Hi

The only problem I’m having is that I was getting serious peddle scrape before I maxed out rear suspension at 295 psi. (I didn’t want to go any more than that.) Now that I’m there I barely scraped with a heavy lean into a turn
With any bike you will have peddle scrape when you lean heavily into a turn. You should always* be turning the peddles so the inside peddle is at the top of its stroke during a turn. A full suspension bike will usually let the peddles get a bit closer to the ground, but you shouldn't have to be maxing out the shock PSI just for peddle scrape issues.

You should slide the shock o-rings to the bottom, and gently sit on the bike with all your weight as if you are about to ride. Then gently get off the bike. Try not to bounce. Then notice how far the o-rings moved. They should be moving ~20% of the total suspension travel, if the shocks are set properly for your weight.

Is it worth it or just get a phone mount for gps directions separately?
IMHO the smartphone hub is a downgrade from a dedicated display. In a year or two as phones & OS change, the chance that the smartphone hub won't work quite right increases. Phone mounts are cheap and give you other benefits beyond just using the phone as a GPS, so I'd go that route.

Can the 2020 hold 625 batteries?
The lower battery on the 2020 Superdelite is a 625w. The upper is a 500w. There isn't any other batteries that you can swap in those locations to increase your capacity.

Although I'm not familiar with your particular bike, pedal scrape can be a common problem on many bikes for heavy riders. Make sure that your tires are at their fully rated inflation. Even a millimeter or two of tire width can allow/disallow the pedals to scrape. You may also want to consider and discuss with your bike shop slightly wider tires, maybe by a quarter inch or so. Trying to alter your pedaling technique because of occasional pedal scraping is not really a very good solution. The pedals should not be striking at all on otherwise flat terrain, and all it could take is one pedal strike at speed to cause you to go over - and that's never good. Before I changed out the crank arms, I would see about lower profile and/or shorter pedals. That may be the solution to your particular issue. Lastly, I applaud your efforts to get into biking for health and wellness reasons, and I hope you are able to get it all worked out.

!!! Thanks for the thorough reply! The fronts are not giving me any issue, on this bike or my old hard tail. It’s all to blame on the rear. I’ll take your tip and analyze this tonight. Is there an o ring on rear shock? Is there such thing as a “big boy” rear shock?
Yeah, there is an o-ring on the rear as well. It's definitely harder to use IMHO, but it should give you a rough gauge if you are sagging a lot more then normal or not.

Although I'm 208 lbs, at 6'5" I'm not heavy. I had a pedal strike on my first ride on my new Delite GX HS. The very nimble GX likes to be thrown abound corners so short term, I've resolved the issue by not doing aggressive cornering with inside pedal down. It is generally a better rider technique to have the outside pedal down and your weight on that pedal when cornering but with trail riding that isn't always possible.

The flat pedals that came on my GX are unnecessarily large and could be replaced by a smaller pedal that would help eliminate pedal strike. I've done this in the past with other bikes. Increasing tire pressure will help but might affect ride comfort so I'd try smaller pedals and riding technique as better long term solutions.

If you bought that bike from eBike Central in NC, I wish you good luck in getting any service after the sell. Their mechanic only works 1 day a week. I ordered a Nevo 3 from them in Feb 2021 and had difficulty getting answers to any questions I asked. I sensed a lack of integrity at this dealership and found they would rather try to blow smoke up my butt than make an honest effort to get me real answers. I felt like I knew more about the R&M bikes than they did.

I ended up speaking with two other eBike Central customers on the R&M Facebook Forum and they were even more dissatisfied than I was. I figured things would only get worse after they had all my money, so I decided to cut my losses and cancel my order. I had to file a dispute with Visa to get my deposit back, but I did get it all back.

I still have and really enjoy my first R&M which is a 2019 Nevo GH which came from San Diego Fly RIdes. I consider myself very lucky that I did not spend $9K at eBike Central and end up with lousy service after the sell. If I ever buy another R&M in the future, it will come from Fly Rides or Propel.

