Here is an announcement of sorts. Got my new Optibike today.

Reddy Kilowatt

Hi all:
Wowzer!Here is a picture of my new Optibike Pioneer Allroad. Is this ever one sweet bike. It took eight weeks, which is the longest I've waited for anything except losing my virginity, but this was worth the wait. (So was that, but that's another story.)
This machine is a climbing fool, which was of paramount importance as there is a s***-kicker of a hill between home and work. They just paved most of my commute, so the route is as smooth as butter. So life is good and I just wanted to share my joy with some other eBike enthusiasts.
Allen
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Good call man. It is a toolbar on backwards. It wouldn't fit behind the seat post and it would really suck to get a flat on my maiden voyage-first commute home without tools, patches, and my CO2 thingie, capisce? That said, I'm kinda' liking it there. As it's slim, my thighs don't rub it when I pedal. But of course, this is a work in progress, so my strategy may change in the future.

I'm waterboarding mine:

Shea_Dash_Batteries_Color_small_6671.jpg

Looks good Shea.... Did you resolve the problems with the Dash, or was that someone else?
While I've addressed my share of problems I suspect that was another Dasher. Been problem free for months now. RE extender, I've not yet fully nerded out my Dashboard. TTYL, -S

Hi all:
Wowzer!Here is a picture of my new Optibike Pioneer Allroad. Is this ever one sweet bike. It took eight weeks, which is the longest I've waited for anything except losing my virginity, but this was worth the wait. (So was that, but that's another story.)
This machine is a climbing fool, which was of paramount importance as there is a s***-kicker of a hill between home and work. They just paved most of my commute, so the route is as smooth as butter. So life is good and I just wanted to share my joy with some other eBike enthusiasts.
Allen
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Very nice bike. I thought the new OptiBikes were going to have the motor, and battery in the BB. Tell us more about it.

That's Optibike's new SIMBB you're talking about. Court reviewed that machine, and while it looks very tempting it's way beyond my means with a tentative price tag of $5K.
This Allroad manages to come in at $2,795.00. I think this is largely by virtue of it being the first Optibike to be built overseas. Taiwan I think; which is way better than mainland China, from what I've heard. (All of Optibikes other machines—including the SIMBB—are built in the good old USA and priced accordingly.)
But the Allroad still gets all the engineering skillz that Jim Turner and his team bring to the table. It's a mid-drive that leverages a touring-triple up front and an eight gear cassette in the back, which is why it climbs the steep hills in my neighborhood and slides along nicely on the flats too.
The bike seems very well-mannered and happily clawed its way up Brinton Hill behind my cottage at almost seven mph, and I wasn't even in the right gear. Since my Mom presumably doesn't read this forum, I can also report that it went down the other side of Brinton Hill at a shade over 40. It also exhibited exemplary manners no matter what I asked it to do, so I am a very happy camper here in the quiet corner of Connecticut.
I replaced the stock grips, saddle, and pedals, but otherwise I am more than satisfied with the parts Optibike selected here. This company's motors have gotten a bad rap for being noisy. Not so with the one on this bike; it's smooth, quiet, and torquey. It doesn't scream eBike; it just screams. It's a very stealthy machine.
In fact it’s so stealthy, perhaps I will be afforded the opportunity to whoosh by some of the lycra-clad young bucks on their $6K, carbon-fiber, racer-wannabee bikes and leave them wondering how they got dusted by an old-as-dirt dude on an upright commuter rig.
It will be especially poetic if I happen to be hauling a week’s worth of garbage and recyclables—in my decidedly un-aerodynamic milk crate on the rear rack—to the dump. (Whoops; I mean the transfer station.) Naturally, if this opportunity presents itself, I will put the Grey Ghost in Pedal Assist Five and spin the cranks heroically when I do a horizon job on them; sweet!
Allen

That sounds like a great bike Allen. I bet it will be very dependable. $2800 sounds like a deal. What do suppose the top cruising speed is on level ground, and what range do you think it will have at that speed?

