How fast is too fast for you?

obviously depends a lot on the road and the bike, but assuming ideal conditions : good smooth dry pavement and gentle or properly banked turns, 45mph or so. strava shows quite a few peaks in the 50mph range but i doubt that's accurate. more "typical" conditions where the paving might be rough, unknown, maybe a little bit of sand, gravel, debris, etc, i'd guess 40mph.

pedaling hard fast downhill at 30+ is one of the most wonderful things about cycling!

I tried to break my 60 km/h mark (37 mph) on few occasions going downhill but never succeeded, always missing by 1 or 2 km/h. I must confess that my temerity is larger than my E-bike potential.

I tried to break my 60 km/h mark (37 mph) on few occasions going downhill but never succeeded, always missing by 1 or 2 km/h. I must confess that my temerity is larger than my E-bike potential.
Here is the definitive answer to how fast is too fast.
Not for the faint of heart or overly fearful peeps ! :

Answer, there is no definitive answer ! Go as fast as you like !
If that scared you don't even think of watching this one !:

Last edited:
How fast is too fast? When I'm going fast enough to wonder if my health/life insurance is paid up to date.

More seriously, there's so many factors to consider...... Like the potential for a deer to step out in front of your noiseless bike, a car to pull out from an unseen driveway, etc. etc. Then there's the bike itself. Is it feeling rock solid, or maybe a little dodgy. The surface you're on, conditions, the list goes on and on.

Worth mentioning I think, is that riding your brakes down a scary hill is a bad plan. Same as when you're in a car or truck, that practice will have you smelling your brakes soon. Grabbing a hand full of brake and slowing significantly/quickly then releasing (to let them cool for a few seconds) then repeating as necessary, has way less tendency to overheat the brakes..... -Al

In my younger days, fast was fun. At this point I prefer speeds that I can maintain control. Whe have a lot of loose gravel conditions here as well as wildlife that crosses the roads without notice. Riding for me is a journey not a race.

How fast is too fast? When I'm going fast enough to wonder if my health/life insurance is paid up to date.

More seriously, there's so many factors to consider...... Like the potential for a deer to step out in front of your noiseless bike, a car to pull out from an unseen driveway, etc. etc. Then there's the bike itself. Is it feeling rock solid, or maybe a little dodgy. The surface you're on, conditions, the list goes on and on.

Worth mentioning I think, is that riding your brakes down a scary hill is a bad plan. Same as when you're in a car or truck, that practice will have you smelling your brakes soon. Grabbing a hand full of brake and slowing significantly/quickly then releasing (to let them cool for a few seconds) then repeating as necessary, has way less tendency to overheat the brakes..... -Al
Exactly. I always pump my brakes on downhill runs on gravel trails and sometimes on pavement if it feels like it's bit too fast.

Exactly. I always pump my brakes on downhill runs on gravel trails and sometimes on pavement if it feels like it's bit too fast.

In my younger days, fast was fun. At this point I prefer speeds that I can maintain control. Whe have a lot of loose gravel conditions here as well as wildlife that crosses the roads without notice. Riding for me is a journey not a race.
Right, go as fast as you like.

We have a lot of hills in Illinois around our house, some fairly steep but they aren’t long enough to go really fast. Usually about 30 mph feels fast enough for me. We road some trails yesterday day that had very fine smooth gravel. 20 mph was about fast enough for me.

So this is a question that came up amongst friends recently. How fast on a downhill is too fast? Of course, a lot of variables go into that so go ahead and explain it all to me.

For me, typically my comfort zone is around 20-25 mph on unpaved roads and 30-35 mph on paved roads. But this can vary quite a bit depending on the condition of my tires and brakes, the actual road surface, weather, and traffic.

I've also noticed that on very long downhills, my average speed is quite a bit higher in the very lower fraction than in the upper parts. Also, for clarification, my definition of "very long downhill" is usually on the order of ten miles and 2500+ feet of elevation loss.

In great conditions with new tires and brakes I've hit 35 mph on unpaved roads a handful of times.

For absolute fastest speeds ever for me, on an arrow-straight section of very lonesome highway in Eastern Washington with brand new butter-smooth asphalt, no traffic and no wind I hit 48 mph through a very broad valley.
This was on new tires and new brakes as well. Unfortunately, such optimum karma only occurs once or twice per year.
My average speeds are in the 14-16 mph range. There are a couple of spots on my usual route where I can go 24-26 For a few hundred yards, but traffic and immediate climbs keep it short. I’ve had rides where I can go around 20 for a while, but it’s rare.

I do have a stretch when I‘m really home with a half mile long shallow slope where I can et it al out and have hit 34 mph under pedal power. That’s plenty fast for me.

So this is a question that came up amongst friends recently. How fast on a downhill is too fast? Of course, a lot of variables go into that so go ahead and explain it all to me.

For me, typically my comfort zone is around 20-25 mph on unpaved roads and 30-35 mph on paved roads. But this can vary quite a bit depending on the condition of my tires and brakes, the actual road surface, weather, and traffic.
Me too.