Thanks for the reply! I’ll relearn with a better technique and evaluate tire pressure as well. The peddles on this bike are quite small had several peddle strikes before I bought it.
Good plan and remember, proper tire and shock air pressure is all about getting best the performance, comfort and safety for your riding style. I wouldn't prioritize ground clearance as a reason for increasing either.

I suppose this is bad form?
Yes. And pedal strikes are only the start and most dramatic. Bad form will lead to your general in ability to control the bike. Add that it is an e-bike and your next post might be about a crash with pictures of road rash and about bone damage.

Check out the numerous bike handling YouTube videos. On a grass course, in a day you can get enough done to start on the right path and have a great, crash free first year.

The only problem I’m having is that I was getting serious peddle scrape before I maxed out rear suspension at 295 psi.

You can dial in the bike by changing the shock to one rated for a higher load. Everyone is different. What works for some may not work for all. With the roads I ride on I have to put more air into the shock than my weight to avoid bottoming out on a bad patch of road. If I was a large guy I'd be having issues as the shock on my Delite is limited to 300.

I put 155mm crank arms on my Superdelite and my wife’s Homage. They have improved ground clearance noticeably, although cadence is up slightly - actually good for the mostly off road recreation riding we do, but not so good for a HS model and road riding I suspect.

I recently put Fox Factory front fork and rear shock with Kashmina coating on my 2018 Delite Mountain. They fit just fine. The fork has 130mm travel which raised the pedals up about 15mm over the 120mm stock Fox Float shock. Also taking the tire up to a larger width will get the pedals up higher too.

20210227_144208.jpg
20210227_144147.jpg

I recently put Fox Factory front fork and rear shock with Kashmina coating on my 2018 Delite Mountain. They fit just fine. The fork has 130mm travel which raised the pedals up about 15mm over the 120mm stock Fox Float shock. Also taking the tire up to a larger width will get the pedals up higher too.
In addition to a great shock, that is some shiny bling you have added to your bike Alaskan - hmmm now wouldn't that look cool on Susie's Homage.... :)

@Jay Kay thanks Jay. The latest, dare I say final addition to the revamped 2018 Delite Mountain is the addition of the 27.5 x 2.8 Reflective sidewall Johnny Watt tires and the SKS Race Blade mug guards. With its PNW Coast dropper post and Ballz axle to accommodate the Burley Coho trailer, Supernova M99 Pro 24 headlight, derestricted CX motor, 18 tooth front chainring and 11-46 tooth Sunrace casseette, this bike is set up for doing long touring rides in the back country, on logging roads, or exploring rural byways. It now has just over 6,000 miles on it. Thus far wear parts are all that have needed attention. A true work horse of a bike. And now more comfortable and capable than ever.

20210526_125909.jpg

I can’t think of a more capable bike for this type of long distance “off-road” touring. There is something about the aesthetic of the older style delite that I love, especially in the burnt orange colour. Mind you, your shocks look much better on the white than they would with the orange. When you have time could you PM on your verdict on the mud guards please?

That is unfortunate on a lot of levels. I too had COVID but with little or no health related effects. Your weight puts you at or above the limit most bike frames can handle and when combined with your above average level of fitness, bad things can happen. Being 6'5", finding a bike that "fit" was difficult but I'm only 210lbs so height was my only problematic measure and the easier one to overcome. As an owner of one of the bikes you considered (MD 1000) and now the happily riding the Delite I understand your issues. My Delite GX extreme rohloff HS has a chain drive and that combo seems perfect for my commuter/workout riding style.

Belt drives sound great in theory but there are some challenges with belt tensioning that seem to cause issues. After finally blowing out the clearly inadequate 5 speed Sturmey Archer IGH belt combo on the MD 1000, I switched to the SRAM 9 speed chain drive train and it is now performing as it should. The factory direct version is now available with the Rohloff 14 IGH belt option and that may seem to be an option for you but with a max rider weight of 300 lbs, you would still be out of spec on the MD 1000. The beefy MD 1000 would certainly look to be a perfect match but again, it has it's limitations.

