How do i delimit my EVO Cross? Is it simple to do for a novice?

BH Evo 29er owner here. I ended up going the other route, a booster battery connected in serial.

From testing:
View attachment 6457

I put it in a frame bag when I use it now:
View attachment 6458

I am using one of these batteries (2S / 7.4V 12.8Ah):
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I've used it for about a year now, no problems so far. Assist works to slightly above 35km/h (22mph).
BH Evo 29er owner here. I ended up going the other route, a booster battery connected in serial.

From testing:
View attachment 6457

I put it in a frame bag when I use it now:
View attachment 6458

I am using one of these batteries (2S / 7.4V 12.8Ah):
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I've used it for about a year now, no problems so far. Assist works to slightly above 35km/h (22mph).
Hi there, I am in NZ and have a BH Evo Cross. How easy would it be for me to do what you have done to get that bit of extra speed?

I did my mods based on this video:

Source:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2192653#r47152735

Some images from my bike:

Speed controller, red, black and yellow from the battery:
2015-06-22 14.47.12.jpg

I cut the red (+), and soldered on connectors to connect my battery in series:
2015-07-13 20.02.47.jpg

Battery connected:
2015-07-13 20.24.45.jpg

When running without extra battery:
2015-07-13 20.25.25.jpg

About 6:15 in the video above you can also find this diagram that shows how things are connected:
2015-06-04 20.10.27.png

Last edited:
I did my mods based on this video:

Source:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2192653#r47152735

Some images from my bike:

Speed controller, red, black and yellow from the battery:
View attachment 8505

I cut the red (+), and soldered on connectors to connect my battery in series:
View attachment 8508

Battery connected:
View attachment 8511

When running without extra battery:
View attachment 8514

About 6:15 in the video above you can also find this diagram that shows how things are connected:
View attachment 8517
That video was done by @Peter He's posted a lot of really good, detailed information here on EBR, including that same video and some great ride videos as well. If you're interested in some of Peter's other videos, you can see some of those posts here: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Thanks JT, and everybody here for putting up with my constant whining. Some dude complaining about a product you just bought is probably not the first thing you want to see on a forum.

Yes I've very much enjoyed the bike, just broke 2500 miles on it recently, and it's all I need from an e-bike to be honest, but the possibility of making it even better and then hitting a bureaucratic wall is driving me nuts.

BTW. If I ever manage to score a US wheel, I wonder if I should "protect" the dealer by not mentioning them publicly. A tad absurd when we're talking about buying bicycle components.

Update: now I've contacted the few competing e-bike manufacturers that use Dapu motors to see if theirs match BH's (in terms of internal speed and hall sensors, cable routing), I've also contacted Dapu directly for technical details. Not that I expect any responses, cause nearly a thousand bucks for just a motor is not worth writing back, am I right.

UPDATE: The search is over! Got my US motor from Lenny's. Thanks to everyone who helped!
Hi did the dealer ship to you ? And how is it going with the new wheel ?

Yes they did, and I've done about 900km with it over the summer.

I love the extra speed, and have the fortune of safely using the full 32km/h about half way on each commute. 32km/h makes more sense for me, while still being safe. I only save about 12-15 min in my total time commuting each day (45min vs 60min), but the speed makes the most tedious long straights fly past.

The down side is that 30% more speed equals over 50% more battery drain, so at full blast, the 11Ah battery no longer feels nearly as plentiful. Luckily it's still enough for my daily commute, when only charging at one end.

Has anyone tried wiring a 48V auxiliary battery (not the nitro battery)? I have the 350W US version and would like to buy a 48V/36V battery from EM3EV or Luna Cycles that I could use when the frame battery dies. I would carry it in a pannier.

There is no easy way to delimit these internally geared hub motor bikes. They're like glorified cordless power drills, where the internal gearing of the motor coupled with the voltage of the battery equal maximum rpm.

The motor spins the wheel directly, so system DC voltage + internal gearing reduction = maximum speed.

