Help with Allant +7 Accessories

glenward

Region
USA
Hi All,
My wife and I are new to the forum, having recently purchased the Allant +7. We are looking for some advice regarding these questions. Here they are:
1) what bike lock do you use? I ordered a U lock from Kryptonite but it is not wide enough to fit over the frame and back tire. I have a call into the company but they are not very timely in getting back to me with help. The issue with the chain style may be the weight. I am looking for something at the higher end of safe, but it does not have to be New York City safe.
2) The Trek dealer installed a MIK rear rack when we picked up the bikes. I am looking for both a rear trunk bag (for our day trips) and panniers (for our longer trips). However I am looking for something other than the Bontrager system. I would prefer a locking system for the convenience, but if the MIK rack cannot be modified, we will use a Velcro strap system. Any thoughts regarding these two accessories?
thanks for your help with this.
Glenward

B18F918C-3EB2-412A-A32A-1F262C778C6E.jpeg

The first picture is a Bontrager MIK bag. Expensive, about $100 but nice. The second is a cheaper bag off Amazon, maybe $30. The Bontrager is much nicer, bigger and is setup for the rack. Is it worth an extra $70? Up to you to decide. Most of the time the cheap one which is on my bike is good enough, it velcros on. Locks? I have cheap cable ones, probably easy to cut but I don’t need one very often, just a quick trip inside a store for example.

Enjoy the new bikes.
22B4D7DC-8E05-4D54-AE08-84F04506525A.jpeg

Dodgeman,
Thanks for your thoughts and pics. I may have to revisit the Bontrager bag for its ease but I did find it to be expensive. In doing my research, I came across nice, less expensive bags but they were secured with velcro. I’m interested to see if any of the members were able to modify the MIK rack for other systems or are using high quality velcro bags.

Retired NH,
I bought the Krytonite Evolution 13mm U lock. The ‘U’ section should be facing outward so that you can wrap it around a secured pole (or something else). When I measured the distance between the bike frame and the inside of the back wheel, it was app. 8”. If I am correct with that, it did not seem that any of the Kryptonite U locks would work. I am hesitant to use a highly secure chain because of the weight. I left a message with Kryptonite customer service but have not heard back from them (customer service???).

Dodgeman,
Thanks for your thoughts and pics. I may have to revisit the Bontrager bag for its ease but I did find it to be expensive. In doing my research, I came across nice, less expensive bags but they were secured with velcro. I’m interested to see if any of the members were able to modify the MIK rack for other systems or are using high quality velcro bags.

Retired NH,
I bought the Krytonite Evolution 13mm U lock. The ‘U’ section should be facing outward so that you can wrap it around a secured pole (or something else). When I measured the distance between the bike frame and the inside of the back wheel, it was app. 8”. If I am correct with that, it did not seem that any of the Kryptonite U locks would work. I am hesitant to use a highly secure chain because of the weight. I left a message with Kryptonite customer service but have not heard back from them (customer service???).
Thanks for your reply! Odd, isn't it, that Kryptonite hasn't recognized the needs of we ebike owners and produced a u lock with dimensions that work for us. I have an older model with a wonky key cylinder that I want to replace. The only time I've used it was in a low risk place where I wrapped a cable around the pole and just used the u lock around the wheel and frame. Hardly ideal...

@glenward congratulations on your new Allant 7. Don't have any lock ideas as we don't leave the bikes out of our sight. eBikes are high profile targets for theft, but totally understand your wanting some security.

For Allant 7 you have a nice alternative with the Racktime mount option. You simply need to buy the attachment that mounts to any bag you buy. The attachments for the bag are available on Amazon. Super stable, on or off in seconds. We use Jandd bags https://www.jandd.com/ as they've lasted for decades and work well but there's dozens of options. Do like @dodgeman MIK set-up but don't know if it will work with your Racktime rack which comes with your bike?