The Delite is a vastly superior bike by almost any measure. I suggest you replace the belt and try a slightly less torque heavy riding style. I am never in Turbo mode find Tour perfect for most riding conditions. I am careful shifting only while pausing pedaling and that seems to be a riding style that works well for the bike and drivetrain. Good luck ...

Last edited:
That is unfortunate on a lot of levels. I too had COVID but with little or no health related effects. Your weight puts you at or above the limit most bike frames can handle and when combined with your above average level of fitness, bad things can happen. Being 6'5", finding a bike that "fit" was difficult but I'm only 210lbs so height was my only problematic measure and the easier one to overcome. As an owner of one of the bikes you considered (MD 1000) and now the happily riding the Delite I understand your issues. My Delite GX extreme rohloff HS has a chain drive and that combo seems perfect for my commuter/workout riding style.

Belt drives sound great in theory but there are some challenges with belt tensioning that seem to cause issues. After finally blowing out the clearly inadequate 5 speed Sturmey Archer IGH belt combo on the MD 1000, I switched to the SRAM 9 speed chain drive train and it is now performing as it should. The Factory direct version is now available with the Rohloff 14 IGH belt option and that may have be an option for you but with a max rider weight of 300 lbs, you would still be out of spec on the MD 1000.

The Delite is a vastly superior bike by almost any measure. I suggest you replace the belt and try a slightly less torque heavy riding style. I am never in Turbo mode find Tour perfect for most riding conditions. I am very careful shifting only while pausing pedaling and that seems to be a riding style that works well for the bike and drive train.
Wise words to heed.

Also, is anyone else experiencing the fraying of the belt on the engine side only? This fraying runs the length of the belt.
Is your location DC as stated, or does that mean something else? If so, why don‘t you take the bike to Electricity, a Trek dealer or Daily Rider? This is a remarkable event for only 20miles on the bike, so for your own safety you should have it checked out.

There have been reports of drive units that were hard to pedal here — early Gen4s. If this is a 2020, who knows? But only a Bosch-certified dealer caN tell you for sure.

Last edited:
aaaand the carbon belt snapped today.... Stopped for pictures and a quick break. Was in some light grass enviolo was in "flat" gearing, i suppose that would be high gear? Was also in turbo mode. As i mounted and started off, something wasnt working right, the peddle was requiring much more force from me than any time in the 20 miles i've put on the bike.... I was assuming the higher torque requirement was because of the gearing and grass conditions... and the motor doesnt kick in instantaneously... 1/4 revolution is all it took. Also took a gnarly groin shot that’s got me in a decent limp and bruising 12 hours later. Honestly? I dont know if the motor locked up or something else. I hadnt had any motor issues before this point. Breaking a belt sucks. Walking home a few miles with a brand new $7500 70 lb paperweight sucks even worse. I haven’t really looked over the sprockets or the motor yet. Had the bigger issue of getting home to contend with, that and bending down wasn’t feeling too hot in the crotch. Right now im quite concerned that the high torque to absolutely no torque might have nuked the motor. But it could've nuked before this. IDK. Absolutely no problems from the motor before.

Any suggestions? Does Bosch store analytical data on the motor?

photo shows exactly where it happened.

Edit: After thinking about it a little more I did do one thing for the first time before parking it for photos. I tried out the walk assist. It worked perfectly fine. I probably went 30 feet. It was about 5-10 minutes after this that the failure happened. Could this have contributed? I didn’t shut the kiox off. Would it have “stayed” in walk assist when I tried to peddle and it wouldn’t allow me to?
Wow, from memory when my belt snapped it looked almost the same in terms of your tear pattern. I have not time to upload what happened yet but that is uncanny how the snap pattern looks like my snap pattern. I showed a bloke at work that dabbles in hobby steam engines etc., he reckons the snap location is a join. How is your new belt getting on since?

Back