Hill climbing ability

The Magnum Peak could be a great commuter. What makes the Peak stand out is having 24 speeds available to you for when you need to climb. I almost bought this one last week, but had a negative experience with the LBS who was in the process of becoming a Magnum dealer. The folks at Magnum were very apologetic and were willing to make things right, but I don't want to get the bike and then have to deal with this particular LBS for any possible warranty work.

Watch Court's review on the Peak (he did 2 in 2017) and if you're still interested check and see if Magnum has any dealers in your area and take it for a test drive. In fact, put together a list of the other bikes mentioned here and see if it's possible to test ride them nearby. I'm stuck on an island (O'ahu) so my options are very limited. I've got a business trip to Seattle tentatively set for June, and I'm going to take a few extra days to check out the local bike shops and test ride the bikes I've had on my list for the past 6 months.
Hi. I've had the Peak for a month now. Very pleased. Hill-climbing seems to be superb. Also have spoken to Magnum HQ couple of times. Very responsive.

I've got some videos in the Type - Mountain/Trail forum if you want to see how the Trek Powerfly with the Bosch motor rides on singletrack. I generally have it in tour mode.

When Newton-meter is given for a bike I would take it this is the maximum torque at the rear wheel is this thinking correct?

Hi Keith,

See you out there... I'm the guy on the burgundy touring bike with drop bars and a strange looking rear wheel!

Bob, what is your touring bike model and setup? I have thought of a setup like this guy on youtube with a Trek 820

I think the Bafang BBS02 750 watts, BBSHD 1000 watts and, the ultra up to 1500 watts those are some pretty powerful mid-drives. I see only 250 and 350 watts on the Bosch. So if the gear set and chainrings are the same the only difference being the watts on the motors would this not make the Newton Meter output higher on the Bafangs. Maybe the gearing on the Bosch system produces more torque at the motor output shaft.

I think the Bafang BBS02 750 watts, BBSHD 1000 watts and, the ultra up to 1500 watts those are some pretty powerful mid-drives. I see only 250 and 350 watts on the Bosch. So if the gear set and chainrings are the same the only difference being the watts on the motors would this not make the Newton Meter output higher on the Bafangs. Maybe the gearing on the Bosch system produces more torque at the motor output shaft.

Is it legal restriction determining what the builders use ? I'm pretty sure the Ultra is off-road only in most areas.

In general I'd always give wattage figures for e-bike motors a large amount of skepticism. They are sometimes useful for comparisons within one manufacturer but that is about it.

Some manufacturers wildly exaggerate their power figures.

Some, like Bosch, tend to understate their figures. One reason for this is that some jurisdictions in Europe regulate e-bikes depending on the wattage of the motor, with 250 watts being a common limit. Hence a lot of Bosch bike motors are "rated" to 250 watts.

A better estimate is to look at the controller specs. That will give you a pretty good idea of (at least) the maximum power that the motor can put out. The sustained power output is likely to be much lower, possibly a third or a quarter of the maximum power. So a 36v battery and a 20amp controller can put out (at least briefly) 720 watts.

@Mr. Coffee

You mentioned your Pedego 7 speed lagged on some steep hills this is a geared hub drive correct? If so is it a Bafang? I am wondering how the same 7 speed would be with a mid-drive.

@Mr. Coffee

You mentioned your Pedego 7 speed lagged on some steep hills this is a geared hub drive correct? If so is it a Bafang? I am wondering how the same 7 speed would be with a mid-drive.

It is a geared hub drive. I think it is a dapu motor. The controller is rated at 20 amps and so with a 48v battery that gives a peak power output of around 960 watts. Pedego's marketing material lists or has listed the power rating of the motor as 350 or 375 watts.

A 7-speed mid-drive would be better, largely because you could have the motor running at higher and more efficient RPMs. An 11-speed or IGH would be better than any 7-speed.

Bob, what is your touring bike model and setup? I have thought of a setup like this guy on youtube with a Trek 820

Keith, I ride a 24 year old Bruce Gordon Rock & Road. You could call it the original "29er gravel grinder" built long before those marketing terms were coined. It will take up to 700x45 tires. I usually ride 700x32 Gatorskins around town as pictured. I use drop bars. The ubiquitous flat bars of most ready made e-bikes would never work for me. I require the comfort of brake hoods with my palms shoulder width and parallel to the bike. Tops of bars are 2" above the saddle. The R&R also has 135mm rear axle spacing making it compatible with the BionX retrofits. The bike weighs in at 48 pounds.

