How big a problem is a heavier e bike in reality?

ROJA

I test rode a Stromer (ST2, although I'd actually buy the ST1 T most likely) and really liked it. One of the biggest things holding me back is the weight.

Stromer = 62 lbs
Specialized Turbo = ~50
Trek XM700+ = ~45

I want to mix up my commutes with partial transit and sometimes taking the bike in my car (hatchback) and I think the extra weight would make that really tough. I lifted the Stromer and really don't think I could get it in my hatchback. I regularly carry my < 20 lb road bike and it's a breeze (don't even need to remove the front wheel). I believe that 45-50 would be doable, but that I just couldn't do 60+.

I'm curious how you guys handle this in real life! Or is this not an issue for you?

Thanks! And great forum- so much awesome info!

I test rode a Stromer (ST2, although I'd actually buy the ST1 T most likely) and really liked it. One of the biggest things holding me back is the weight.

Stromer = 62 lbs
Specialized Turbo = ~50
Trek XM700+ = ~45

I want to mix up my commutes with partial transit and sometimes taking the bike in my car (hatchback) and I think the extra weight would make that really tough. I lifted the Stromer and really don't think I could get it in my hatchback. I regularly carry my < 20 lb road bike and it's a breeze (don't even need to remove the front wheel). I believe that 45-50 would be doable, but that I just couldn't do 60+.

I'm curious how you guys handle this in real life! Or is this not an issue for you?

It's pretty difficult to keep the weight down on any e-bike for the obvious reasons of motor and battery weight. The lighter e-bikes more often than not have a limited range which, depending upon the situation, may be fine. I have found it difficult to handle the 60 lbs of the Stromer, but have also found that by removing the battery and the front tire, it becomes a good bit more manageable and I can get it into the back of my SUV with a good bit more struggle than with my 20lb. road bike, but I'm also well past 70. On the road at speeds of 20 - 28 mph, I'm happy to have the extra weight, the larger heavier tires and heavier battery that supplies not only decent power steps but also a much greater range. The ST-2 is a great bike. I purchased an ST-1 and rode it 300 or so miles before deciding to move up to the ST-2 which was well worth the additional monies. The motor on the ST-2 is approx. 4lbs lighter than on the ST-1 from my understanding, so with the battery removed you have an extra 4 lbs or so that doesn't have to be dealt with. Probably it became psychological, but saving that 4 lbs. or so seemed to make loading the bike easier, especially so with the front tire removed. At this point, I am definitely thinking that installing a trailer hitch and buying a good rack is probably a reasonable investment as far as transport...insofar as security is concerned in that case, I would most likely still remove the battery and front tire and load the bike into the car for overnight stays away from home.

I have a Stromer ST2 s and the weight doesn't bother me at all. I can routinely lift it easily into my BMW X4 as needed. The extra kick from that big battery is worth the additional pounds. I'm 62 years old, own a furniture store and routinely move sofas and case goods of 200 lbs, so that may be why the weight doesn't see to matter much.

Stromer = 62 lbs
Specialized Turbo = ~50
Trek XM700+ = ~45

I recently moved to Chicago and my house entrance has 8-10 steps.
In Chicago, you can't afford to keep the bikes outside, so I have left my ST2 in the storage and have been using Haibike Super Race exclusively because I can easily carry it up the stairs.
it's 40lbs and very easy to maneuver.

for everyday commute I would think that lifting the ebike onto a roof of my Hyundai Elantra would be a pain in the ham. However I do put my ebikes on the room rack anytime we do a trip. I almost always remove the battery. We have ST1 and Specialized Turbo. It is tricky especially for the first bike in the middle of the roof. I usually leave the car door door open as this allows me to get a closer access to the roof.

As for carrying the ebikes up stairs, luckily I only need to carry it up 5 stairs. My best tried technique is to grab the bike frame right above the bottom bracket with one hand and use the other hand on the handlebars. The hand by the bottom bracket does all the lifting and helps with the overall balance.

I've got an ST2 and Thule EasyFold setup and just love it. Strapping down both wheels and clamping onto the frame makes it really secure. As others have mentioned I always transport the bike with the battery removed which makes getting onto the rack or into the back of my small SUV very doable. I'm in my early 60s and can manage the weight, but if I had to hoist it onto a train or up a couple flights of stairs it might be a challenge. Then again the extra range and power the bike provides might make me decide to grin and bear it.

Back