How fast is my Vado 3.0 suppose to go?

My Vado 3.0 seems to be limiting me to 17 ish mph then giving me resistance.

I live in the USA and this seems to slow as people have been saying it can go over 25mph. What gives?

It does depend on where you are and what local laws are. Here in NZ they can go 45km/h, in Europe only 27 (17ish mph) and I would expect 20mph (32km/h) as a Class 1 in USA/Massachusetts. So I'd suspect the dealer/distributor has set it up with the wrong region.

I understand the Vado 3.0 is sold in the US with restriction as either 20mph or 28mph. Don’t really understand why assist would cut off at 17mph. Did you check your speed with a gps or anything else not just your Vado’s display?
The limit in EU is 25km/h, 15.5 mph, for non-registered ebikes. Registered and insured ebikes can have motor assist up till 45km/h, 28mph.
I don’t think your Vado is set up for European restrictions.

It does depend on where you are and what local laws are. Here in NZ they can go 45km/h, in Europe only 27 (17ish mph) and I would expect 20mph (32km/h) as a Class 1 in USA/Massachusetts. So I'd suspect the dealer/distributor has set it up with the wrong region.

This must be it, I purchased it in Massachusetts. When I first got the bike it was in Kph. The I had them switch it over to mph at the shop and it showing maybe a little higher than 17 now. Since I have since moved to New Hampshire maybe they can get it going faster.

Last edited:
This must be it, I purchased it in Massachusetts. When I first got the bike it was in Kph. The I had them switch it over to mph at the shop and it showing maybe a little higher than 17 now. Since I have since moved to New Hampshire maybe they can get it going faster.
It should go to 28 mph with firmware upgrades. Goodale's Bike Shop in Nashua should be able to do this. Be aware that the gearing is not really appropriate for that speed. With the 40 tooth front sprocket, your cruising will likely be more comfortable around 20 mph. A 48T front sprocket (Vado 5.0/6.0) is required to keep cadence reasonable above 25 mph. Also, the rear cluster tends to wear out faster with the 40T chain ring because you will tend to be using the 11T and 13T rear sprockets a lot more.

It should go to 28 mph with firmware upgrades. Goodale's Bike Shop in Nashua should be able to do this. Be aware that the gearing is not really appropriate for that speed. With the 40 tooth front sprocket, your cruising will likely be more comfortable around 20 mph. A 48T front sprocket (Vado 5.0/6.0) is required to keep cadence reasonable above 25 mph. Also, the rear cluster tends to wear out faster with the 40T chain ring because you will tend to be using the 11T and 13T rear sprockets a lot more.
You’re right, to go 28mph the cadence has to be 90 in highest gear (11 rear). Don’t think the Vado 3.0 originally was intended to be a 28mph ebike.
But ...
I find it more interesting to find out if or why the Vado was really delivered in the US with display set to show km/h or with a European software(restriction)
If I remember correctly the Bloks displays could be changed from mph to km/h by the owner, not needing software at Specialized dealer. ( can’t check that as all I have left is the Bloks display but could look in the manual)

I understand the Vado 3.0 is sold in the US with restriction as either 20mph or 28mph. Don’t really understand why assist would cut off at 17mph. Did you check your speed with a gps or anything else not just your Vado’s display?
The limit in EU is 25km/h, 15.5 mph, for non-registered ebikes. Registered and insured ebikes can have motor assist up till 45km/h, 28mph.
I don’t think your Vado is set up for European restrictions.
You’re right, to go 28mph the cadence has to be 90 in highest gear (11 rear). Don’t think the Vado 3.0 originally was intended to be a 28mph ebike.
But ...
I find it more interesting to find out if or why the Vado was really delivered in the US with display set to show km/h or with a European software(restriction)
If I remember correctly the Bloks displays could be changed from mph to km/h by the owner, not needing software at Specialized dealer. ( can’t check that as all I have left is the Bloks display but could look in the manual)

This is a funny story actually.

When I first got it I could not figure out for the life of me how to change the display so I brought it to the bike shop I bought it at and they said they needed to change it over. When I picked it up It was in imperial units but the software was totally broken. It wouldn’t let me change the assist level and hardly ever showed the speed whatsoever.

I brought it back immediately and they worked on it for like 3 weeks and claimed that they were working with specialized to sort out a problem “they had not seen before”.

They ended up fixing it. But needless to say I will bring it elsewhere from now on.

This is a funny story actually.

When I first got it I could not figure out for the life of me how to change the display so I brought it to the bike shop I bought it at and they said they needed to change it over. When I picked it up It was in imperial units but the software was totally broken. It wouldn’t let me change the assist level and hardly ever showed the speed whatsoever.

I brought it back immediately and they worked on it for like 3 weeks and claimed that they were working with specialized to sort out a problem “they had not seen before”.

They ended up fixing it. But needless to say I will bring it elsewhere from now on.
Jeez.. :eek:
I do hope you get everything sorted out. The Vado is fun to ride.

I bought my Vado 3.0 at Landry’s in Massachusetts. The display was set for km but it always hit 28 mph. I was able to change the setting for km/mph myself. I agree with the above comments that the bike is not really optimized for 28 mph, and I wore out the chain and sprocket at 1100 miles.

I bought my Vado 3.0 at Landry’s in Massachusetts. The display was set for km but it always hit 28 mph. I was able to change the setting for km/mph myself. I agree with the above comments that the bike is not really optimized for 28 mph, and I wore out the chain and sprocket at 1100 miles.

Do you have a 40 or 48 tooth chain ring? I purchased from Specialized a 48 tooth chain ring and guard which I installed on my 3.0 Como. It made a huge difference. If you know how to work on bikes it is pretty easy though you need some specialized tools...total cost was $63 which included 5$ for a special tool. You also will need a new chain. Took me about 45 minutes to R&R (remove and reinstall).

I bought my Vado 3.0 ... it always hit 28 mph. ... I agree with the above comments that the bike is not really optimized for 28 mph, and I wore out the chain and sprocket at 1100 miles.

Get the 48T chain ring as the 28 mph-version should have had that right from the start. The sprocket wheel wear is much less because you're using not only the 11/13 wheels of the sprocket. BTW: if only these are worn check if you could change these wheels seperately.

Deckas 104BCD 48T chain ring instead of the Specialized 48T works fine as well. Using a 48T chain ring the chain should have app. 128 links (instead of 120 links with the 40T).

Deckas 104BCD 48T

The Deckas is half the price of the Specialized. It is aluminum where the Specialized is steel...so not sure about the wear on the aluminum ring on an E-bike...I would recommend a 48t for anyone who has a Specialized Class III ebike...

The Deckas is half the price of the Specialized. It is aluminum where the Specialized is steel...so not sure about the wear on the aluminum ring on an E-bike....

Sure that it is steel ? The Specialized 40T chain ring is aluminium, too.

For me the Deckas 48T is 1/3 of the Specialized 48T. So if the Specialized ring doesn't last 3x longer, it's still worth it.

Last edited:
Sure that it is steel ? The Specialized 40T chain ring is aluminium, too.

For me the Deckas 48T is 1/3 of the Specialized 48T. So if the Specialized ring doesn't last 3x longer, it's still worth it.

I stand corrected....I was working on my wife's Bafang setup on her trike and just changed out her chain ring...that one is steel...the Specialized one is Aluminum..

Back