How do I fix my Ancheer Sunshine Bike Controller

rusty9073

Hi - I purchased an new Ancheer Bike (Orange Sunshine seen here: https://www.ancheer.shop/collection...battery-26-electric-bike-for-adults-black-red).
It worked for about 30 seconds on the first ride and then suddenly it ... quit working.
They battery appeared fine, everything lights up correctly when the battery is attached, but the pedal assist and throttle do nothing. As mentioned, they did work for a very brief time on the first ride and then quit and no longer respond when turning on pedal assist or pushing the throttle button.
After many communications with the product seller, it was determined that the "controller" was inoperable and needed to be replaced. It is kind of a long story, but the product seller was unable to provide this controller and reimbursed me accordingly for the inconvenience.
So...I have a perfectly good ebike, except the controller does not work. Does anybody happen to know how/where I can fix the ebike? I could perhaps do it myself it I can find the correct part for the controller, but I contacted www.ancheer.shop and they stated they do not sell the controller for the this Ancheer ebike. I took it to a local bike shop that is familiar with ebikes, but they said they do not work with Ancheer brand bikes and could not resolve the issue.
Any help anyone could give to potentially resolve this issue would be appreciated. Thanks for your help :)

Nice find, Timpo. I think the controller is in the battery too.

You have the LED control on the Ancheer, and you cannot count on an arbitrary controller being compatible. Best to buy the LCD and associated harness. Might as well buy all the peripherals (throttle, regular brake levers, and PAS) too. After you add cable and LCD, the rest of the bits add little cost. It will then be like a plug-n-play project,

Thank you both - I can tell you know a WHOLE lot more on this subject than myself :)

So, making sure I understand
...the controller is probably located in the battery cradle (not in the battery itself, but in the cradle that you connect the battery to).
...unless I replace it with the exact same controller, I would maybe need to replace the controller, LCD and other parts.

If those assertions are correct, a couple of follow up questions:

Do you by chance have a link to the kit I would need to buy?

Would this project be beyond the capabilities of a novice like myself who knows nothing when it comes to ebike repairs?

If I bought a kit like that would someone at an ebike shop be able to make the replacements?...or would you consider that cost prohibitive? The ebike itself was about $700.

Thanks again for all your help and expertise :)

And you will need soldering skills to remove the old controller and solder the new one in place. For $275 plus $100 shipping, you could buy the whole battery with all the pieces. Too much for a $690 ebike,

I think we're getting ahead of ourselves, because you may not even need a new controller. Usually ebikes don't work because of bad wiring or a crappy battery, I've not had a failed controller on a bike after I put it together, but I have had loose connectors.

Last edited:
Here's a better link. Same vendor, but now we're looking at the base. You can buy the whole battery base from topbikekit.com. You also need a KT display. Unplug your throttle and brake cables, If they are three pin (green) and two pin (red) respectively as in the images, they will probably work, Ditto for the PAS sensor. The LED disolay might even work if it has 5 pins, but the KT LCD is worth it, No soldering. Just plug in the plugs,

You guys are so awesome! Thank you so much for all your help and advise so far. I don't think I have ever asked a question in a forum and received so much help, so it is very much appreciated :)

So I did previously take the bike to a local bike shop to check out. As mentioned before, they wont work on Ancheer bikes but he was willing to check over the connections for a fee, and he checked the wiring and did not find any loose connections. The battery...seems to be working OK, as the display works and lights up when connected.

The link to the controller you gave looks almost identical to the one on my bike (see picture). I am going to purchase it and try to replace it and see how that works? The wires appear jammed inside the bike and I am a little unsure if I can get the connectors out to swap it out, but here's for hoping. I will keep you updated and if you think of any addition information that might be helpful please let me know. Thank you again so much for your expertise :)

Attachments

• IMG_20210101_130553012.jpg
    IMG_20210101_130553012.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 722
Here's a better link. Same vendor, but now we're looking at the base. You can buy the whole battery base from topbikekit.com. You also need a KT display. Unplug your throttle and brake cables, If they are three pin (green) and two pin (red) respectively as in the images, they will probably work, Ditto for the PAS sensor. The LED disolay might even work if it has 5 pins, but the KT LCD is worth it, No soldering. Just plug in the plugs,

Hi - So it looks like this is about $70, so I wanted to check and see/confirm if what I have is similar. I was able to successfully remove the controller from the Acheer ebike and took photos. I looks fairly similar, with same connectors. The 9 pin cord is longer so I am guessing I would also need to buy the short 9 pin extension cord. Does this like aliexpress item look interchangeable with what I have (the four pin option)? Let me know if you can and thanks again for all the help :)

Attachments

• IMG_20210102_155023180.jpg
    IMG_20210102_155023180.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 657
  • IMG_20210102_154450718.jpg
    IMG_20210102_154450718.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 1,026
  • IMG_20210102_154638110.jpg
    IMG_20210102_154638110.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 653
  • IMG_20210102_155011932.jpg
    IMG_20210102_155011932.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 581
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    818.6 KB · Views: 646
You note that this is for the big Hailong case and that they sell a different one for the little Hailong case. I also see that you have a 6FET controller in your battery. That suggests you may need this one for the smaller battery,

You're also expecting your LED display to work. If KT made both controllers then I guess it should. Do you recall from your brief ride, or from the owner info, if that display has a speed display? If it does, then it is a digital unit and will work. Otherwise you could buy a better LCD version with a numeric output, but that's 50 bucks. Worth it though.

I am impressed that Ancheer is using more popular parts like the Hailong case and KT controllers in their ebikes.