Vis-à-vis answers to your questions about cruising speed and range: When the rain Gods stop already, I can let you know the the answer to the first. When my spare battery arrives and I can more fully deplete the battery I will post an answer to the second.
The rain—which was supposed to end last night—is still here, but tomorrow augurs well. Since I always like to work Saturdays, I can finally take this machine out for another run. (Haven't resolved the fender issue yet and I don't like to get to work sporting a skunk stripe, capisce?)
Allen

I see, you bought a new bike, and now there's 40 days, and 40 nights of rain. Why does that always happen lol?
Yeah people always ask me how fast my bikes goes, which is easy to figure out, but range is a trick question. That's why I only ask about it at a specific cruising speed. You can't really tell anyone what your range is unless you specify the speed you're doing it at. People that don't own an electric usually don't understand that.

I have cycle analyst which tells me how many amp hours per mile I'm using, so I don't really need to run the battery down all the way to find out. I can just ride about 10 miles, and then calculate the range to empty. My bike gets about 47 miles cruising at 20 mph, but cruising at 15 it would go over 60 miles. The problem is I can't ride it that slow for that long lol. I only have about a 20 mile butt.

Hi all:
Allen
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)[/
Very nice ebike. I have an etrike which has a 1000 watt gearless hub motor and a 48 volt battery. It does fine going up hills unless the uphill is very steep and long. The steep hill (mountain) I want to climb is at least 30 miles long and the gear less hub motor overheats after about five miles.

Court, thru his reviews and emails has been very kind and provided me with information on mid drives. I think a mid drive might be the way to go.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Tommy T

Hi Tommy:
I'm pretty sold on the mid-drive concept. This setup lets you keep the motor spinning in it's "happy range," rather than lugging it and making a lot of heat which needs to be dissipated.
My first eBike was a rear-hub-powered rig and it was so hopeless at climbing I never got the opportunity to have it pop the thermal cutout. As I've said here before, it wouldn't pull the skin off chocolate pudding.
My grades are nothing like yours; my longest climb is less than three-quarters of a mile, but I can tell you if I carried my spare battery this thing would claw its way up a 30-mile grade; no problem.
What kind of trike do you have? One of my high school buddies got a pair of Hase Kettweisels from Germany. He and his wife can connect them and he can pretend they have the tandem that he's always wanted. I think he's going to add the Panasonic STEPS eKettweisel package that they're offering as it can be retrofitted to his rig.
Where do you live where you have a 30-mile upgrade? My whole commute is only a shade over five miles.
Allen

Hi Tommy:
I'm pretty sold on the mid-drive concept. This setup lets you keep the motor spinning in it's "happy range," rather than lugging it and making a lot of heat which needs to be dissipated.
My first eBike was a rear-hub-powered rig and it was so hopeless at climbing I never got the opportunity to have it pop the thermal cutout. As I've said here before, it wouldn't pull the skin off chocolate pudding.
My grades are nothing like yours; my longest climb is less than three-quarters of a mile, but I can tell you if I carried my spare battery this thing would claw its way up a 30-mile grade; no problem.
What kind of trike do you have? One of my high school buddies got a pair of Hase Kettweisels from Germany. He and his wife can connect them and he can pretend they have the tandem that he's always wanted. I think he's going to add the Panasonic STEPS eKettweisel package that they're offering as it can be retrofitted to his rig.
Where do you live where you have a 30-mile upgrade? My whole commute is only a shade over five miles.
Allen

Allen,

Thanks for the info. The fact that your mid drive will claw its way up a steep grade is music to my ears. I want a bike that will do exactly that!

I have a TerraTrike Rambler. I had a rear gearless 1000 watt 29" wheel assy and two days ago I picked up the wheel from the bike shop as I had the hub motor laced to a 24" wheel. The smaller diameter wheel gave the bike more torque but lowered the top speed approx. 2.6 mph. My top speed is still over 23 mph.

I live in Bakersfield, California and the Sierra foothills are literally only 3 or four miles from my door. This trike is great around town and since I no longer drive due to neurological damage ebikes and etrikes have made my retirement years a joy.

I want a mid drive to go on a 25 day tour of the Sequoias in the Sierras but it may not happen as I need a riding partner and have not been able to find anyone that is interested in such an adventure.

I really like your bike. I am thinking you will get a lot of years of fun from it. I bet your ebike does claw its way up any steep trade. Wanna tour the Sierras, specifically the Sequoia National Park and forest?

