How are you carrying an extra battery

ElectricBikeFan

I want to go on a day trip and take an extra battery and would like to see how other members are transporting an extra battery on their bikes. I can't find any panniers that are big enough and also any bags that fit on top of the bike carrier except for the Travel-Biker from Ortlieb that is 19.5 inches wide and the batter is 19 inches, but not sure if it will fit on the Racktime rack that I have on my ST1x.

Are members putting batteries in a backpack or trailer?

This is a small back pack that is modified as a seat pack.
SPARE.jpg

Last edited:
Wow thanks for all the replies, I guess I should have made it clearer that I have a Stromer ST1x. The battery on these bikes is 19 inches long and weights 12 pounds. Quite a brute.

Stomer doesn't recommend any seat packs on their bikes so that one is ruled out (the weight would have been an issue too). I can't find any panniers that will accommodate something that is 19 inches.

The Front Loader sounds like a good idea, the battery will just fit with the larger one that can carry 11 pounds and is 19.7 inches. Has anyone attempted this on a Stromer with a Stromer battery? It might be a bit of a change from the usual handle bar feeling when riding the bike.

I want to go on a day trip and take an extra battery

If you plan your pit stops for breakfast or lunch in a way that you could charge your batteries every 40 miles, it is possible to do 100 mile trips/day.
I have done it on several occasions. I ride 50 miles and break for an hour or 90 minutes for food (while the battery is charging) and continue. Anything more than 100 miles can be taxing physically and time wise.

I want to go on a day trip and take an extra battery and would like to see how other members are transporting an extra battery on their bikes. I can't find any panniers that are big enough and also any bags that fit on top of the bike carrier except for the Travel-Biker from Ortlieb that is 19.5 inches wide and the batter is 19 inches, but not sure if it will fit on the Racktime rack that I have on my ST1x.

Are members putting batteries in a backpack or trailer?

Agree with Ravi...carrying an extra 12 lbs in the form of three or so end to endbricks cannot be much fun, and if for some reason your bike tipped over or got involved in an accident; that extra battery could end up being very, very expensive.

Rack battery on this bike, but I had a spare Luna Mini for it in one saddlebag. plus an extra dolphin bottle battery for my wife's bike in the other. Also some bike tools and two bottles of water. Never needed them. The return trip was all downhill. As for the saddlebags, they were sold for horses. My wife shortened them and sewed them back. Weight not an issue with motor.

P1600604.JPG

I’m currently working on some mods to my ST2 for long distance touring and they include a handlebar bag (similar to the Frontloader) from a company named Bedrock that is attached to a Jones HBar handlebar. With a tent in the handlebar bag, several separate accessory pouches and 2 front fork bags I can confirm the steering feel does get altered. Not bad, and not dissimilar to the front weight impact you would experience on a regular touring bike. I’d have to say it feels like the initial stability is a little more “shaky” but once you get rolling it’s so sweet and solid.

I’ve also toured with both my ST2 and a traditional vintage road bike pulling a Radical Design trailer and found it great for hauling way more gear than you need. I’d say if you had to take a second battery and you know the road conditions are amenable to an extra set of wheels the ST2/trailer is a great rig. It gets all it weight for your bike, allows for easy pack/unpack and makes for really slick rig.

For my next tour, a 2-3 month self contained ride from the West Coast to the Midwest on my ST2, I’ve chosen a plan as Ravi suggests of adjusting my schedule to accommodate longer lunch break charging combined with evening charging at campgrounds or perhaps an occasional cold beverage or two at an outlet friendly local watering hole. Using an assist strategy of Level 1 or none on my standard 814w ST2 I’m pretty confident from my fully loaded tests so far that I can consistently do 60-80 miles days on a single charge. Personally the extra weight of a second battery on the bike itself, other than in a trailer, along with additional charge time for 2 batteries just don’t make it worth the effort.

I’m currently working on some mods to my ST2 for long distance touring and they include a handlebar bag (similar to the Frontloader) from a company named Bedrock that is attached to a Jones HBar handlebar. With a tent in the handlebar bag, several separate accessory pouches and 2 front fork bags I can confirm the steering feel does get altered. Not bad, and not dissimilar to the front weight impact you would experience on a regular touring bike. I’d have to say it feels like the initial stability is a little more “shaky” but once you get rolling it’s so sweet and solid.

I’ve also toured with both my ST2 and a traditional vintage road bike pulling a Radical Design trailer and found it great for hauling way more gear than you need. I’d say if you had to take a second battery and you know the road conditions are amenable to an extra set of wheels the ST2/trailer is a great rig. It gets all it weight for your bike, allows for easy pack/unpack and makes for really slick rig.

For my next tour, a 2-3 month self contained ride from the West Coast to the Midwest on my ST2, I’ve chosen a plan as Ravi suggests of adjusting my schedule to accommodate longer lunch break charging combined with evening charging at campgrounds or perhaps an occasional cold beverage or two at an outlet friendly local watering hole. Using an assist strategy of Level 1 or none on my standard 814w ST2 I’m pretty confident from my fully loaded tests so far that I can consistently do 60-80 miles days on a single charge. Personally the extra weight of a second battery on the bike itself, other than in a trailer, along with additional charge time for 2 batteries just don’t make it worth the effort.

Hello - What are those handlebars called and where did you get them? Thank you.

Hello - What are those handlebars called and where did you get them? Thank you.
I realized I actually am showing two different handlebar configurations. The ones in the picture with the trailer are called butterfly or trekking handlebars. I believe I ordered them through eBay or perhaps Amazon but they are out there in the $30-50 range. In the second picture I have the ST2 configured with a pair of Jones HBar handlebars. They are more expensive and required a replacement longer rear brake line to make the lines and cables work with the wider sweep back bars. I’ve bought a number of their handlebars for my various bikes directly from Jones Bikes website. They are great and usually ship the same day you order it.

I realized I actually am showing two different handlebar configurations. The ones in the picture with the trailer are called butterfly or trekking handlebars. I believe I ordered them through eBay or perhaps Amazon but they are out there in the $30-50 range. In the second picture I have the ST2 configured with a pair of Jones HBar handlebars. They are more expensive and required a replacement longer rear brake line to make the lines and cables work with the wider sweep back bars. I’ve bought a number of their handlebars for my various bikes directly from Jones Bikes website. They are great and usually ship the same day you order it.

John-

I see a rack stay attached to the seat post in the last photo. Is that just reinforcing the original rack or did you change the rack altogether? If it's a different rack, what is it and were you able to attach it easily? Thanks!

John-

I see a rack stay attached to the seat post in the last photo. Is that just reinforcing the original rack or did you change the rack altogether? If it's a different rack, what is it and were you able to attach it easily? Thanks!

It’s actually a different rack. The original one that relies on the fender for support wasn’t strong enough in my view. It’s a Tubus Evo rear rack with a Salsa seat clamp rear rack adapter. It’s not just a plug and play installation but it’s not to difficult to make work and it is rock solid when done. The two customization I did were purchasing the Salsa pre bent stays (connects the seat adapter to the rack at the right angle) and manufacturing some small aluminum bars to attach the fender to the new rack. If you want to carry much more than your standard commute gear it’s a great way to go.

Attachments

• A51C8D1A-0519-470B-990F-D3A29CA85C7E.jpeg
    A51C8D1A-0519-470B-990F-D3A29CA85C7E.jpeg
    984.9 KB · Views: 853
  • 49E707EF-F201-42D6-B617-F7C058C477E3.jpeg
    49E707EF-F201-42D6-B617-F7C058C477E3.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 658
Back