High Ah Batteries

I understand that Grin Satiator allows setting more limits to both current and voltage, than a typical stock charger. You can't go wrong with more limits. Just make sure you don't set the current too high - if it has adjustable current. Luna programmable charger has a switch to set the current to either 1A or 5A, don't know about Satiator.

At $320 per, Satiator is a bit expensive.

Installing 2 batteries - I saw this in the OP post but wasn't sure what exactly he meant, i.e. one as a spare or both at the same time.

Last edited:
I am researching a Pedego Platinum Intercepter for my first electric bike.
They want $400 to upgrade a 48v 10Ah battery to 48v 15Ah.

I see on Alibaba.com a 48v 26.1 Ah battery (w rear rack) for $515. Made with Samsung or Panasonic cells same as Pedego OEM batts.

This seems like a steal. Can anyone tell me if this would work?

The Pedego upgrade is $300 MSRP. That bike is one of their most expensive models. Try to talk them into a $ 2-300 discount on the package and/or maybe an extra battery at wholesale. Even at $300, I would probably still get the 15 Ah. My worry would be that the discharge rate on the alibaba pack might not give you the performance that you want. I have seen huge Ah-capacity packs advertised as " for 250-watt motor systems" and "for 5-10-watt BMS maximum" and such. Discharging a pack near its limit will make it hot, especially in the Phoenix area! A low discharge rate also usually means a slow charge rate as well if you want the pack to last. If you do go aftermarket, I would stick with Lunacycle or em3EV. Shipping on a pack from China will be $85-90. Your route is fairly flat. If you carry your charger (less weight than an extra battery) and are stopping for lunch/dinner, most restaurants will let you top off your battery.

Let's see, if you put the batteries in series you will be running twice the voltage through the controller and motor, and one or both of them will probably fry in minutes. If you put the batteries in parallel they will eventually get unbalanced and that will probably trigger thermal runaway in the battery with lower voltage. Hopefully you will be a safe distance away and not riding your bike when that happens.

Hooking two batteries up without significant other circuitry (at a minimum a voltage-balancing circuit) and probably substantial controller software modifications is going to be a bad idea. If you were determined to do so, I'd install a lockout switch so you can only draw from one battery at a time.

So, has anyone here used a Satiator with Pedego batteries? Will it work without creating a fire hazard or damaging the battery?
John: You are correct the 15Ah upgrade is $300. After reading all the excellent comments I am leaning towards a 50v/27.1Ah EM3ev triangle batt w/ bag and NO 2nd batt. I will try to sell the Pedego stock 10Ah to the dealer or another Pedego owner. The solid welded Pedego rear rack influenced my thinking of going piggy back but using the triangle pack will give a better balanced bike given that the batt is 15lbs. This solves all connection problems and provides extended batt life by not requiring 100% charge and discharges.

Get a bike with battery already mounted in the triangle. There is a lot of work involved into changing the location of battery (and controller!) from the rear rack to the triangle. Not to mention paying for OEM battery that you won't be using and then trying to sell it at loss. There are many bikes with mid-mounted battery (probably more than with rear-mounted).

charger-iii.jpg

From the pictures of the Satiator I think that is a standard connector.

I am leaning towards a 50v/27.1Ah EM3ev triangle batt w/ bag and NO 2nd batt. This solves all connection problems and provides extended batt life by not requiring 100% charge and discharges.
Excellent choice. Getting the battery to the center of the bike greatly improves the balance and you have some serious mileage there.
Turn down the volume Bruno is a bit crazy, but it gives insight into the quality of the battery you are considering. Sadly the OEM battery doesn't hold a candle!. Not dissing the existing battery, just that this is a step up! I love my triangle bag batteries. As long as you're ordering, I'd ad an extra bag. The do get beat up and the sun is hard on them...AND at time of purchase they are CHEAP! Shipping from China is crazy expensive!! Let us know when you get yours and we'll help make sure it's set up correctly!

View attachment 17017

From the pictures of the Satiator I think that is a standard connector.
If you google the model number you'll find that charger is used by other vendors. Golden Motor is one. You are goo to go! Just send the photo to [email protected] and they'll take great care! I'm certain you're good to go but they will be your warranty. By the way, I just added my second charger from them. I can't be more pleased.
Disclaimer. I have sold several.