What do you think? Will a 750 watt with me pedaling pull up the grades? The trike is a 24 speed but will only be an eight speed when the mid drive is installed. I can always change the freewheel to give me even more of an advantage.

Tomorrow I am going to try riding the road that goes up onto the sierras and see if the smaller diameter wheel made a difference.

Where do you live? Bakersfield is a dry area and I can ride most any day with warm clothing. The city of Bakersfield itself is ugly but get up into the mountains and it all changes.

Watch out for those nasty cars!

Hey Tommy, sup?

I live at the top of a big hill! Every night at the end of my 17 mile (one way) commute I go up a 700 hundred foot climb over 2.2 miles and all I have is a 500w gearless rear hub, I make it every time with power to spare. And, as you know I'm no spring chicken with about a pound of titanium in my spine. Just for a test I've gone on to another climb of 400ft making 1100ft climb in 3.4 miles and haven't had any problems. You shouldn't have ANY problems hitting those hills with either a 1000w hub or 750w BB drive as long as you put some human power into it. Wish I was close enough to do that ride with you... Good luck tomorrow!!!

Hey Tommy, sup?

I live at the top of a big hill! Every night at the end of my 17 mile (one way) commute I go up a 700 hundred foot climb over 2.2 miles and all I have is a 500w gearless rear hub, I make it every time with power to spare. And, as you know I'm no spring chicken with about a pound of titanium in my spine. Just for a test I've gone on to another climb of 400ft making 1100ft climb in 3.4 miles and haven't had any problems. You shouldn't have ANY problems hitting those hills with either a 1000w hub or 750w BB drive as long as you put some human power into it. Wish I was close enough to do that ride with you... Good luck tomorrow!!!

J.R.

I like your commute. The day my bike stopped running due to the thermal cut out it was about 95 degrees and I had gone about five miles up the steep road. I also had a trailer in tow. If I am going to go on tour I need the trailer for the camping gear and the 15 pound dog or trailer tomorrow. I want to make it over the pass this time. I pedal as hard as I can but I spent nine months in a wheel chair with both legs in casts from my crotch to my ankles. This was necessary due to my bike riding. I would pedal so hard up hill it tore tissue in both my knees. This limits how much pressure I can apply to the pedals.

Even if my hub drive does not make it over the pass tomorrow I am pretty sure a mid drive would take me over the top. I could leave the hub drive in place, add the mid drive and with me helping I bet it would make it.

Another way to make the tour happen is to have someone with a pick up take me, the trike, trailer and dog up to the park and drop me off for a month. Once you get onto the Generals Hwy in the park the elevation gain / loss is not so great. The Generals Hwy runs north and south thru the park and is a high elevation road. I am positive the set up I have now would handle that without a problem at all.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions, they are always welcome.

While writing this it keeps nagging me to just get a ride in a truck up to the parks northern entrance and then just ride home as it will be downhill!

Good day,

Tommy

Hey Tommy:
I so envy you. I live in the Northwest corner of Connecticut which is a sweet little paradise, but where you are is incredible.
It all makes me wish I was younger and stronger. It would be so nice to come out and tour with you man, but I fix Macs for a living and I'm the only one that really works hard at my shop.I describe myself as "old as dirt." (The young guys at my shop spend all their time figuring how to not do any work. Me…I like to work.)
I took four months off three years ago after an emotionally-draining divorce.(After eighteen years, my former wife threw me out like yesterday's mashed potatoes.) Oh well. At least my four kids didn't divorce me, eh?
I told my boss I either needed to quit or take a four-month sabbatical. He's such a mensch, he said, "so I'll see you on April Fools Day next year, right?"
So Callie (my pooch) and I headed out in a 22-year-old VW Westfalia camper. Four months and about 21,400 miles later I was back home. I spent quite a bit of time in Death Valley which really spoke to me. I also drove the Cali coast from Los Osos North to the Oregon border too. What a trip. I had already been in 60 National Parks but managed to hit another 30 or so on this trip.
Didn't get into your neck of the woods because—despite your drought—chain controls were posted every time I tried. I did however cross Donner Pass on the Interstate and on the old US Route. There was only about two feet of snowpack in the backcountry, where 20 or more would be more typical. As you well know, the other passes were all closed for the Winter.
Good luck putting your trip together man. I can tell yur gonna' make this happen. Wish I could be there with you. Make sure you post some pics so the rest of us can dream about your adventure even if we can't be there with you.
Best/Allen

