Homemade. Show us your stuff!

These may seem out of place for EBR but considering they are "bikecentric" and have to do with electricity I feel they belong... and in a pinch you could charge your ebike up when no other power is available.

pedgen1.jpg
This is my first real pedal generator. I had cobbled a few thing together before this but they were more for study and led to my building this one. It started life as a kids bike I found in the trash. Once I'd pulled most of it apart I cut the frame and brazed it to part of an old chair, also from the trash.

The flywheel is cut from the deck of a treadmill... found in the trash... for that matter, all of this was pulled from the trash except for the belt.
The motor is from a corded lawn mower and it's pulley is an old rollerblades wheel, lathed with a groove to fit the belt and bolted to the motor shaft.
It can be pedaled or spun by hand and the most I've ever been able to crank out of it was around 300 watts for a very brief time.

pedgen2.jpg
A friend gave me an old, little used bike stand... I immediately set about turning it into another pedal generator. The motor is from a treadmill and it's pulley is used to contact the bike tire.

power center.jpg
I made a power center for genny this out of an old metal tool case and installed a 400 watt inverter, about 20 ah of nicad batteries, and a kit built charge controller that uses a 12v projector lamp as a load to control voltage.
The nicad finally bit the dust and I haven't found a suitable battery to replace it.

Woody the push trailer.

Woody with recycle.jpg

Woody's guts.jpg

Woody started life as a Burley D'lite kid's trailer. I picked him up used and he had already been turned into a cargo trailer, everything had been removed down to the frame and a piece of diamond plate aluminum was bolted on but his hitch was missing the part that goes on the bike. I hauled him around with some makeshift something or other for a hitch but at the time I was already experimenting with push trailers so almost immediately I started working on ideas for Woody.

I posted about Woody on a power generating site I use to frequent:

I spent approximately $210 building Woody... excluding a battery although the scooter batteries worked for awhile.

Currie (Unite 1018z?) 24v, 450w motor, allelectronics.com, $50.00

Schwinn S500 24v scooter, craigslist, $43.09

IZIP I500 24v scooter, craigslist, $30.00

Burley bike trailer, craigslist, $40.00

Alumiweld, Harbor Freight, $13.00

Dap Weldwood contact cement, Home Depot, $10.00

34 qt collapsible crate, Kmart, $8.00

2-DPDT rocker switches, Digi-Key, $2.03/each + tax + shipping, $6.13

MAAS metal polish, Walgreens, $5.00

Hapmton cam lock, Aviation Industrial Supply, $1.54

(and)

Aluminum continuous(piano) hinge, Aviation Industrial Supply, $1.45

Total: $3.23

'Woody' personalized license plate, Walmart, $0.25

Here is the story I posted on endless-sphere.

Toys are the joy of life... I have managed to collect a few to share with friends. ;)

My first ebike ~9 years ago. The battery was 48V, 20Ah, rated for 20C so it would deliver 1KW no problem. The throttle controlled motor was a brushless direct-drive by 9C rated for 36V, 750W. It would draw over 1KW full throttle at the battery's 48V and hardly ever get warm to the touch. I included a handlebar-mounted inline wattmeter to gets these stats for every ride.

I exchanged the front suspension fork for a rigid one and added downhill BMX headset bearings to take the torque of the front hub motor. A torque arm on each leg of the fork finished off the motor install. I exchanged the original 2" tires for the higher pressure street tires in the pic, a mistake without the front shocks. The V-brakes were original and barely up to the task of stopping this 60 pounder when it got up to speed. It would easily get to 35mph on the flats without pedal assist, an electric motorcycle I suppose, but hey, I was young then!

Used it for shopping and generally getting around our very hilly mountain town for a number of years, even towed a BOB style trailer for bulk 'stuff'. With mountain bike gearing there wasn't a hill it wouldn't climb, even with me in my 60's with a bad knee.

I retired it just over a year ago with weakening batteries and got a new Specialized Vado, but it was fun to build and ride.

First_ebike.jpg

Back