Hi tech solution to a low tech issue.

Joe EE

Hey everyone. This might strike some of you as a bit much but I like to hobby on these kind of things so I would welcome anyone’s constructive input. My paranoia of riding in the street has caused me to want to go a step beyond just rear view mirrors. I find every mirror option inadequate. I have been considering installing a car back up cam system on my bike. It puts out a WiFi signal that will send video to my handlebar mounted IPhone. I am thinking this constant rear view, without relying on the angle of my bars and the peephole view that I have gotten from my mirrors, will give a bit more peace of mind. I have been looking at the 4u cam available on Amazon and think it might do the trick. Be interested to hear from anyone who has done this or has any experience with that device. Thanks.

Great idea! I mean, maybe. Could be terrible. But great idea! I look forward to hearing whether anyone’s tried this.

Go for it! I drive my Tesla with the rear camera on all the time and it gives me great situational awareness. I think it would be even better on a bicycle!

I think it would be more distracting to be looking at the image on your handlebar mounted phone.
I use a mirror like this.
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Your point is well taken. I have an old IPhone 6 that I plan to repurpose and my intention is the occasional glance at a full field of view, and not to get hung up on staring at what’s behind me. It will be interesting to see how it works in practice. I appreciate the mirror suggestion but whenever I use a mirror I feel like I am staring through a keyhole.

Hey everyone. This might strike some of you as a bit much but I like to hobby on these kind of things so I would welcome anyone’s constructive input. My paranoia of riding in the street has caused me to want to go a step beyond just rear view mirrors. I find every mirror option inadequate. I have been considering installing a car back up cam system on my bike. It puts out a WiFi signal that will send video to my handlebar mounted IPhone. I am thinking this constant rear view, without relying on the angle of my bars and the peephole view that I have gotten from my mirrors, will give a bit more peace of mind. I have been looking at the 4u cam available on Amazon and think it might do the trick. Be interested to hear from anyone who has done this or has any experience with that device. Thanks.
Hello-How do you plan on feeding power to the camera? Perhaps a separate power supply mounted to a rear rack? Just curious. THX!

Yes Bob, either a separate battery pack in my saddlebags or possibly run off the main battery.

Hi Joe EE,
Although your theory has merit I believe the constant monitoring of the camera screen would be very distracting to what is happening ahead of you and could actually be more dangerous
Have you considered this option https://buy.garmin.com/en-AU/AU/p/518151 to supplement your mirrors

Hi and thank you for the suggestion. That is a cool device and I had never heard of that before. It is a bit pricey. I should mention once again that the intention is not to stare at the camera screen, but to intentionally ignore it unless it is necessary to know what is going on behind me. The same way that you do with your rearview mirror in your automobile. No one that is driving safely is spending excessive periods of time staring into the rearview mirror while driving. But I do appreciate the suggestion.

I had a kind of home spun solution for awhile: Old Android phone running the CameraFi app, connected to a Logitech C920 through an OTG device. Attached the camera to the back of my seat post with a clamp from Amazon. Worked pretty good, but I found I was on roads with much less traffic than expected. I ended up being happier just looking behind occasionally and feeing up my handlebar real estate! I'm sure you've seen some of the products out there searching Google, but it seems they're either way more expensive than they need to be or some crowdfunding campaign that never took off.

I had a kind of home spun solution for awhile: Old Android phone running the CameraFi app, connected to a Logitech C920 through an OTG device. Attached the camera to the back of my seat post with a clamp from Amazon. Worked pretty good, but I found I was on roads with much less traffic than expected. I ended up being happier just looking behind occasionally and feeing up my handlebar real estate! I'm sure you've seen some of the products out there searching Google, but it seems they're either way more expensive than they need to be or some crowdfunding campaign that never took off.

Thanks, that is most helpful. I don’t think I will mind the cluttered cockpit if it is going to help save my ass. So you found that that set up was helpful to you? I just got back into riding again last summer and have lost all of my youthful invincibility complex. The camera I mentioned in my post is going for like $100 which I don’t find to be out of the question. I think it’s certainly worth a try. I also don’t mind turning to look, it just seems that every time I turn back forward I get nervous that I might’ve missed something. Extreme safety paranoia.

My favorite bicycling activity- which I’m hoping to start doing again this summer after ~10 years when I buy an ebike this spring- is to let myself get lost in the rural backwaters east of Seattle and then find my way back to civilization. Im really looking forward to using a handlebar- mounted iPhone running Google Maps or somesuch for this purpose, as it’s a blast to see the possible routes and choose one based on what looks interesting.

I’m thinking it would be cool if I could see an image from a rear-facing camera on that same phone, maybe even have it automatically cycle between the camera and map every few seconds? Hope it’s ok if I pipedream here, I like your idea.

My favorite bicycling activity- which I’m hoping to start doing again this summer after ~10 years when I buy an ebike this spring- is to let myself get lost in the rural backwaters east of Seattle and then find my way back to civilization. Im really looking forward to using a handlebar- mounted iPhone running Google Maps or somesuch for this purpose, as it’s a blast to see the possible routes and choose one based on what looks interesting.

I’m thinking it would be cool if I could see an image from a rear-facing camera on that same phone, maybe even have it automatically cycle between the camera and map every few seconds? Hope it’s ok if I pipedream here, I like your idea.

Dream away. Sometimes I think that I may be thinking too much about this stuff and then I hear from people like you. Just trying to have fun and protect my ass and re-create some of my boyhood memories without having to be terrified of a really bad set of circumstances. Today’s technology provides a really unexpected set of capabilities.

Thanks, that is most helpful...Extreme safety paranoia.

I hear that! I did think it was helpful. The image was clear enough and a simple glance down was all it took to see what was behind me. I was trying to recreate the ease of looking in the rear view mirror while driving and I felt like that did the trick.

I hear that! I did think it was helpful. The image was clear enough and a simple glance down was all it took to see what was behind me. I was trying to recreate the ease of looking in the rear view mirror while driving and I felt like that did the trick.

Thank you my friend. I look forward to giving it a try!

Thank you my friend. I look forward to giving it a try!

Joe EE-Great idea indeed with a lot of options out there to play with. I see some bargains on Amazon for simple day/night backup cameras. Perhaps you can keep us posted on the outcome with pictures? It can probably give us all something to brainstorm on...Thanks and good luck!

8380DC9B-0B4A-4098-AD80-4B90371EEBA4.jpeg
FCBF9C52-9C0F-4A3E-A3F4-8B1DD9A0C1CE.jpeg
2BFD966B-72EB-4909-9509-5D08062E7AF7.jpeg
F715CBE6-F53E-406D-B7CE-5110C683281A.jpeg
D6E6EFFB-5C9A-4504-8736-B11F965F89F6.jpeg
Rear view cam installed!! Riding with it, it actually is better than I expected. Just removed the mirror. It’s going to be a fun summer.
I recommend this idea to anyone else who is paranoid lol.

Wow Joe EE-This looks awesome. Nice setup from top to bottom. Thanks for sharing. What kind of camera is that- kinda looks like a Logitech webcam?? That is a well equipped Voltbike! Looks like your customizing can give some ebike dealers some good tips on how to do customer setup at POS. Have fun with that new rig this summer!

Back