@dodgeman that's quite a hoist set-up for working on the bike. Clever!
image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg

Last edited:
I looked up the bag I bought, it was made by Roswheel. Looks like it costs $40. It has 2 Velcro strips that attach at the front of the rack and one on each side. It secures good but not quite as good as the MIK. It probably doesn’t go on and off as quick as an MIK bag but your talking a few seconds.

The hoist is setup just for bikes. My son got that for me and the work stand. I tried getting the bike on the stand without the hoist but it’s to awkward and heavy to do alone.

Dodgeman,
Thanks for the update on the bag.

Folmonty,
BTW, great name!! I’m still confused. I went to Rack time web site. Not the most user friendly. I did go on Amazon to look for the Racktime mount option. Could you let me know the name of the one you purchased (I assume it was not their Snap-it one)? Also, you just attached this mount option to the bottom of your Jandd bag and it fit well on your MIK rack. I realize the pic you sent me clearly shows it is a MIK rack. Thanks again for the help.

My wife and I both have the Bontrager MIK trunks with the drop-down panniers. We also use small luggage padlocks looped through the zipper pulls to lock the bags.

I also purchased an Anzome rear wire basket plus a male MIK adapter (from MIK) fastened to the bottom of the basket and swap between the two per what I need to carry. You could also mount an MIK adapter onto any other type of box, plastic milk crate, etc., you could use to carry stuff.

Per lock, we use Bontrager chain locks and a soiled Covid face mask draped on the handlebars.

Sparky731,
Thanks for your thoughts on the bag and locks. I’m looking at the Racktime mount adapter to see if it indeed will fit my rack. As I mentioned, I have not ruled out the Bontrager trunk but it seems as they have priced it at the high end of the bags I have been looking at.

i have not looked at their chain locks yet, but will do so. I particularly liked your idea of draping a used Covid mask on the bike - this should be the ultimate deterrent.

When I was looking at bags it seemed like if you bought a lower priced bag and an MIK plate for it you might as well just get the high priced bag to start with.

This is the way I lock up my Allant+ 8s. I use the Kryptonite New York u-lock to secure to the immovable object, with a Kryptonite cable going through the rear wheel and affixed to the u-lock to secure that; I use a medium weight Kryptonite chain lock to secure the front wheel, and actually run the cable lock through the chain lock as well so the bike is essentially secured to the immovable object twice. If someone cuts through a Kryptonite New York u- lock they could probably cut through the cable lock fairly easily but I figure the longer someone is trying to cut through locks the better off I am. I also have a small cable that is attached to my seat, runs through my rack and milk crate and gets attached to the u-lock securing all those components.

I also have Hexlox securing the front and rear wheels as well as some other components. They’re essentially tiny little magnets that sit inside the hex head that can only be removed with another specific tiny little magnet essentially making it impossible to stick an Allen key in to loosen the components.

I understand the concern about weight but I’d say that you have an e-bike and the extra few pounds of a heavy chain shouldn’t really make much of a difference.

As for bags, I use the milk crate system. Works well for me. And I can still attach a pannier as well if I need more room.

Attachments

• 326728AE-A6EA-4A58-9F29-F5484A6BE6FC.jpeg
    326728AE-A6EA-4A58-9F29-F5484A6BE6FC.jpeg
    684.2 KB · Views: 342
  • 66786BC4-13F9-4916-969A-36CB21F61850.jpeg
    66786BC4-13F9-4916-969A-36CB21F61850.jpeg
    459.1 KB · Views: 344
  • 46A4CF02-1B9F-43DE-898B-435E781B59FF.jpeg
    46A4CF02-1B9F-43DE-898B-435E781B59FF.jpeg
    412.9 KB · Views: 338
Hi vismund b,
Thanks for the pics. That’s quite a setup you have. I have to ask if you are in an area with a lot of bike thefts. I am looking for a more moderate level of security, as we will not be leaving our bikes unattended for along period of time, but I do appreciate the pics.

