Homage Frame Size

Scott Eakin

I am 5' 10" tall which makes me 1.77M tall. Homage frame sizes are listed as small for riders 1.65-1.8M tall, or medium for riders 1.75 - 1.9M tall. Any thoughts or first hand experience before I order the bike? I appear to be on the cusp or a small or a medium fram. I am really unclear which will be the most enjoyable.

Thanks,

Scott …
My personal, perhaps slightly too emphatic, take on Homage sizes: L, XL, XXL.

They are big bikes! Handlebars are high and the seat post collar, which determines the lowest position for the saddle, is way up.

At around 167 cm, I am shorter than average for a man but not particularly so. My Homage is fine for me – but only just. I'd suggest the 'smallest' 49cm frame for you, but do check.

I use a dropper post to make it easier to get on/off. I'd recommend a dropper post no matter what height the rider might be.
… David

I am 6'1" (used to be 6"2") with a 32" inseam. I ride the medium Homage and it is just right for me. I do have to put my saddle pretty much all the way back in the seatpost clamp. I replaced the Ergotec strength rated 5, fixed angle stem with a Ergotec Swell Ahead adjustable stem which is a strength rating 6. This lets me tune my ride position to my liking, which is somewhat sportier and less upright than the original allows.

I got the Intuvia, the display mount of which accommodates a Nyon. The stem that comes with the Kiox is not so easy to replace as it integrates the display mount. If you replace it, it leaves you no place to mount the display.

I am 5’9”, so also on the cusp. I found a bike shop that had both a small and a medium and arranged for test rides on both. The shop is New Wheel in San Francisco. Amazed that they had both to try! They both worked quite well while riding. But when standing over the bike while stopped to take photos or whatnot the small felt cramped. That, and the advice of the very competent dealer made me choose the medium. I have also installed an adjustable stem, the Ergotec Swell-R Ahead 70, to make my seating position more upright to accommodate my neck arthritis. There is a fair bit of misinformation on this site regarding the Kiox display. It can be mounted on any stem or handlebar with a Bosch Kiox mount or an aftermarket one such as the one from Cube Acid. So unless you want it, you don’t have to choose the big, clunky Intuvia display if you think you might be changing out the stem.

Scott …
My personal, perhaps slightly too emphatic, take on Homage sizes: L, XL, XXL.

They are big bikes! Handlebars are high and the seat post collar, which determines the lowest position for the saddle, is way up.

At around 167 cm, I am shorter than average for a man but not particularly so. My Homage is fine for me – but only just. I'd suggest the 'smallest' 49cm frame for you, but do check.

I use a dropper post to make it easier to get on/off. I'd recommend a dropper post no matter what height the rider might be.
… David
David- which dropper post do you use? I know Alaskan uses one also.
Thanks

Norm and PLH …
My dropper raises or drops the saddle by 75 mm.
  • The dropper post is down when I am not riding (left).
  • As soon as I move off, I release the lever under the saddle (simultaneously easing weight off the saddle) and the post rises 75 mm, placing me in my correct riding position (right).
  • On stopping, or just negotiating difficult places, the lever is released and the saddle drops gently under my weight. Both feet can be placed on the ground without getting off the saddle.
  • More information: KS Dropzone.
… David
homage_dropper.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Norm and PLH …
My dropper raises or drops the saddle by 75 mm.
  • The dropper post is down when I am not riding (left).
  • As soon as I move off, I release the lever under the saddle (simultaneously easing weight off the saddle) and the post rises 75 mm, placing me in my correct riding position (right).
  • On stopping, or just negotiating difficult places, the lever is released and the saddle drops gently under my weight. Both feet can be placed on the ground without getting off the saddle.
  • More information: KS Dropzone.
(Link Removed - Attachment No Longer Exists)
To directly address the topic of this thread (frame size)…
  • Even on my Trek Powerfly, the dropper post takes up almost all of the space between seat post collar and saddle.
  • When the dropper post is transferred to the Homage (its usual home) it has to be set as low as possible.
  • Suspension posts, including almost everyone's favourite the Kinekt, also take up a good deal of space.
  • You will almost certainly need a seat post shim to reduce the Homage's large diameter post.
Today my Homage is in for its 8000 km so I dug up this old photo from before it came into my life – same post though.
… David
Thanks for sharing the info.

