High-end foldable e-bike

CharlieMK

Hi,

Since a few weeks I'm thinking of selling my high speed e-bike and purchasing a foldable e-bike ('normal' speed) instead. That way I can more easily combine car, train and bike.
I'm leaning towards one with a belt since I assume this will be easier maintenance-wise and it might avoid oily fingers when storing the bike inside the trunk of my car.
I'm also leaning towards one with the Bosch Performance line (65nm) motor since some salesman put the thought in my head that this motor is more durable than the Bosch Active Plus (50nm).

I've narrowed my list down to the following three:
I think the main (only?) difference between the I-F5 and the I-F8 is the motor (Bosch performance vs Bosch active plus).
I would actually go with the I-F5, but I cannot find any dealer who has this one in stock. The I-F8 and Tern are in stock, but the I-F8 has an active plus motor (not the performance one) and the Tern has no belt.

In the end the logical choice would probably be the I-F8, but I can't seem to find any reviews about this bike. In fact, I cannot seem to find any English-spoken reviews of both the Hercules bikes.
Thoughts?

Those are nice bikes, but they wouldn't be any better than a non-folding bike for multimode commutes on trains. Something lighter with a smaller fold like the Bromtpon or Gocycle would be better for that. My Brompton folds with the chain inside the fold, so grease isn't a problem. They also sell a cover for it, which I bought but never use.

Those are nice bikes, but they wouldn't be any better than a non-folding bike for multimode commutes on trains. Something lighter with a smaller fold like the Bromtpon or Gocycle would be better for that. My Brompton folds with the chain inside the fold, so grease isn't a problem. They also sell a cover for it, which I bought but never use.
That may be a valid point indeed. How do you know the fold of the gocycle is smaller than that of the Hercules or the Tern? I guess the brompton is indeed the smallest of the pack, but I’m reading mixed reviews on that one (and unfortunately I have been unable to take it for a test drive).

That may be a valid point indeed. How do you know the fold of the gocycle is smaller than that of the Hercules or the Tern? I guess the brompton is indeed the smallest of the pack, but I’m reading mixed reviews on that one (and unfortunately I have been unable to take it for a test drive).
You pay a premium for the Brompton name and cult status, but it is the smallest fold. It will hold its resale value if you care about that. Both the Gocycle and the Brompton weigh under 40 lbs. I have never seen the Gocycle in person, but the pictures of the fold look small enough to take on a train that otherwise doesn't allow bikes. I have had a non-electric Brompton for many years and recently bought the Electric for my wife. The fold and quality is the same as the non-electric. They don't have a throttle and the UK speed cap of 15.8 mph is annoying if you live in the US. There is no reason that they couldn't have used different programming for bikes sold in the US. The steering is twitchy like the non-electric, but you get used to it in a few minutes. I replaced the saddle on both Bromptons with a Brooks B67 and also installed Ergon grips. They are sold in stores, so you can take a test ride if you have a dealer near you.

BromptonE-Bike-BlackFolded-PureElectric_e6ef22c2-4833-440f-a1bf-aa14ccdc3aac_1500x.jpg

_C0A3428.jpg

hercules-rob-fold.jpg

vektrons10-g2-fold-lr-mblack-blue-v02.jpg

I have ridden the Gocycle. The fit and finish are very nice and unlike the others the design is fully integrated. These bikes are not for me but for big city commuters with small spaces they have a place. What is funny is that if you had a Hummer in the city you would be stuck in a crisis. But with a Gocycle under your desk you could get out fast past lines of cars.

Thanks for all the answers so far. After reading some more reviews on the Brompton I don’t think that bike is for me. I don’t like the reviews of the motor and don’t like the battery backpack on a plastic mount.
The gocycle on the other hand is something else. I can’t seem to find a negative review on that one. They consistently have fixed every shortcoming with every generation. However, I can’t find a dealer with one in stock.

