How Many Use a GPS On Their Ebike?

My Haibike came with the Cobi system. It uses the openstreetsmap api. You can upload the data for your region to save on data. It looks pretty slick and works well as long as your bluetooth is connected. I wish it was more customizable though.

https://cobi.bike/product

I use a Garmin Nuvi in my car but it's older and has to be plugged in at all times because the internal battery is pretty much shot. I looked at and considered a Garmin GPS for my bike but I just can't justify spending the $$$ when I already have a smartphone (android), holder, mount, and an external battery pack, along with multiple free GPS apps including offline mapping.

I need turn by turn audible directions (because I'm just that directionally challenged) and I'm able to load routes in advance to my "Ride With GPS" app or use Google Maps (even offline) if necessary.

Sure I'd love another techie toy because who wouldn't, but I really can't justify purchasing it. I'm never riding off road.

I use a Garmin Nuvi in my car but it's older and has to be plugged in at all times because the internal battery is pretty much shot. I looked at and considered a Garmin GPS for my bike but I just can't justify spending the $$$ when I already have a smartphone (android), holder, mount, and an external battery pack, along with multiple free GPS apps including offline mapping.

I need turn by turn audible directions (because I'm just that directionally challenged) and I'm able to load routes in advance to my "Ride With GPS" app or use Google Maps (even offline) if necessary.

Sure I'd love another techie toy because who wouldn't, but I really can't justify purchasing it. I'm never riding off road.

Many ebikes, including my Pedego, have USB ports for charging smartphones. If your bike has this feature, you could mount your old Nuvi on your handlebar. You would need a compatible power cable and a suitable mount though.

For most Garmin road navigation devices, you can get replacement batteries with a mini tool kit and video to show you how to do the work for under $20 on eBay. In some cases it is less than $10. I have 6 Garmin devices and have done this on my older units with no problem. If you have a Garmin with lifetime map updates, this is worth doing. If not.... well, not so much.

no usb port on bike, nuvi does not have lifetime maps. I prefer cycling apps on my smartphone that incorporate gps.

Laughing and crying a bit. When I picked up my Turbo Levo FSR last night, I said "what the heck" and bought the Garmin Edge 520 Plus as the salesman told me that there is an App on it which will provide me with realtime data on my battery. Thats the one thing my Montana wouldn't be able to provide as it has no bluetooth. Being new to ebikes, I'm a bit paranoid or overly conscious about how much battery remains. The FSR does not come with any display and one could look down (not while riding) and see how many LEDs remain. OR use the Specialized app on their phone. But I don't want to risk my phone falling off or being damaged in a crash.

Well after purchasing the Edge 520 Plus. I find Specialized hasn't created an app for the 520 Plus! Ugh! I should have just used my Montana! Oh well, it'll happen.

On a side note, I'm really excited to get off of work and go for my first ride!

I take delivery of my bike in a couple of weeks. I'm purchasing a Garmin Edge 520 plus mostly for turn-by-turn directions and as the display for my still to be purchased Garmin Varia RTL510 radar taillight.

Update: Actually I changed my mind and just purchased the Lezyne Mega C through Amazon. Should have it tomorrow. I decided against going the Varia RTL510 radar taillight route.

I am considering converting my bike to electric. Has anyone paired a Garmin Edge Explore to a Bafang BBS02 via ANT+ so that one display can be used for GPS, pedal assist control, speed, battery level, etc.?

Samsung smartphone and smart watch which I had before the bike, the watch has turn by turn directions, I'm loathe to have too much going on on my handlebars.

I use my old Garmin Edge 200 (still works great) . Download the rides, track miles, times, and routes to Garmin Connect .
For navigation, if needed, an iPhone is pulled out of the Acorn handlebar bag.

Again, the GALILEO offline app never runs out of cell phone signal as it uses reloaded maps only needs a weak gps signal and leaves a cookie crumb track to be sure you are on the correct trail. Plus ability to mark and annotate locations. Also the price is right!
The cell service is no longer an issue with google maps. You can highlight a region and download it to your phone for use offline. The GPS on phones is really very good compared to the earlier versions of Garmin GPS I used 10-15 years ago. I use a retired and scrubbed Iphone 5 if I want to go this route. Then I don't worry so much about damaging or losing my everyday phone.

Back