I use the G2 control console over the stem for all functions. Cross top brake levers are nearby on the tops for safety and mountain bike leverage, Gevenalle shifters are on the regular brake levers. The kit comes with a throttle but it is designed for grip mount on flat bars so I don't use it. If I need a throttle I just put it in level 4 assist and apply light pressure on the gas pedal. The bike then shoots ahead as if it had a motor!

That trunk bag pictured is the Performance Bike Shop house brand and it is a perfect fit for my new spare battery!

BG e-bike.jpg
G2 console.jpg

The frame is from an "old school" builder with a quill stem and cantilever brakes but it is identical in function to many of the "gravel grinders" popular today.

Although BionX is in receivership the motor is their latest offering and (would be) still on warranty. That battery is brand new. I bought it from NYCeWheels just two weeks ago on sale before they ran out. The parts on the bike are all fairly new... Paul Cantis, Brooks C17, Gevenalle shifters, Salsa Cowbells and SKS Velo 47 fenders. There is one antique on the bike...The front Phil Wood hub is at least 25 years old! Now laced to a new Velocity rim.

Last edited:
One thing to add to hill climbing is head winds. I didn't ride my ebike to work yesterday because I would be heading home in a 20-25 mph headwind with gusts up to 30-35 mph for 6.5 miles all uphill for a 500ft elevation change. I'm 6'3" and 270lbs riding upright can really catch a lot of wind to cut my average speed into the single digits sometimes at PAS level 4 (5 levels of assist). Having 80 Nm of TQ on my Radrover really comes in handy since those kinds of headwinds can come from any direction with work commuting or fun rides anywhere. I end up using about 2/3 to 3/4 of my battery power on those extremely windy days riding home trying to keep my mph in double-digits.

Another reason for more TQ if you get extremely windy days.

@mrgold35

I can only imagine that tire drag would have a major effect as well. Back when I was in my late thirties early forties I got back into bicycles started with an old steel 10 speed. My son wanted to ride the MS150 ride in Maine so after 20 years of not riding I oiled up this old ten speed and proceeded to ride 150 miles over two days. I made it due to sheer willpower. The following year I rode the MS150 on a Raleigh M80 with police road tires and found that to be too slow. The next several years I used a custom carbon fiber 16 lb. Ultegra road bike and that made a world of difference. I just cannot see commuting with fat tires, the drag must be incredible. Several companies list that their fat tire and street tired bikes getting the same range from the battery I cannot believe how this can be possible.

@mrgold35

I can only imagine that tire drag would have a major effect as well. Back when I was in my late thirties early forties I got back into bicycles started with an old steel 10 speed. My son wanted to ride the MS150 ride in Maine so after 20 years of not riding I oiled up this old ten speed and proceeded to ride 150 miles over two days. I made it due to sheer willpower. The following year I rode the MS150 on a Raleigh M80 with police road tires and found that to be too slow. The next several years I used a custom carbon fiber 16 lb. Ultegra road bike and that made a world of difference. I just cannot see commuting with fat tires, the drag must be incredible. Several companies list that their fat tire and street tired bikes getting the same range from the battery I cannot believe how this can be possible.

The full 4" of the fat tires only get used on trail riding when it gets sandy or when I hit gravel. I air my tires up to 20-23 PSI and only the center tread is actually making contact on the paved road. About 2" or less down the center get worn when I work commute. My old rear Kenda Juggernauts were almost completely worn down the center line after 800 miles and nearly brand new tread on the edges from work commuting (switched to Vee8 120 tpi 26X4").

The big advantage I've found with my 4" fat tires compared to my old 700X40C commuter bike is a smoother ride over broken pavement at any speed. Also, much easier to transition between different terrains at a faster speed because of the fat tires. I can pretty much ride the same speed on a dirt road as I can on paved because of the fat tires smoothing out the ride. Way less zig-zagging with 4" fat tires to avoid bumps in the road. It is like having a Ford F-150 Raptor when I upgraded to an fat tire ebike.

So which one has the same specs as the Bafang Ultra ? I'm new to this but it sure didn't feel like it when I rode a Trek.

Again, the output between active line and CX are the same even though it is different motors. I ride a CX with the Trek Powerfly 8.

250 watt is a cut off in some places for being labelled a bicycle. The bafang motors you're listing are not classified as "bicycles" they would be mopeds. In most states that have a class system under 750 watts is bicycle, over is motorbike or moped. You would not be allowed on greenways and certainly not natural surface.

Check out People For Bikes / Ebikes and resources to find state general statutes regarding ebikes/bicycles.

Back