The Brompton isn't for everyone and the motor is not very strong. However, the luggage block on the front is solid. There is nothing flimsy about it.

Much better than what Brompton offers!
Yes and no. The Electric Brompton is more integrated. The battery pack is easily removed by pressing a button and lifting it. You don't have to disconnect wires first. Then the bike folds in under 30 seconds and you can take in the restaurant with you.

The Grin motor is more powerful and doesn't have a speed cap. The Ligo batteries from Grin are very innovative and will allow you to take your Brompton on a plane, which you can't do with the Electric Brompton.

Thanks for all the answers so far. After reading some more reviews on the Brompton I don’t think that bike is for me. I don’t like the reviews of the motor and don’t like the battery backpack on a plastic mount.
The gocycle on the other hand is something else. I can’t seem to find a negative review on that one. They consistently have fixed every shortcoming with every generation. However, I can’t find a dealer with one in stock.
I put my zip code into the Gocycle dealer locator and it said there were no local dealers and offered me a 30 day home trial. It didn't say it was a free trial though.

I put my zip code into the Gocycle dealer locator and it said there were no local dealers and offered me a 30 day home trial. It didn't say it was a free trial though.
That is odd. Did the dealers drop it or the other way around?

That is odd. Did the dealers drop it or the other way around?
There aren't any dealers near me, so it just popped with a message offering a 30 day in home trial. It is odd though. I am only about 80 miles from their dealer in Pasadena and the software didn't suggest them. I had to drive into Los Angeles to buy the Brompton, but I was down there for work anyway. I am not in the market for a Gocycle. I was just suggesting the OP could ask for a 30 day trial if he can't find a dealer.

Hi,

Since a few weeks I'm thinking of selling my high speed e-bike and purchasing a foldable e-bike ('normal' speed) instead. That way I can more easily combine car, train and bike.
I'm leaning towards one with a belt since I assume this will be easier maintenance-wise and it might avoid oily fingers when storing the bike inside the trunk of my car.
I'm also leaning towards one with the Bosch Performance line (65nm) motor since some salesman put the thought in my head that this motor is more durable than the Bosch Active Plus (50nm).

I've narrowed my list down to the following three:
I think the main (only?) difference between the I-F5 and the I-F8 is the motor (Bosch performance vs Bosch active plus).
I would actually go with the I-F5, but I cannot find any dealer who has this one in stock. The I-F8 and Tern are in stock, but the I-F8 has an active plus motor (not the performance one) and the Tern has no belt.

In the end the logical choice would probably be the I-F8, but I can't seem to find any reviews about this bike. In fact, I cannot seem to find any English-spoken reviews of both the Hercules bikes.
Thoughts?
I think high end foldable ebike may be an oxymoron like jumbo shrimp. Smack me if I'm outa line...

I think high end foldable ebike may be an oxymoron like jumbo shrimp. Smack me if I'm outa line...
There is such a thing. Look at the price of the GoCycle. It may not be what you are looking for in an ebike. However, it is good at what it was designed for.

Again, it has its place. If I was a med student at NYU living in a cramped apartment and wanted transportation to get on a train that also fits under a desk, yes that is perfect. But I am not. I purchased another Boda Boda cargo bike today. A very different animal. I will convert it like the ones in the photos.

Attachments

• Boda01.JPG
    Boda01.JPG
    264.4 KB · Views: 224
  • BodaBoda01.JPG
    BodaBoda01.JPG
    604.6 KB · Views: 246
Good feedback, thanks! I guess we may be hitting some geographical/cultural differences here. I live in Europe and many people spend hours (including myself - mainly pre-Covid) in the car commuting, not because we have to drive far, but because we are stuck in traffic jams. The train is often a much better choice and multimodal commuting is a big thing in/near most European cities. Maybe that's different in the US.

I've found a dealer, not sure yet if I am ready to purchase one without a test drive (dealer is not nearby).

Back