hey from Port Coquitlam

Storm

Somehow, despite being a long time viewer of the EBR on UTube, I never made the trip over to the forum. Clearly that was an error.

Court's EBR videos were an educational gold mine for me, taking me from utter cluelessness to beginner. Enough so that I felt confident to buy my first electric trike, just last Tuesday. Its been something like 35 years since I've been on a bicycle and to say I embarrassed myself while testing the trike at the dealership would be underselling my performance. Balance isn't my superpower, and combined with velocity, well, it was all I could do to manage a straight line. But I eventually got the hang of it and have been having an utter blast ever since.

The new ride is a Huzou Thunder trike, seven speed Shimano gears, five levels assist and throttle, 500w 48v, 150lb/330k capacity. It's an easy ride without assist on flat roads despite being fairly heavy, I find I don't need the assist most of the time when riding around my neighborhood.

I settled on this bike in part because the price was good - $1,800 Canadian - but also because the bike is purpose built, heavy duty, comes with fenders, hardwired front and rear lights, it has the Shimano gears and disc brakes. The rear basket is sturdy and holds a lot, which is awesome because I do love to garden. This thing will have no problems handling bales of soil. The front basket I'm not so sure about, but I've noticed that car divers are nicer when it's on the bike.

The service from the bike shop was excellent. They were patient, encouraging and informative. I like that their service menu is posted on their website with prices and that they provide pick up and delivery for servicing and repairs.

The down side is there is no manual and I'm still trying to understand all the symbols on the display screen. But given the price I'm sure I'll cope.

Thanks for having me! Cheers, Storm

Hello Storm, Wow! I’m impressed. Just so you know, your not the only one who felt like they embarrassed themselves at an e-bike dealer. I’m so glad not to feel like I was the the only one. Your braver than I am because I then went directly to the internet and bought Volt Bike’s online. A Yukon for my husband(he loves it) and a Mariner step thru for myself. I tried to find your trike online but ended up at a Huzou site that featured giant motorcycle trikes that resembled sofas LOL! Anyway, MY balance is not what it used to be, too. Mtl Biker passed on some very kind and good advice regarding feeling comfortable, practice and speed. I Will persevere with the Mariner but I think you made a great choice. I just don’t want to break a hip. My gut tells me that perhaps I should have bought a trike. Would you mind giving the name of the Bike shop. Any other thoughts about why a front basket would soften the heart of a car driver? If you can find out the manufacturer and model of the LCD controller I suspect that someone here would know where a manuel for it might be found on the internet. I’m glad to hear that your having so much fun with your trike. Happy trails Cheers JO

I am nearby in Burnaby, and there are a number of us from the lower mainland here. We should all meet up and do a group ride sometime.

Hi JO

Thanks for the kind response. One of the things I enjoy about being older is that embarrassment no longer poses a serious threat to my self esteem:) As for that front basket, it's straight out of a black and white French art film. All it needs are a couple of baguettes poking over the top to complete the look. It 'gentles' the look of the trike and, with my white beard, suggests a rider who's attention might wander. Maybe that's just in my head, but whatever it is, people seem inclined to give me room.

This has to be the most obscure trike on the internet. As far as I know there's just the one store in the Greater Vancouver Metro area that carries this line. The manufacturer's web site is a cluttered mess but I did find the trike there, once. I don't know why I didn't bookmark it!

I only found this trike by chance after several unhappy encounter a with another store that carries the Liberty and Latitude trikes. I'm actually glad things worked out the way they did as the Thunder comes with stock accessories that most other trikes don't -bell, lights, fenders - and has a bigger load capacity. I'll put a link to the store's web page at the end of this post.

There is no branding on the controller, but I'm guessing controllers will have some over lap so a bit of time on UTube should do the trick.

I am nearby in Burnaby, and there are a number of us from the lower mainland here. We should all meet up and do a group ride sometime.
Hi!
I agree I'm new to the forum somewhat and am from Langley and work in Poco. I have already found some great rides in the Lower mainland you do. 👌

My rides???? I don't recall ever posting rides on here. I am on Strava, but under a different name.
What does that mean... I'm was just saying that I have found some great places to ride in the lower mainland and I am on the Lectric XP forum section

Hi!
I agree I'm new to the forum somewhat and am from Langley and work in Poco. I have already found some great rides in the Lower mainland you do. 👌

You quoted me and said "great rides in the Lower mainland you do." So I assumed you meant specifically rides I do.

Back