Thank you everyone. I wish I lived in the Bay area and had a shop like NewWheel handy.. Totally nerding out on the specs I compared R&M to my Haibike Treking I have been riding for the last few years. Haibike is a 52cm "medium" frame and I have made a couple of changes to make the bike more comfortable. Most significantly Jones H-Bar which raises the bars 2.5" and pulls them back in a 45 degree sweep. I think this effectively shortens the reach and made a big difference. So, by the numbers

Haibike R&M Homage
58cm top tube S-58.5 M-61
62.8cm stack S-65.5 M-65.5
108cm wheel base 119
38.8cm reach S-38.5 M-41

Strictly by the numbers I lean towards the small frame, based on your helpful comments I lean towards the medium. Perhaps I should just go for a ride.......

Well I just went through all this worrying about ordering the correct frame size last week myself. I am 66 years old and my height seems like it’s stating to drop a bit. I was 5’10” but last time at the Dr. I’ve dropped to 5’9”. Last week I pulled the trigger and ordered a Homage GX HS - 49cm frame with Rohloff rear hub, the Kiox display and the extra battery. I ordered it from Propel in NY, Lee the salesman I dealt with also advised me to go with the 49cm frame. They had two 54cm in stock which would have been easier to sell but he advised the smaller frame. Which they had to order. I hope I made the right choice but I guess I’ll have to live with it. My LBS had 2 of us wanting to buy Reise and Müller bikes so they looked into getting setup as a dealer. They sell some E-bike now but they weren’t comfortable with the required 6 unit initial dealer order. Propel will put my bike together to pre-deliver and check it out, then ship to my LBS . My LBS will put it back together and I’ll pick it up fro:them. I’m paying my shop to set it up that way they are willing to service and work on any repairs. I ordered it Aug. 28 now it will be interesting to see How long it really takes to get delivered. Thanks to all of you for your input, it truly has helped.

Thank you everyone. I wish I lived in the Bay area and had a shop like NewWheel handy.. Totally nerding out on the specs I compared R&M to my Haibike Treking I have been riding for the last few years. Haibike is a 52cm "medium" frame and I have made a couple of changes to make the bike more comfortable. Most significantly Jones H-Bar which raises the bars 2.5" and pulls them back in a 45 degree sweep. I think this effectively shortens the reach and made a big difference. So, by the numbers

Haibike R&M Homage
58cm top tube S-58.5 M-61
62.8cm stack S-65.5 M-65.5
108cm wheel base 119
38.8cm reach S-38.5 M-41

Strictly by the numbers I lean towards the small frame, based on your helpful comments I lean towards the medium. Perhaps I should just go for a ride.......

Scott, after reading your post I became intrigued and did a bit of research, then went ahead and ordered the Jones H-Bar 2.5. I reinstalled the original Ergotec Integra-BK stem and put the H-Bar on that. It made all the difference. My medium frame Homage with integrated Kiox display stem and Jones H-Bar 2.5 now fits me like a glove! Thanks for the great tip!!

Scott, after reading your post I became intrigued and did a bit of research, then went ahead and ordered the Jones H-Bar 2.5. I reinstalled the original Ergotec Integra-BK stem and put the H-Bar on that. It made all the difference. My medium frame Homage with integrated Kiox display stem and Jones H-Bar 2.5 now fits me like a glove! Thanks for the great tip!!
How good to hear. That helps. Keep pedaling....

Not to add any additional information overload, but I am 5-9 with a 31 inseam and went with the small on my Homage HS Vario. I tried multiple sized at Wheel And Sprocket in Evanston, Illinois and felt most comfortable on the small. I have historically had some back and knee issues, but after a summer of riding with that size bike I have had no real issues. I find the positioning sufficiently upright and comfortable. I replaced the pedals a little while back for better grip, which is also important for proper leg positioning. Ive been very happy with the bike.

Well I just went through all this worrying about ordering the correct frame size last week myself. I am 66 years old and my height seems like it’s stating to drop a bit. I was 5’10” but last time at the Dr. I’ve dropped to 5’9”. Last week I pulled the trigger and ordered a Homage GX HS - 49cm frame with Rohloff rear hub, the Kiox display and the extra battery. I ordered it from Propel in NY, Lee the salesman I dealt with also advised me to go with the 49cm frame. They had two 54cm in stock which would have been easier to sell but he advised the smaller frame. Which they had to order. I hope I made the right choice but I guess I’ll have to live with it. My LBS had 2 of us wanting to buy Reise and Müller bikes so they looked into getting setup as a dealer. They sell some E-bike now but they weren’t comfortable with the required 6 unit initial dealer order. Propel will put my bike together to pre-deliver and check it out, then ship to my LBS . My LBS will put it back together and I’ll pick it up fro:them. I’m paying my shop to set it up that way they are willing to service and work on any repairs. I ordered it Aug. 28 now it will be interesting to see How long it really takes to get delivered. Thanks to all of you for your input, it truly has helped.
Just a quick update. My Homage was delivered from the factory to Propel in NY last Thursday. Propel is setting up and doing the pre-delivery now. They then re-box the bike, and ship to KY on Wednesday Sept 18th. Three weeks from order to delivery is not bad at all coming from Germany! I am impressed.

