing so has made me really appreciate 20 inch wheels for portability. My only e-bike that I can basically lift and carry with one hand is the Tern Vektron. With all the others it basically becomes a wrestling match. I remove the batteries and locks and grab low on the seat tube and middle of the downtube as I walk a bike up the stairs. For 3 flights of stairs I think you will need to tie the front wheel down to keep the handlebars straight.

I can't wait for some consistently warmer weather and all the bikes can go back to the garage.

Hi guys,

I'm about to order my first eBike which happens to be a fat eBike and apparently this beast weight around 60 lbs. I live in a apartment and I was wondering how heavy it would be to lift it to the third floor? Below is where I live and the stairs I have to face. I'm 30, 180lbs, and in a reasonable shape :)

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
I know I'm late by 3 years o_O and I don't know if you bit the bullet, but here are my 3 year old thoughts...I don't know how long it will take you going up and down 3 floors, but eventually you will regret it big time. It may even cause you to pull a muscle or hurt your knees. And the RadRover is not 60lb but closer to 70lb (68lb from radrover web page). And if you add bag, panniers, add-on equipment (pump, tools, sealant, lock, water bottle, phone holder, etc..) you will definitely be above 70lb. Plus the bike is quite large and unwieldy to carry up so it might feel heavier than 70lb as the weight shifts or a wheel or handlebar gets caught. I don't envy you one bit.

Last edited:
My nearly 60 pound Juiced CCX is miserable to lift. I couldn't imagine carrying it up a flight of stairs. I guess you could remove the 14 pound battery and put it in a backpack and then lug the 45 pound bike up the stairs. I still would hate it.

Hoisting my CCX up onto my Park stand (without the battery) was a miserable experience. Amplified because I'm used to popping my 18 pound CAAD-12 on the stand.

It's a deal breaker for me. No ground-level entry or elevator - no heavy eBike for me!

A few years back, I saw a guy hoist his bike up to the balcony of his second floor garden apartment using a rope and pulley rig. He kept the bike under a cover on the balcony. It was a pretty nice setup but unfortunately, not practical for everyone.

Back