Hey Tommy:
I so envy you. I live in the Northwest corner of Connecticut which is a sweet little paradise, but where you are is incredible.
It all makes me wish I was younger and stronger. It would be so nice to come out and tour with you man, but I fix Macs for a living and I'm the only one that really works hard at my shop.I describe myself as "old as dirt." (The young guys at my shop spend all their time figuring how to not do any work. Me…I like to work.)
I took four months off three years ago after an emotionally-draining divorce.(After eighteen years, my former wife threw me out like yesterday's mashed potatoes.) Oh well. At least my four kids didn't divorce me, eh?
I told my boss I either needed to quit or take a four-month sabbatical. He's such a mensch, he said, "so I'll see you on April Fools Day next year, right?"
So Callie (my pooch) and I headed out in a 22-year-old VW Westfalia camper. Four months and about 21,400 miles later I was back home. I spent quite a bit of time in Death Valley which really spoke to me. I also drove the Cali coast from Los Osos North to the Oregon border too. What a trip. I had already been in 60 National Parks but managed to hit another 30 or so on this trip.
Didn't get into your neck of the woods because—despite your drought—chain controls were posted every time I tried. I did however cross Donner Pass on the Interstate and on the old US Route. There was only about two feet of snowpack in the backcountry, where 20 or more would be more typical. As you well know, the other passes were all closed for the Winter.
Good luck putting your trip together man. I can tell yur gonna' make this happen. Wish I could be there with you. Make sure you post some pics so the rest of us can dream about your adventure even if we can't be there with you.
Best/Allen

Allen,

I am lucky in that I have spent the vast majority of my adult life living very close to the Sierras and the Cascades in Oregon and Washington. I was lucky to have ....oops gotta go. Will come back.

Hey Tommy:
Best/Allen

I am very lucky to have been close enough to the mountains that I have hiked two separate 100 mile backpack trips and have hiked and backpacked hundreds of additional miles. I do believe where you live is beautiful. I have never been there but have thought it would be a cool place to etrike. I know the mountains are older, smoother and shorter in your paradise but are just as beautiful.

Being married was too hard for me. I tried twice. I don't even care to date....unless I find some bike chick on the trail.

When I was 21 I purchased a totaled out Ford van and fixed it at the shop I worked in. I then went on a six month road trip. I am glad you got out on the road. I have worked in body shops or as an appraiser for insurance companies. The last 15 years of my career I was a specialist in heavy equipment damages. Most of my estimates were on damaged over the road trucks, logging trucks and dirt equipment like end dump trailers, transfer dumps, etc etc.

Death Valley is one of my favorite places on Earth. It has the lowest place in the USA and from that low spot you can look up and see the highest places in the lower states. Death Valley is the hottest place on Earth. Death Valley is not like the upper north east in any way.

Like you, I like to stay busy and bikes and trikes, powered or not keep me busy and I just enjoy riding....always have. They are perfect for a slightly brain damaged person that doesn't drive due to safety issues. I used to love to R&I engines and overhaul them. I found turning a wrench was just fun and gratifying. As my skills as a armature mechanic progress it was gratifying when an engine would start right up and idle nicely after the major overhaul. Now ebike wrenching is about all I do

Where is a good place to go etrike touring / camping in the northeast? Those beautiful fall states are known for their trees....I am sue you know that.

Will post after tomorrows 42 mile ride. I would say 10 miles of it is flat.

Good evening sir.

Tommy

Last edited:
Yippy ky yeah, I went on my ride and the bike handled the steep grades without any problems. The small 24" wheel made a huge difference. No flats or problems of any kind. I really enjoyed the ride and will be riding this route again. Pretty happy the trike ran flawlessly.

I was wrong, it was only 35.1 miles long. Average speed was 14.4 mph.

I was able to go 20 miles on the first battery and it was all uphill. I was constantly pedaling.

The photos I took are too large for this site to accept. I have changed the setting in my camera and have resolved the issue.

Last edited:
Back