Last edited:
Don't know if his battery fits the 9FET cradle, I also saw the stand alone controller, but he can buy it as an option with the cradle and I assume that's already soldered, If it were me, I'd be soldering, Well, if it were my bike, I'd want to know whether the motor was good before going further, I'd plug it onto one of my beater bikes,

These bike shop guys are leaving business out there, NIne pin cable standard motor cable, Just plug it into an existing bike.,

Up to the OP to decide if he wants the higher current controller. The bike won't go any faster, but will have more acceleration. One controller is 22A and the other is 15A. The question is what is the battery's maximum, and what does it do when it hits it. In my experience, some packs shut down because of voltage sag. Others just grunt and keep pumping.

Don't know if his battery fits the 9FET cradle, I also saw the stand alone controller, but he can buy it as an option with the cradle and I assume that's already soldered, If it were me, I'd be soldering, Well, if it were my bike, I'd want to know whether the motor was good before going further, I'd plug it onto one of my beater bikes,
This!

Oh my gosh Timpo, thank you for pointing out that I was looking the wrong size controller! Haha! ...also, when you mentioned upgrading to a 9FET I thought it was a spelling error for "9 FEET" or something...I am really lacking knowledge in this area. :) After researching what 9FET means, I agree with you that if I am going to spend the money it totally makes sense to just upgrade the controller, however, I am going to chicken out on this, as I know pretty much nothing of what I am doing here. I know it is kind of dumb to do so as there is not much price difference in the two, but keeping things as identical as possible to what I have increases my chance of success based on my inferior experience.

So a couple of more questions for you all (and thank you again for all your help). I included a picture of my control panel and the connectors on the top of the bike. As you can see the control panel is pretty basic (throttle button on the other side of the bike). There are four wire connections on the top of the bike. I disconnected one and it looks identical to the connectors seen in the cables from you link that Timpo and harryS sent, so I think I am on the right track? Yeah, I have no experience soldering, so I am inclined to buy the cradle with pins already soldered. One question on the pins - I sent a photo of my pins on my cradle. The second pin from the top is kind of... squarish? The pins on the link from topbikekit does not have a square pin. I am thinking it would an OK interchange, but am not sure if that would be an issue.

My last dilemma is that I might buy this controller and it might be the motor problem all along? I am hoping it is not the motor, as Ancheer believed it was a controller issue when I described what was going on, and the guy at the ebike shop didn't mention anything wrong with the motor? Having no experience in ebike repair, testing the motor sounds pretty...complicated for me. I guess if I purchase this controller and it is not the problem I could resell the good controller I just purchased on ebay and get some of my money back.

Anyway, before I purchase that controller, let me know if you think the slight pin variation would be an issue, or if you think my control panel or connector might be a problem? Thank you guys again for taking the time to troubleshoot this with me. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20210103_133758218.jpg
    IMG_20210103_133758218.jpg
    373.4 KB · Views: 487
  • IMG_20210103_133843276.jpg
    IMG_20210103_133843276.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_20210103_134043459.jpg
    IMG_20210103_134043459.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 422
Hi - So...Update:

I went ahead and purchased the small Hailong battery case controller 36V set and it arrived this week. All the connections were the same and I connected all the wires, and then snapped on the battery. Usually, then I power up the display previously, the 5 red lights on the battery indicator show solid red. Unfortunately, when I power up the display with the new Hailong battery controller, the first of the 5 red lights just blinks and it still does not work. Connecting the old controller again shows the five solid battery full lights (and of course pedal assist and throttle not working with old controller as before). Not sure what might next step might be. Anyone have an idea what could be going on or how to resolve?

Thanks for your help, :)

Nate

What's the battery's actual voltage? The display is saying it's below 30V with the new controller.

It could mean that the LED display doesn't work right with that controller. Usually they will power up without the controller if you put the voltage to the right pins.

This is a different KT display but it shows the pins for a KT display. Your display has the same pins? The harness will have a female plug, so you could probe the ground and 36V pins to see what uou get.

LCD3_pinout.jpg

Dang, sorry it took a while to respond - I just took a picture of the connector that plugs into my display. It appears to have the 5 pins referred to in harryS question. So, if it has all these correct pins, do I need to also buy a new display to get this to work?

Attachments

• IMG_20210227_123112307[1].jpg
    IMG_20210227_123112307[1].jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 349
I think your LED unit is not compatible. You probably should have bought the display with the controller. Your LED unit flashing is some kind of error.

If we know for sure this is a KT controller that you bought, there is a way to run it without a display.

Hmmm...is this a complex process to run without a display? Seems like it would be difficult to adjust the pedal assist modes without it?

Hi - I purchased an new Ancheer Bike (Orange Sunshine seen here: https://www.ancheer.shop/collection...battery-26-electric-bike-for-adults-black-red).
It worked for about 30 seconds on the first ride and then suddenly it ... quit working.
They battery appeared fine, everything lights up correctly when the battery is attached, but the pedal assist and throttle do nothing. As mentioned, they did work for a very brief time on the first ride and then quit and no longer respond when turning on pedal assist or pushing the throttle button.
After many communications with the product seller, it was determined that the "controller" was inoperable and needed to be replaced. It is kind of a long story, but the product seller was unable to provide this controller and reimbursed me accordingly for the inconvenience.
So...I have a perfectly good ebike, except the controller does not work. Does anybody happen to know how/where I can fix the ebike? I could perhaps do it myself it I can find the correct part for the controller, but I contacted www.ancheer.shop and they stated they do not sell the controller for the this Ancheer ebike. I took it to a local bike shop that is familiar with ebikes, but they said they do not work with Ancheer brand bikes and could not resolve the issue.
Any help anyone could give to potentially resolve this issue would be appreciated. Thanks for your help :)
If you bought it new then it is under Ancheer 12 month warranty. I just put in a claim 3 weeks ago for mine and they are sending replacement parts. I had Battery short issue. They are sending new Controller, Battery and sensors.

Back