I have however seen 65mph (not sure of the exact top speed as I was watching the road more carefully) a few times in Colorado on some long downhills on an analog bike with 700x20 or 23 tires. Funny what goes through your mind at those speeds (contact patch size, tire quality/condition, tube quality/condition, road quality/condition, when was the last time I replaced the brake pads, is my life insurance paid up, etc. etc. 😁 ).

I do know not to ride the brakes down a hill but I definitely use them to get speed under control
So far never had any brake fade but always worry about it and am careful

wow, you guys ride WAY faster than me! i might have hit 25-26 mph downhill on pavement 2-3 times accidentally , 20-22 mph and i am riding the brakes
my average speed is 9-12mph
I average 8-9 mph. There is a hill where I peak @ 30 mph; with a tailwind a little higher. With risk of deer at the bottom stream crossing I won't risk higher. Actually there is risk of wildlife everywhere in this county. I've had raccoon chew their way into my garage, and have seen opposums, groundhogs, fox & larger dogs in my yard. I live in town 1 mile from the country courthouse. I was knocked over by a dog once. Glad I was pedaling 6 mph uphill. Groceries spilled all over State 3.

what is the top speed anybody here has reached pedaling not ghost pedaling? going downhill one can only pedal up to a certain speed as you run out gear like on my bike 10 tooth (emtb).

That number is going to be cadence limited. With experience analog bike riders can sustain over 100rpm with higher numbers for short periods. The most popular top end gearing for a road bike is 53x11, but there are some higher ratios available if you want to put together something a bit more custom.

In my case I have a road bike with a small rear hub motor and my top end gearing is 52x12. With the assist of 200-300w on level ground I can occasionally spin that top gear to get speeds around 50kph .... but I'm more comfortable keeping my cadence under 90rpm so that's a top speed under 50kph (and lower if I'm trying to get better mileage out of the battery). In general I try to ride in the 35-40kph range with 200w or less.

This calculator will give you all the permutations for various gearing and tire sizes - https://www.bikecalc.com/speed_at_cadence

For me, typically my comfort zone is around 20-25 mph on unpaved roads and 30-35 mph on paved roads.
Over 25 miles an hour, my brakes are inadequate and my noodle definitely can't take a higher speed brain bang.

After a few years of 30-34MPH BBSHDs, I finally settled on a 20MPH max. Cheaper 36V high Ah batteries and 350W-600W motors from trusted brand name sources are completely sustainable. FOR ME 4 falls last year due to health issues made me wake up. I tried the ebikeling and KT stuff but FOR ME I found pricier kits to be far less of an adventure. I want to ride not post for help. That makes me a Grin fanboy. My Grin controllers will run 36V, 48V, and 52V batteries and with the available programming run 36V at more than satisfying mileage.

32MPH was fun but the stopping distances were abysmal. I've really changed over the short 8 years I've been kiting bikes.

I even wear a helmet on EVERY ride. A HUGE change for me after 60 years sans helmet.

Road rash and MRSA pushed me to trikes. But regardless I'll still be helmeted.

Growing up sucks...

I got lucky, same girl for 49 years we're DINKS (Double Income No Kids). She has always given me the space and encouagement to truly have a Peter Pan life.

IF I had a bike capable of the sort of sopping distances I had with my Vespa GTS 250 I'd be more comfortable. But having tried a dozen bikes, LBS models, and my own builds, eBike brakes can have incredibly long braking distances. I railed on this a number of times. NO ONE ACTUALLY TESTS THEIR PANIC-STOPPING DISTANCES. DUMB! These are the sorts of issues that you youngsters will have to deal with when rules a statutes catch up. We've bb\een blessed to date but mark my words. RULZ IS COMING. But statistically, I'll be having a dirt nap before that happens.

In the meantime, ride it like you stole it!

NO ONE ACTUALLY TESTS THEIR PANIC-STOPPING DISTANCES. DUMB!

There is a reason I have an Ice-Tec 203 mm front rotor and SRAM Code 4-piston brakes. Seriously, I highly recommend downhill MTB brakes for any e-bike.

for clarification, my definition of "very long downhill" is usually on the order of ten miles and 2500+ feet of elevation loss.
That kind of hill might, I say might, exist in Tennessee in the Smokey Mountains. Around here (Nashville area, where I ride mostly), a long hill might be a mile or two with a max elevation change of about 400 to 500 feet, and that's rare.

Putting that aside, I'm not sure I've ever seen 40 mph on my speedometer; I do recall mid- to upper thirties. I didn't mind the speed so much as the fact I was on a curvy multi-use trail, so while I was kind of enjoying the speed I was thinking more about how stupid I was being. Fortunately, no problems. The hill was steep but probably not even a quarter mile.

For just riding on the level, my bike tops out at about 25 mph, which I really enjoy on a straight run with plenty of visibility and no one in sight. I ride some paths that have a 15 mph speed limit and I enjoy those too.

TT

Back