Just a quick update. My Homage was delivered from the factory to Propel in NY last Thursday. Propel is setting up and doing the pre-delivery now. They then re-box the bike, and ship to KY on Wednesday Sept 18th. Three weeks from order to delivery is not bad at all coming from Germany! I am impressed.
Their factory must be fully online now. My April order finally arrived in July after a 2 week delay for “paint issues” and then shipping problems. But the bike was well worth the wait. I’ve just crossed 2k miles with zero issues.

Did you consider the Culture before ordering? I'm at a crossroads between the two and could use some help. Thanks

Did you consider the Culture before ordering? I'm at a crossroads between the two and could use some help. Thanks

I looked at the Culture but I wanted faster HS mother and if I was going to spend this much on a bike I was going all the way and get the Rohloff rear hub with the 14 speed gear and belt drive. Those two options are what swayed be to the Homage.

I have ridden the Homage 4 times now with each ride being between 20 and 28 miles. At this time there isn’t anything that I would change as far as how I ordered my bike. At 5ft 9 inches I ordered the small frame, and I am happy with that decision. I love the high speed motor and the Rohloff rear hub. Lastly the Kiox display is great, I don’t have any issues with it. I’m sure there are some upgrades it should have but overall it is fine for my expectations. We live in an area here in KY with some severe hills, and I don’t have any issues going up any of them. I love the Homage.

I am 6'1" (used to be 6"2") with a 32" inseam. I ride the medium Homage and it is just right for me. I do have to put my saddle pretty much all the way back in the seatpost clamp. I replaced the Ergotec strength rated 5, fixed angle stem with a Ergotec Swell Ahead adjustable stem which is a strength rating 6. This lets me tune my ride position to my liking, which is somewhat sportier and less upright than the original allows.

I got the Intuvia, the display mount of which accommodates a Nyon. The stem that comes with the Kiox is not so easy to replace as it integrates the display mount. If you replace it, it leaves you no place to mount the display.

I'm going to buying a homage.
I am 1.85 tall (about like you) and I'm thinking of taking the 54 size. This will give me a more space for the leg. IT will have 4cm more as reach. Same Stack.
What do you think?

My inseam is 81.3 cm shirt sleeve neck to wrist is 89cm I find the 54cm Homage Rohloff HS to be a very comfortable fit.

Where are you located? What drive train option are you leaning towards? If you can afford the Rohloff with belt drive, do it. You will have no regrets. Derailleur would be my second choice. The Vario is good for city riding with lots of starts and stops as the shifting experience is the best. However the limited gear range can be frustrating and it is a slower ride. If you like to tour and ride in open country, the Vario inefficiency and power loss are too big a price to pay.

From what I have read I am not very impressed with the Kiox display. I bought mine with the Intuvia display and changed it out for a Nyon which I really like.

I did quite a bit of customization after purchase including saddle, tires, pedals and more. Here is a link to a thread I started on customizing my Homage:

yes yes, I had already seen your thread. I did some research in the forum. I will definitely steal some ideas. :p
approximately we have the same measurements ... but I read that you changed the handlebars more forward (for a sportier ride) and the saddle slightly further back.
I, on the other hand, will do the opposite. I was thinking of changing the handlebar with a Humpert ergotec Trekking (like the Culture) for maximum comfort. By now I'm old to be a sportsman ...

I write from Italy (Europe) and here the bureaucracies is an impressive monster! I prefer to take the 25 km/h version instead of clashing against bureaucracy for a 45 km/h version.
Thanking the lord, I could afford a rohloff, but I was thinking of buying a Homage GT vario because:
- I'll use it mainly for commuting trips to work.
- 90% in the city.
- Very very flat city (Bologna), and only a 10% outdoor trips (light hills). So, I don't think I'll need so wide range of gear (low gear).
- having a no-HS, probably I'll not need wide range (up gear).

According to this, would you still recommend the rohloff? Or do you think the Nuvinci is enough?

Last edited:
Back