I will be looking into the Hexlox as I have not previously heard of it. Thanks.
Glenward

If you’re looking for something more moderate I’d suggest a u-lock with a cable. Kind of accomplishes the same thing as having the u-lock around the frame and rear wheel as you initially mentioned.

I live and work in New York City. My job can send me anywhere in the 5 boroughs. One day I’m in a “good” neighborhood without high bike theft and the next day I can be in a high theft neighborhood. But even in the “good” neighborhoods anything can happen. Sometimes I can bring the bicycle into the job site but many times they don’t allow it. So, for me doing all that gives me peace of mind that my ride will still be there when it’s been left outside and it’s time for me to go home.

I lock my bike more lightly here in a small CA town, bu also added a $20 Amazon alarm and FOB. I put the alarm in a saddle bag, and the FOB is like a car key, you arm it, and if anyone touches the bike it gives a buzz, further activity starts an alarm. It's not super loud but loud enough that if I am in a cafe just inside I would hear, as would the person disturbing your bike. This adds another layer of protection to the bike I think, and relatively inexpensive. It is USB charged, batteries last months.

I lock my bike more lightly here in a small CA town, bu also added a $20 Amazon alarm and FOB. I put the alarm in a saddle bag, and the FOB is like a car key, you arm it, and if anyone touches the bike it gives a buzz, further activity starts an alarm. It's not super loud but loud enough that if I am in a cafe just inside I would hear, as would the person disturbing your bike. This adds another layer of protection to the bike I think, and relatively inexpensive. It is USB charged, batteries last months.
Good idea! Can you post a link?

Vismund b,
Well that explains your elaborate setup to secure your bike. I’m sure it works very well. Fortunately we are not in a high theft area - Delaware eastern shore.

jsmirand,
great idea. I did not. Insider a low cost low weight alarm system. It just adds another layer of deterrence. Thanks.

update on my search for a non-Bontrager trunk bag. Folmonte had suggested a Jandd bag with a Racktime mount option. It was a great suggestion only I do not see how the Racktime mount will attach to my rack (see pics). My rack seems to be a narrow one, app 12in by 3.5in. The front crossbar has a rectangular metal piece extending down, not allowing any mount to slide in from the front to the back. I did find a Rockbros bag (about 9.5in wide) which I like. I can make it fit to the rack with the Velcro, but it is not ideal. I have found in my searching that customer service with the various companies overall has been terrible, which is why I am reaching out to the ebr forum for help. Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions.

Attachments

• 8745B79D-BEEC-4059-885D-75003F7A5ED5.jpeg
    8745B79D-BEEC-4059-885D-75003F7A5ED5.jpeg
    270.3 KB · Views: 228
  • F08A0814-F7A8-4A57-A4CF-07A553C7EC6C.jpeg
    F08A0814-F7A8-4A57-A4CF-07A553C7EC6C.jpeg
    428.7 KB · Views: 223
update on my search for a non-Bontrager trunk bag. Folmonte had suggested a Jandd bag with a Racktime mount option. It was a great suggestion only I do not see how the Racktime mount will attach to my rack (see pics). My rack seems to be a narrow one, app 12in by 3.5in. The front crossbar has a rectangular metal piece extending down, not allowing any mount to slide in from the front to the back. I did find a Rockbros bag (about 9.5in wide) which I like. I can make it fit to the rack with the Velcro, but it is not ideal. I have found in my searching that customer service with the various companies overall has been terrible, which is why I am reaching out to the ebr forum for help. Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions.
Your rear carrier looks to be an MIK carrier. Have you checked into getting just the male part of the MIK adapter? Available through MIK direct or dealers. It attaches to the underside of the bag. (Just like on the Bontrager bags.)

The adapter will fasten via screws through the inside bottom of the bag into the MIK adapter. This MIK adapter will then snap into your bike’s carrier. Very cool and very interchangeable.

I have done this with other adaptable carriers, e.g., a wire basket, a plastic bin (to hold casserole dishes, beverages, etc., when we go to block parties) a chair carrier, etc.

Back