How skilled are you in fixing your ebike ?

I'm kind of in an odd place here.

I am very comfortable with field repairs and fixing the bike enough to limp to a bike shop and getting it really fixed. In the past I've done a lot of work on bikes and am comfortable doing so.

However, over the last few years I've made a conscious decision that I'm going to let my LBS handle fixing and maintaining my bike. While it has been a bit expensive I feel it has worked out extremely well for me. In the end they almost always do a better job than I would, and I'm supporting a local business full of great people.

So mainly what I do these days is keep the tires pumped up, clean the drivetrain, sometimes replace the brake pads, and fix flat tires.

I grew up amongst farmers that had to do daily maintenance on an untold number of mechanical machines on a regular basis or the farm didn't run. There is no way a farmer can call or run to a repairman every time something breaks or needs adjustments.
I grew up fixing things so maybe that is why I rather enjoy figuring out fixes on machines and doing maintenance on my bike. It gives me a feeling of satisfaction to have taken care of it myself.
I realize everyone doesn't have the ability to fix and repair mechanical stuff so it can get costly for those if they have a high maintenance machine.
There are times when we all tinker with stuff that is best left alone.
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I grew up amongst farmers that had to do daily maintenance on an untold number of mechanical machines on a regular basis or the farm didn't run. There is no way a farmer can call or run to a repairman every time something breaks or needs adjustments.
I grew up fixing things so maybe that is why I rather enjoy figuring out fixes on machines and doing maintenance on my bike. It gives me a feeling of satisfaction to have taken care of it myself.
I realize everyone doesn't have the ability to fix and repair mechanical stuff so it can get costly for those if they have a high maintenance machine.
There are times when we all tinker with stuff that is best left alone.
If it ain't broke don't fix it.
I also grew up among farmers and while they had to fix a lot there was always stuff they needed others to fix. I grew up with a strong appreciation of fixing things whenever possible vs disposing of things. But I realize my limitations and that I might make things worse and more expensive to fix in the long run. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it is deeply engrained in my brain as opposed to many fellow car owners who think you have to perform procedures any time you are in the vicinity of certain systems in a car.🤨

I'm an insurance man and fixing things is not one of my bigger strengths, however with that said, Youtube has helped me fix a ton of crap around the house and also on my cars. Would I rather drop it off at the bike shop when it breaks? Heck ya, but after seeing how behind those guys are-and also the attitude that we can get your flat fixed in 3 days, I am now an apprentice Youtube bike mechanic...

Nice bike stand ! How is it working out and how did you attached the ebike to the pole ? Is the umbrella stand 60-75 lb ?

Well, I really don't like doing mechanics stuff (and I don't consider myself good, quite mediocre in fact) but I had to learn the basics because I used to do long rides (on a regular bicycle, at least a century per week back in the days) and I didn't want to be stuck outside in the middle of nowhere.

I'm good with everything involving the tires (tubetype or tubeless). I could also change the cassette, the crankset, the chain and the rim brakes (I'm new to disc brakes, gotta change the pads soon).

I usually let my local bike shop handle truing the wheels and managing the shifting system because I'm really not good at it and at the end of the day after doing those tasks myself, I still have to bring the bike to a professional to finish the job.

As for the electric part of an ebike, I never done anything yet except screwing parts on the bike but cutting a cable in order to put a plug in it still is a mystery to me.

I'm an insurance man and fixing things is not one of my bigger strengths, however with that said, Youtube has helped me fix a ton of crap around the house and also on my cars. Would I rather drop it off at the bike shop when it breaks? Heck ya, but after seeing how behind those guys are-and also the attitude that we can get your flat fixed in 3 days, I am now an apprentice Youtube bike mechanic...
Nice repurposing of a patio umbrella stand! I wouldn’t trust mine to hold my bike up but I always appreciate creative use of what’s lying around!👍

I can do basic flat repair, replace or remove components, or troubleshoot an electrical signal using a multimeter. I fit my BBS01 kit motor that required me to learn to solder (not very well, at school in shop I could barely braze two pieces of metal together and I simply burned holes in metal attempting to weld) but I take my bike to a local bike shop for them to remove the bottom bracket and for anything involving the gears, brakes, or lacing wheels - they’ve built several wheels for me over the past 4 years including 2 IGH and one drum brake wheel. Recently I added Ebike lights so I used YouTube to learn to replace my crappy power wire soldering and crimp on Anderson powerpole connectors. I would benefit taking a bicycle maintenance class, or even check out from the library and read the Park Tool big blue book.

Last edited:
I always appreciate creative use of what’s lying around!👍

I agree! ;)

unnamed.jpg ea5a5dd308b6c4262d672412a8a37992--bicycle-rack-bicycle-decor.jpg images (6).jpg images (7).jpg bikepic2.jpg 283.jpg

The new members may not have seen this ...
Trully, nothing has really changed. Electric stuff just adds more possible complications. Rider or Overhauler, you decide.

After this old insurance agent finished his visit with Charlie Farrell by the airport, he headed home, removed his front tire and swapped out the original tube (slow leak) with a new Mongoose 20x4 and added the Slime! I think that was my first flat repair in about 50 years. I am now in the market for an electric pump!

Attachments

• Slime.jpg
    Slime.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 320
  • Farrell.jpg
    Farrell.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 305
After this old insurance agent finished his visit with Charlie Farrell by the airport, he headed home, removed his front tire and swapped out the original tube (slow leak) with a new Mongoose 20x4 and added the Slime!

I think that was my first flat repair in about 50 years. I am now in the market for an electric pump!

Well done.

I would recommend the cordless 18V electric inflator from Ryobi... also great for carrying in the car if you go off-road. ;)

After this old insurance agent finished his visit with Charlie Farrell by the airport, he headed home, removed his front tire and swapped out the original tube (slow leak) with a new Mongoose 20x4 and added the Slime! I think that was my first flat repair in about 50 years. I am now in the market for an electric pump!
Congratulations. I predict some of those lawn chairs will be coming down off the pegboard for some bicycle Park Tools;)

12 /120 volt run off anything compressor ftw.

Last edited:
I wish, Those are my girlfriends vintage beach chair collection. So far they have collected about 15 years worth of dust. I used one of them last summer and I kid you not, my arse busted through the bottom!

and added the Slime! I

Lost 90min. today due to a flat , and then bought thorn resistant tubes (22$/piece on amazon) and tire liners. That should be a few levels better....If that won't do it, Slime is next,

Having a flat must be the nr. 1 annoying issue associated with bike riding . It may also stop people from taking cycling or ebiking.

Lost 90min. today due to a flat , and then bought thorn resistant tubes (22$/piece on amazon) and tire liners. That should be a few levels better....If that won't do it, Slime is next,

Having a flat must be the nr. 1 annoying issue associated with bike riding . It may also stop people from taking cycling or ebiking.

In changing my tire yeserday, I did notice that the tire itself seemed awfully thin. I may explore the world of tire liners...

Back