How good is the Como 4.0 AND does the motor break down?

I have the como 4.0 and have ridden it about 180 miles. It is a very nice bike. It has been about perfect for me. It has exceeded my expectations.

I use it to commute 16 miles roundtrip. I am in the sport or turbo mode always. I don’t recall ever using eco mode. I am riding at 15 to 23 mph, and maybe a bit faster on the downhills.

I think the brose motors are the best brand. Very quiet and smooth. Quieter and smoother than the other brands. I almost don’t know it is there, except I am going faster.

I have never heard of one breaking, but if mine did, I expect the shop will fix it.

I suggest riding the como 4.0 and comparing it to other brands. For me it felt better than the others that I tried. I am very happy with the bike.

I have test driven many bikes and by far the Brose motor used in Specialized (and in my iZip Moda) is the best center drive e-bike system out there. I have 1500 miles on my bike and it is great. I asked on the Brose forum and got some responses. I think that I will ask the question on the specialized forum and try to find out what the reliability is for Brose motors.

The Brose system is the most natural feeling and quietest of the mid drive systems that I have test driven (Bosch, Yamaha, Brose). I liked the Specialized even better than my iZip but the Specialized is a lot more expensive than my iZip. I wish that I could tune things like you can with Specialized though.

I have test driven many bikes and by far the Brose motor used in Specialized (and in my iZip Moda) is the best center drive e-bike system out there. I have 1500 miles on my bike and it is great. I asked on the Brose forum and got some responses. I think that I will ask the question on the specialized forum and try to find out what the reliability is for Brose motors.

The Brose system is the most natural feeling and quietest of the mid drive systems that I have test driven (Bosch, Yamaha, Brose). I liked the Specialized even better than my iZip but the Specialized is a lot more expensive than my iZip. I wish that I could tune things like you can with Specialized though.

Agreed Ricky!
The Brose motor on my Vado is incredible. Like gliding on butter 🚴🏾‍♂️😊

Last edited:
I’ve heard the frames crack.
OLD NEWS and they weren't frames cracking they were likely Welds not done correctly : After all aluminum Welds are basically Art : I don't worry about a frame when Specialize says Lifetime Warranty: Even at 4K . The como 5 is a really soolid well made machine : Some of these companies I think are way over pricing these E-Bikes because they are a Hot ticket right now

OLD NEWS and they weren't frames cracking they were likely Welds not done correctly : After all aluminum Welds are basically Art : I don't worry about a frame when Specialize says Lifetime Warranty: Even at 4K . The como 5 is a really soolid well made machine : Some of these companies I think are way over pricing these E-Bikes because they are a Hot ticket right now
Kinda splitting hairs there with the weren't frames cracking comment. Did they replace the frames or the welds? Seems like a frame issue to me. Personally, I prefer a bike that doesn't need a frame change. I thought motor bolts came loose, stressed a piece of the frame, and that cracked. Glad you like the company though.

When you buy Specialized, Trek, or Giant, you never have to worry - the 'big-3'. 👍
They are the ones everything else is measured against.
Surely there some other good brands, some with good longevity, like Raleigh, Norco, Haibike, Yamaha, Motobecane, Cannondale, etc. None of them have market share like the big 3. At least in these parts.

Not a weld. My frame cracked on 2018 Como 2.0 where the motor is mounted. Specialized replaced the bike.

Kinda splitting hairs there with the weren't frames cracking comment. Did they replace the frames or the welds? Seems like a frame issue to me. Personally, I prefer a bike that doesn't need a frame change. I thought motor bolts came loose, stressed a piece of the frame, and that cracked. Glad you like the company though.
That is exactly what happened to me.

Back