How skilled are you in fixing your ebike ?

I do all my bike work, installed my Bafang BBSHD kit, but have drawn the line at opening up the motor for service (now have 6700 miles). On my shelf I have a new Bafang Kit waiting to be put into use. When the first one fails I will attempt to repair it, maybe after a couple of shots of Jack Daniels.

now that my bike has all sealed bearings I should be able to deal with all of that. the dt Swiss hubs don't even take tools to take them apart. one thing I ahve been doing but dont know about lubing the pivot points on my Shimano tx hydraulic levers and the xtr trigger shifter.

Having built a bike from components, I can fix pretty much anything. Problem is not much goes wrong on a bike to fix. Even after a couple of crashes, I find that I need more fixing than the bike does. If you have a front derailleur, then you'll always be fiddling with it, but if you've gone to a single front ring, there's not much that goes out of line with a rear derailleur. So aside from minor tuning of gears, tires and brakes, there's just not that much maintenance required on an E-bike. Basically the same as a car, just no oil changes. I'm thinking it might be a boring winter this year without a bike to build.

FIXING? Ehhh. Maintaining? Sure.
Way back in the day I used to loosen/tighten my spokes to try to ”true” my rims. I wouldn’t touch my ebike rims today. Frankly, I don’t have any idea how to correctly do much beyond cleaning & lubing my drive train, patching & replacing tires & tubes. Thank goodness I have a very well built Allant+7 that hasn’t needed any repair in more than a year and over 2000 miles.😎👍

I will be re greasing some bearings after the rain slows down next year. first time I will have taken a headset a part. but with cartridge bearings it should not be bad. I rebuilt my peddles that was not too bad. my wheels all come part with no tools that will make it really nice. but I never touch spokes.

not very. but improving a little bit.

bikes are a bit mysterious to me. allegedly simple, there are a lot of nuances in how they work. instructions and how-tos throw around words like everyone should know what they mean in this context, but if i knew, i wouldn't need the tutorials. special tools are required for many things. if you have the tool and know how to do it, it's really easy. if you don't, it's nearly impossible.

and on top of that, if you screw something up in just the right way, you could kill yourself.

things i've done successfully:
lube chain
inflate tires
replace seat
replace stem
replace pedals
replace cranks
replace axle bolts
replace chain ring
replace rear driver and rear cassette
replace chain
adjust rear derailleur
change brake pads
align/realign brakes

things i would like to learn how to do soon:
bleed brakes
wrap handlebars
set up/change tubeless tires

i may also get a belt drive kit for my commuter. looks a bit tricky.

Back