Excellent choice. Getting the battery to the center of the bike greatly improves the balance and you have some serious mileage there.
Turn down the volume Bruno is a bit crazy, but it gives insight into the quality of the battery you are considering. Sadly the OEM battery doesn't hold a candle!. Not dissing the existing battery, just that this is a step up! I love my triangle bag batteries. As long as you're ordering, I'd ad an extra bag. The do get beat up and the sun is hard on them...AND at time of purchase they are CHEAP! Shipping from China is crazy expensive!! Let us know when you get yours and we'll help make sure it's set up correctly!
Thomas: An extra bag sounds good. One problem, the EM3ev bags are not designed to support the 15lb battery from the top tube but from the down tube. The Pedego down tube is too steep too support any weight so the bag will have to be reinforced. Simplest way would be two long velcro straps wrapped around the top tube and under the bag and then the short velcro clips attached to the seat tube. Maybe the top of the bag could be reinforced but I would have to see it first. Any ideas?

Thomas: An extra bag sounds good. One problem, the EM3ev bags are not designed to support the 15lb battery from the top tube but from the down tube. The Pedego down tube is too steep too support any weight so the bag will have to be reinforced. Simplest way would be two long velcro straps wrapped around the top tube and under the bag and then the short velcro clips attached to the seat tube. Maybe the top of the bag could be reinforced but I would have to see it first. Any ideas?
Which frame is this, link please?

Thanks! I see your point. I'd offer a simple solution and get some good quality nylon straps to support the battery AND bag. Amazon has all sorts of "black lashing straps". I use NRS lashing straps left over from my rafting days but they're blue. There are all sorts of 1" black straps available. I have seen ebikers fashion a bar as a support for a pack. There are also cross bar adapters, that can provide under pack support, from many online bike suppliers. Niagara has three, like this one...
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Lashing straps provide good support as well.
https://www.amazon.com/SGT-Lashing-...8-11&keywords=black+lashing+straps&th=1&psc=1

I haven't ridden mine much over 40 miles without charging, but I'm confidant my Platinum would do well over 50 miles on the standard battery. I haven't let my battery get more than 3 bars down.

I haven't ridden mine much over 40 miles without charging, but I'm confidant my Platinum would do well over 50 miles on the standard battery. I haven't let my battery get more than 3 bars down.
"Bars" Aren't a good way to measure voltage. Those gauges can be seriously off. Good for us to have even a cheap digital, auto off multimeter. Use it to occasional get a real reading and be certain those little LED gauges are giving you good information.

I pay more attention to Ah use and wh/mi than voltage. My CA 3 gives me constant input on them and although there is a bar type meter it never is as accurate and not sure why grin even has it on there.

One thing to remember is that the batteries performance is not consistent throughout its discharge cycle. You will get less mileage the last half as your voltage drops.

Best thing is to know what your battery will do for you as it will vary from what the same system will do for another rider.

I pay more attention to Ah use and wh/mi than voltage. My CA 3 gives me constant input on them and although there is a bar type meter it never is as accurate and not sure why grin even has it on there.

One thing to remember is that the batteries performance is not consistent throughout its discharge cycle. You will get less mileage the last half as your voltage drops.

Best thing is to know what your battery will do for you as it will vary from what the same system will do for another rider.
Grin doesn't add the LED gauge, it's a feature most battery case makers add.

What do you set the multimeter dial on and where do you touch the leads?
I use Google to answer nearly every question. But you use the 200V setting and the instruction are with your multimeter manual, Red to red positive and black to black negative.

Here's how I solve ALL my problems. I ask a direct question on Google.

How to test voltage ebike battery multimeter

http://bfy.tw/CpWF

I always check the video tab and usually find a video demonstration. This works for almost every thing we need to do on our bikes. The power of google is amazing. I've build a dozen bike from scratch and found nearly every thing I need with a simple quick Google search. When I worked support I often solved problems I couldn't answer the same way.

All the best, I hope this helps!

Back