How many miles do you have on your ebike?

To each his/her own, but I find it somewhat satisfying to look at the miles pile up and be able to say, holy cow, I’ve ridden more than halfway around the earth. Time to get out there and go the rest of the way, and such like.

Plus, being on the wrong side of 70 now, it’s nice to look at the year over year total and see that I’m still matching or bettering the long set standard… 3000 miles a year in my case, many here are way past that. Goal orientation, keeping focus. “You’ve got to get obsessed and stay obsessed.”

2016 model year Haibike Full FatSix. Yamaha PW drive. Placed into service, April 2017.

View attachment 104108

View attachment 104109
Each thousand mile block is a reason to snap a pic and watch the odometer click me over into the next block to accomplish.

View attachment 104110
So, in 16 thousand miles, this is what I had to do regards to repairs apart from the usual flat tires on ocassion: replaced the large, front 44 tooth chain ring and chain; worn out of specs cause I rode on the original 10 speed, Shimano HG chain for 11 thousand miles; severely wearing down the sprocket teeth! And my rear spoke magnet loosened up on me on one of my trail rides, so I stopped, realigned and tightened the magnet. That was early on, about 4 years ago. Replaced the LCD display battery once. Picked up 3 500wh batteries to lengthen my riding capability along the way. I ride exclusively in the High power setting all the time. No funny noises in the drive train, no glitches, no nothing but spot-on, dead reliable service. My own experience is why I will always say the Yamaha ebike drive system is the best, most reliable thing on the market. Completed an earlier 20 plus mile ride (on asphalt, in full suspension luxury! :) ) this morning, so, it's onto the next block of a thousand miles!
Awesome ride!!!

Goal orientation, keeping focus.
I think that you can take anything that is inherently fun in and of itself and make it unfun simply by applying a score keeper. That perverts it. Weather spending time with a love, a lover, or in appreciation of nature. Then the important part, the intrinsic, is lost. I remove odometers, and speedometers, as well as throttles to make bikes fun again, in-and-of themselves. Unfocused big picture time without goals or scores it what it is all about if you truly love something for what it is. When some guy says "I scored with her" does he love her? That statement proves he does not. The values are gone.

I think that you can take anything that is inherently fun in and of itself and make it unfun simply by applying a score keeper. That perverts it. Weather spending time with a love, a lover, or in appreciation of nature. Then the important part, the intrinsic, is lost. I remove odometers, and speedometers, as well as throttles to make bikes fun again, in-and-of themselves. Unfocused big picture time without goals or scores it what it is all about if you truly love something for what it is. When some guy says "I scored with her" does he love her? That statement proves he does not. The values are gone.
I don't think I think like you think. Sometimes giving a corner of my mind something to focus on, like avg speed or cadence, frees up my mind to actually enjoy the ride.

I don't think I think like you think. Sometimes giving a corner of my mind something to focus on, like avg speed or cadence, frees up my mind to actually enjoy the ride.
Okay. Fair enough. I remember the first Prius and its prominent real-time millage read out. People would make a game of driving by that.

The ride stats give me an extra incentive to ride even more.
In the very last days of 2020, I was forcing myself to get the 5,000 mile yearly goal. It made me riding in the rain in December! Now, I have passed the 9000 km mark for 2021 in October. The 10k goal seems to be easily achievable.

Also, being informed allows for really long rides. When someone here says he'd remove all the meters just for fun of riding, I might ask how he could do a 70, 80, or a 100 miler on an e-bike without as basic information as the battery range? How can he estimate the time needed for a really long ride (to be able, for instance, be back at home before the sunset)?

I have hit my limit energy wise and time wise. 30+ miles a day and a bit more on a weekend eats up a lot of time. 250 miles in a week is a lot when you ride every day. time for a rain ride here in portland its 70 and raining a bit strange.

today is the 1 year anniversary of receiving my Cyrusher XF800, I have 15,864 miles as of today. I commute to work on it 4 days a week (25 miles each way) and knock out 40-60 miles on the weekend just 'cause.

my year in review.
3 sets of tires, ready for set #4
6 sets of brake pads.
2 sets of brake rotors.
Warranty replaced rear fork due to failure
5 chains.
Total cost of about $700 in maintenance items in 15,000 miles. I have spent an additional $700 or so in upgrades, lights, grips, rack pack, helmet, chainrings, etc.
The advantage. Prior to using the bike to commute I was spending $300+ a month in gas for the car, now I am averaging $60 (except the past month due to the knee issue).
I have only put 3,500 miles on my car since Feb 2021. So I am now on a reduced mileage insurance program which is saving me $50/month.
So with the savings in fuel and insurance, I guesstimate I have saved about $4,000 this past year which offsets the purchase of the bike and the cost of maintenance items.
All in all a good year.

I forgave the car in favor of electric bikes. The thing that goes Bing is not required, nor wanted.
That shite is a distraction to reality in the moment. When I am monitoring what is going on real time it is all intrinsic, not out sourced.

Back