I have a delimited 2015 evo cross.

Originally a EU spec bike delivered to Australia.

Now has a US Neo 350w motor, and a 2016 48v evo battery with a v3.0 display.
Speed is 50kmh on first half of battery, 45 kmh on second half.
Couple error 13s, but no power cut, resolved with a display on off reset. Bike sometimes gets a strange sensation from the motor, but lasts a second then goes away. No grinding, possibly amp related.

I have been riding it on standard 50% assistance, and it can still get to 45kmh just with a bit of effort. Only concern is 8.8ah battery vs 36v 11.5ah for range.
Not sure how it will go in a head wind, but normal conditions it seems like 35km of fast riding.

On US motor alone I would go along at 37-40kmh and could still be overtaken by road bikes. Now, I find myself having to take it easy and just safely round other riders up.

Happy to answer any questions.

Last edited:
I have a delimited 2015 evo cross.

Originally a EU spec bike delivered to Australia.

Now has a US Neo 350w motor, and a 2016 48v evo battery with a v3.0 display.
Speed is 50kmh on first half of battery, 45 kmh on second half.
Couple error 13s, but no power cut, resolved with a display on off reset. Bike sometimes gets a strange sensation from the motor, but lasts a second then goes away. No grinding, possibly amp related.

I have been riding it on standard 50% assistance, and it can still get to 45kmh just with a bit of effort. Only concern is 8.8ah battery vs 36v 11.5ah for range.
Not sure how it will go in a head wind, but normal conditions it seems like 35km of fast riding.

On US motor alone I would go along at 37-40kmh and could still be overtaken by road bikes. Now, I find myself having to take it easy and just safely round other riders up.

Happy to answer any questions.

So how was this done? Just added a bigger battery without any additional wiring etc?? I have a Easy Motion Evo Street (2015).

I recently got a 48 VDC 10.5Ah 504wh battery. I will be putting on the 2015 Street bike and trying it out. Lets see if the battery drops in and I can get a speed increase.
BTW I am in USA.

No additional wiring. I have to take the battery off to charge as there is a difference with the plug on the bike. I am looking at fitting a new plug on the bike.
Flat ground normal riding is 47kmh first half battery, 44 kmh second half. Range is realistically 25-30 km. I originally put the v3.0 display on as well, but have changed back to original and have no errors. On the newer display I was getting error 13s.
I would like to get the 10.5ah battery but could only get the 8.8ah.

No additional wiring. I have to take the battery off to charge as there is a difference with the plug on the bike. I am looking at fitting a new plug on the bike.
Flat ground normal riding is 47kmh first half battery, 44 kmh second half. Range is realistically 25-30 km. I originally put the v3.0 display on as well, but have changed back to original and have no errors. On the newer display I was getting error 13s.
I would like to get the 10.5ah battery but could only get the 8.8ah.

Next question did you get a 48 volt charger? I only have a 36 volt charger. Will I need a 36 Volt charger? Did your bike originally come with a 36V battery? Thanks for your help. :)

Yep you need a 48v charger. Good thing is 36v gets you more range. You can just swap between

What is max speed you have reached with just throttle only on straight roads and peddle with assist? I cant wait to try it out. What motor does your bike have?
How long have you been running the setup? Any problems with the increased voltage?

49 kmh max speed from assist on flat road no wind, 48v
On 36v with tail wind I've got to 55kmh on flat. 62kmh down hill.
My bike does not have throttle.
Motor is US 350w Neo wheel fitted to Evo.
Only issue running 36v controller is if you reduce the assistance setting whilst at higher speed you can feel a slight resistance shudder until you are at slower speed, then smooth.
I use eco up to 32 kmh standard to 38kmh and sport for 45kmh+.

Don't believe so.

Since wattage is a function of volts × amps, I've long suspected that dapu only make two motors. A 250 and a 350/500. The latter being the same motor run at 36 or 48 volts. The 250 has less copper windings in the same set up and therefore draws less current.

Back