How Many Use a GPS On Their Ebike?

6zfshdb

Region
USA
City
Northeast Pennsylvania
Most ebikes have a display which can show speed & distance but not much more relating to the places you ride.

I'm curious how many here use a handlebar mounted GPS receiver or Smartphone. Does your device have the ability to upload files with detailed local information like trail parking areas, trail paths, rest rooms, points of interest, etc. If so, what device do you use and where do you get your upload information?

I use my Apple Watch 3.The activity app on the watch does show time, distance, elevation change, speed, heart rate, and a map of the ride when done. It can give directions—roads only, but am not sure if the activity app can work with it at the same time. The heart rate is pretty accurate. My watch also has the cellular feature which allows me to leave my phone at home, while I can send and receive text phone calls and text messages.
Im also interested in eventually getting a Garmin type device since I’m like moth to a porch light when it comes to tech stuff.

Smartphone, but not handlebar mounted. I do some day trips to other cities and trails. I like to plan a route before I leave home, then just use the smartphone for points of interest or if I start to get lost. I used to do it by dead reckoning since I like to ride river trails. But got lost in Burlington, Iowa looking for a nature preserve. Found out when I got home that I was looking for a proposed trail instead of an actual one. That's when I upgraded phones.

Bosch Nyon...fitness, mapping, ride data, custom screens, custom ride modes, topographical range estimates, GPS Wi-Fi Bluetooth. Not perfect but darn near seamless integration.

I use my Garmin Oregon 550 and usually have it on the Trip Data display showing speed, distance, elevation, heading, and time of day. It gives me an accurate speedometer compared to the inflated speed shown on the Intuvia display. I also like to take the track log from a ride and import it into Garmin's BaseCamp to view the elevation profile and other stats. I also consider the GPS to be a safety device in case I get stranded somewhere, I can get my exact coordinates, view a map, etc. I realize I can do the same thing with my smartphone, but prefer the Garmin.

I take delivery of my bike in a couple of weeks. I'm purchasing a Garmin Edge 520 plus mostly for turn-by-turn directions and as the display for my still to be purchased Garmin Varia RTL510 radar taillight.

Garmin montana 610 /ram mount on the handlebars with some extra maps loaded on it
I ride a lot of forest roads and it is nice to not have to stop, get the iphone out and see where i am going all the time
Just got this gps and am really happy with it

And a garmin inreach inside bike bag/backpack for tracking and emergencies when i am out of cell range - which seems to be often riding in northern az
Love the emergency features on this gps but do not like the small screen, was hoping they would come out with something like the montana with inreach tech in it this year but they did not, so broke down and bought the montana a month ago

Iphone with me all the time in waist pack etc

I also use a Garmin Montana 650T. I've used a lot of GPS units on my bikes over the years and IMO, the Montana is the best model for the job. Sometimes I use a Garmin Oregon 450 as a backup to keep track of the stats while the larger screened Montana displays a map.

You can't beat that RAM mounting system for quality, vibration resistance and ease of use.

I use an off-line capable map on my iPhone called. GALILEO. Loads maps from anywhere in the world and has a great HIKE/BIKE display option that includes known bike trails, contour lines and places of interest including beer and parking and bike shops.

I sometimes use Google Maps on my phone. In spite of its limitations it is far superior to the routing and route you can find with other mapping products. The big downside is that turn-by-turn navigation is a battery hog. The other downside is that it can be a little bit tricky to set up your perfect route and then transfer it to your phone for the turn-by-turn navigation part -- for myself, I use Google Mymaps and judicious editing of the track (including strategic intermediate points) to get the route I want to take.

I also use a Garmin (formerly Delorme) Inreach for emergency purposes. More for backpacking and climbing (had it since 2012) than for biking.

Agree on the ram mount for the garmin montana, great sturdy mount

After trying to use my phone map several times riding in northern az last summer and realizing i had no signal more than half the time i started researching gps

Wanted the montana but saw the inreach and knew the ability to text someone if the bike broke down or i fell etc was invaluable
So i got it the inreach but did not love the screen

This summer got sick of having to get my phone out and look over the maps all the time, wanted something tough/waterproof, big screen and geared more toward forest roads/trails so got the montana, super happy with it

It automatically starts tracking me and if i get off on some small trail, get turned around i can immediately see how to get back where i was
Half the forest roads are not marked or there is a snowmobile trail you think is the road, the montana keeps me from making wrong turns etc and having to backtrack so much

With it and the ram mount it is pretty heavy but for me it is worth the trade off in weight

Again, the GALILEO offline app never runs out of cell phone signal as it uses reloaded maps only needs a weak gps signal and leaves a cookie crumb track to be sure you are on the correct trail. Plus ability to mark and annotate locations. Also the price is right!

i am well aware of the offline apps and they are cool

have gaia on my iphone and like it, but i did not want my $800 iphone on my bike handles

would rather have the tougher $400 garmin gps up there in case i have a wreck

and i like having the iphone secured on me in case somehow my bike got taken from me, i ride out by myself in the middle of nowhere all the time

to each his own

I use the phone Android, with the Here Maps application, download the map of your region, it is a mapped system and has a selectable option of "out of 4g coverage". You do not need to have 4g coverage to work. It works quite well even within of the forest and allows you to see the track or road closest to your place. I bought Mercedes / Crysler for their cars.

AN extra powerpack to hold the battery of the android phone more time and a miniusb-miniusb cable to connect the control of the yamaha and the android phone and operate and charge the battery of the phone

I have a Garmin Montana I had been using on my ADV motorcycle. When I got a new BMW R1200GSA it came with a NAV VI. So I thought I didn't need my Montana anymore. Was about ready to sell it when I bought my ebike. I've ordered a RAM mount and will use it on my ebike! Saved me 300 bucks from buying a Garmin Edge Plus (I realize they aren't the exact same thing, but being able to 'reuse' my Montana which I know how to use is great)

One advantage of using a GPS is the ability to load your own personalized maps and data files. For Garmin users, their free Basecamp software allows you to both upload maps / files as well as download your tracks. This is a great feature if you want to keep a record of your rides.

You can use Basecamp to load a wide variety of maps available from many internet sources. One of my favorites is:

https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/

Maps are free and legal to use but donations are appreciated.

Back