How skilled are you in fixing your ebike ?

In changing my tire yeserday, I did notice that the tire itself seemed awfully thin. I may explore the world of tire liners...
I had my mechanic put Tannus Armour in all 4 tires when he put my two R1Up 700's together, in hopes they will help.

With a Specialized electrak 2.0+tire liners+thorn resistant tube , flats will be part of the past !
It's a heavier setup , but the motor does the work.

I grew up amongst farmers that had to do daily maintenance on an untold number of mechanical machines on a regular basis or the farm didn't run. There is no way a farmer can call or run to a repairman every time something breaks or needs adjustments.
I grew up fixing things so maybe that is why I rather enjoy figuring out fixes on machines and doing maintenance on my bike. It gives me a feeling of satisfaction to have taken care of it myself.
I realize everyone doesn't have the ability to fix and repair mechanical stuff so it can get costly for those if they have a high maintenance machine.
There are times when we all tinker with stuff that is best left alone.
If it ain't broke don't fix it.
I can surely relate to this!

I feel comfortable tackling most general mechanical issues, replacing consumables, etc, but being a relative newbie to the e-bike scene, I’ll defer to the experts. A few days ago, my Creo was blown over by a strong gust of wind onto its drive side during a brief stopover and took a direct hit on the rear derailleur. It didn't shift right after that and I ended up taking it to my LBS to have the rear hanger inspected and re-aligned. I’ve heard of people bending hangers back into place using a wrench but without knowing if either/both horizontal and vertical planes were compromised, my preferred option was to have someone with the proper alignment tool carry out the job. Had them do a firmware update at the same time.

I feel comfortable tackling most general mechanical issues, replacing consumables, etc, but being a relative newbie to the e-bike scene, I’ll defer to the experts. A few days ago, my Creo was blown over by a strong gust of wind onto its drive side during a brief stopover and took a direct hit on the rear derailleur. It didn't shift right after that and I ended up taking it to my LBS to have the rear hanger inspected and re-aligned. I’ve heard of people bending hangers back into place using a wrench but without knowing if either/both horizontal and vertical planes were compromised, my preferred option was to have someone with the proper alignment tool carry out the job. Had them do a firmware update at the same time.
Without proper tools, why bother, right? Plus as much as I critique LBS locations I want them to survive. I had my eBike ( the accoustic side) tuned recently by a LBS. He bought the store end of January. He has totally missed the "boom" due to inventory shortages (Trek) . Anyway he has really fair repair pricing so I had him go over a couple of bikes I was selling and my Fattie. He knows he is competing with online so even his accessories are priced well. He is also a converted MTB'er , single track and D/H. He loves his full suspension Trek eBike.

I had a similar impact while riding off-road and was able to realign the rear derailleur hanger.

The LBS made a good suggestion to order another hanger just in case it happens again. ;)

Very. But don't have the right tools to take 3 piece cranks apart yet. Tried 6 different general/auto pullers on a Pacific Quantum, the *)~*&*@% arm wouldn't come off. Scrapped the frame that the arm center was loose. Might avoid the whole issue of PAS magnet plate install by finding some sort of torque sensor that will communicate with the throttle input on my Luna for MAC controller.
It is a 2.5 hour bus ride to the LBS, I can walk the 4 miles in 1. Then I would have to go back later to pick the bike up. ***** them, I ride over there sometimes to buy tires and other things they don't stock so I don't buy them.

just got my bleed kit. trying to find the right kit with all the parts was just a pain. I have a Shimano brake set and a Magura so this does both and more. will attempt it tomorrow
IMG_1724.jpg

well i got them done. i screwed up on the back as i did that first. i got the pistons too far out when i was cleaning them as one was sticky. not sure if that caused air to get in or i goofed. so i redid it and they were better but i did not squeeze the brake lever to tighten the pistons onto the block so they were about the same as before i started. so i did it again and now it works well. front worked well the first time. man what a messy thing to do. i used this cleaner to clean all the brakes off and the levers. this cleaner works great on brakes but it does clean off the brake pad material off the rotors so you have to bed them in again.
spray cleaner.jpg

Monday I had just installed Schwalbe Marathon GT 365 tires, and took the bike for a ride in my nearby provincial park. Altercation with a stick ultimately destroyed my Alivia derailleur. Wife picked me up. Tires were great on first impression... excellent grip on trails, very quiet on pavement!
Yesterday I retrieved my Norco 2001 XCS-1 dual suspension bike from my daughter, who hasn’t been using it. It was state-of-the-art at the time... RockShox Judy forks and Fox rear coil/piston, Hayes disk brakes, Deore gear system. (Going to get this bike back up to speed now!) And I’ll put the great adjustable stem from my Trek on it.
I borrowed the derailleur for my eBike while I wait for the new long cage Deore to come in. Had to revert back to my OE 11-36 cassette and shorter chain to make it work, but had a great ride!
Except for a flat tire on my new Schwalbe rear tire! Squiggly piece of thin wire, same as my last two flats. Don’t know where I’m picking those up. Anyway, changed out the tube, returned home and ordered some Stan’s small bottle leak stoppers.
At least I was ready for all these eventualities, and I’m up and running again after missing only a rainy day.

Except for a flat tire on my new
It will be part of history once you switch to this ones. Thorn resistant tube. 20$ /piece for a permanent good bye to flats !!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008ZTKYMW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

See my post on page 9 of this :

Last edited:
I had a similar impact while riding off-road and was able to realign the rear derailleur hanger.

The LBS made a good suggestion to order another hanger just in case it happens again. ;)
Flat911 do you do most of your own maintenance or do you use the LBS. And by the way, what is your fave Ebike?

man what a messy thing to do

This job is probably one of the few that i have to go to the bike shop for.

They got me good last time (70$ for both brakes and had to pay them also 50$ for 2 pads) . I had pads at home bought @15$/pair ,they insisted that they could not do the bleed properly w/o new pads. I still don't know if that was true or not ?! Total 120$ but i had the ebike ready in 2hours. If i had done it myself it would have been a huge mess...and a 4-5hour job ?

And it was also the first time in 9k miles that i had the bleed done. They were working okay, now they stop on a dime.

What is the general rule of thumb on how long hydraulic brakes last before they need to be repaired, bled, new pads etc assuming you drive normally no excess brake usage?

What is the general rule of thumb on how long hydraulic brakes last before they need to be repaired, bled, new pads etc assuming you drive normally no excess brake usage?
Probably no rule of thumb here. Given the way you and I ride ( going on your reports here) we can probably go a couple years or so between pad changes. Just guessing though. ;)

I prefer the hybrid model. If it's gonna be spendy at the LBS I do it myself. If it's cheap and not worth my time I let the LBS do it!
But I too am a farmboy. Bailing wire( now zip ties) and WD40 are your friends!

Back