How many kms have you done before replacing your battery?

Do you mean to ask kms prior to CHARGING the battery?

As we all ride in different terrain which greater effects the miles/charge, the better question would be, how many recharges can I expect from my battery. Of course that will depend on how you recharge. I expect that using best practices to get about 1,600 recharges and about 30 K miles (more than twice the mileage when compare to worst practices).

How to charge was discussed in this thread and would provide interesting reading. https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/e-bike-battery-guide.24443/

As we all ride in different terrain which greater effects the miles/charge, the better question would be, how many recharges can I expect from my battery. Of course that will depend on how you recharge. I expect that using best practices to get about 1,600 recharges and about 30 K miles (more than twice the mileage when compare to worst practices).

How to charge was discussed in this thread and would provide interesting reading. https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/e-bike-battery-guide.24443/
I read someone like sofar my battery have been fully recharged 123 x but i have no clue for mine, how to find out?? That is why my question has that formulation. Maybe you can tell me how, where to look for my Haibike 2017/Yamaha 500 Wh with large rectangular display. 30K with what size battery? Here is the link https://winora-group.com/manuals/2017/specs/HAI_sduro_specs/HAI_SDURO_hardseven_60.pdf

I don't believe I've ever heard of a battery that maintains the number of charge cycles it's been exposed to.

Bosch and Specialized (and judging for the OP's comments so does Haibike/Yamaha) have monitoring systems which included counts of the number of recharges.

It seems to me, the OP is purchasing a used e-bike and is trying to get a feel of how much use he will get before the battery needs replacement. When English is a second language, that is not always easy.

I am just curious. I pedal than recharge. I guess in about 4 years i will need a new battery. It might be a brand thing or an app thing.
I have no cell, just a 5$ watch and an 8 years old laptop. So for me range is 4, 5 hrs, no clue about elevation, do not care about speed.
In Quebec Ebikes are too new, asking a shop is just wasting time.

OK no one really answered the question because either someone hasn't taken the time to record their final total mileage or just didn't care about it.

So lets make a guess. If my 500 Wh battery can sustain 1000 recharges and go 60 kms (40 miles) per charge the I can expect to get 60000 kms. But if I get 200 charges then that comes out to 120,000 kms etc ...you get the idea. But I am not to sure if it's a linear degradation of the battery.

From Lunaa Battery site:

"A quality battery pack made from authentic name-brand 18650-format cells should last for over 1000 charge and dis-charge cycles. If you drain your battery pack once a week, then your pack should last over 3 years. However, you might be able to more than double the battery packs life by charging it at a lower (slower) charge rate (3A instead of the faster 5A or 7A), and also if you only charge the pack to 80% of its maximum voltage.

You won't be losing 20% of your potential range, you might lose only 5% of possible range, but...that is well worth making the expensive battery pack last over twice as long. (6 years instead of 3 years?)."

Now as for cost of the battery over time. My battery cost $500 and we stick to the simplistic scenario that I outlined then the hardware costs over time equals $500/60000 kms = 0.83 cents per km. But 500 Watts charging costs at 12 cents per kilowatt so each charge cycle comes out to 6 cents or so. These are all guesses and estimates and a simple thought experiment of course. So your total electrical costs would be $60 for 60,000 kms. BTW I calculate to go 60,000 kms with my car it costs $7334 ($Can).

So the total costs per kilometre works out to 0.1 cents charging costs/km and 0.83 cents/km for the battery = 0.93 cents/km.

Ok so now my Scion xB costs 12.2 cents per km (with 56.7 km/L at $1.50/L). So that's 15 times cheaper for those who want to know the numbers.

Chime in if you think my simple calculations are making the wrong assumptions or just incorrect.

Last edited:
OK no one really answered the question because either someone hasn't taken the time to record their final total mileage or just didn't care about it.

So lets make a guess. If my 500 Wh battery can sustain 1000 recharges and go 60 kms (40 miles) per charge the I can expect to get 60000 kms. But if I get 200 charges then that comes out to 120,000 kms etc ...you get the idea. But I am not to sure if it's a linear degradation of the battery.

From Lunaa Battery site:

"A quality battery pack made from authentic name-brand 18650-format cells should last for over 1000 charge and dis-charge cycles. If you drain your battery pack once a week, then your pack should last over 3 years. However, you might be able to more than double the battery packs life by charging it at a lower (slower) charge rate (3A instead of the faster 5A or 7A), and also if you only charge the pack to 80% of its maximum voltage.

You won't be losing 20% of your potential range, you might lose only 5% of possible range, but...that is well worth making the expensive battery pack last over twice as long. (6 years instead of 3 years?)."

Now as for cost of the battery over time. My battery cost $500 and we stick to the simplistic scenario that I outlined then the hardware costs over time equals $500/60000 kms = 0.83 cents per km. But 500 Watts charging costs at 12 cents per kilowatt so each charge cycle comes out to 6 cents or so. These are all guesses and estimates and a simple thought experiment of course. So your total electrical costs would be $60 for 60,000 kms. BTW I calculate to go 60,000 kms with my car it costs $7334 ($Can).

So the total costs per kilometre works out to 0.1 cents charging costs/km and 0.83 cents/km for the battery = 0.93 cents/km.

Ok so now my Scion xB costs 12.2 cents per km (with 56.7 km/L at $1.50/L). So that's 15 times cheaper for those who want to know the numbers.

Chime in if you think my simple calculations are making the wrong assumptions or just incorrect.

My owners manual suggest 500-750 cycles so if i average 60k/charge = 30,000 kms or more.
I guess in 2 years many will know real life results. Of course getting 3 years for 600$ is not expensive but a potential buyer might not offer much for a used Ebike not knowing when that expense will come.

Don't know that state of battery will that big a deal when time to sell. Consider many new ebikes come with software showing the level of charge the battery will take, the higher the level the better the battery's condition. And given the number of charge cycles are known, then the number of miles of future use could be estimated. The software is adding real value.

Back