Help! Researching 1st ebike, need recommendations.

Dog Treat Dude

61 YO male. 6’1” 207# Good shape. Not handy with bikes. Have not ridden since a teen. I THINK most riding will be urban with some trails. Want a mainstream brand for local service. Looking at Trek Verve+, Trek Dual Sport+, and Giant Explore E+ 3.
Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Looking at Trek Verve+, Trek Dual Sport+, and Giant Explore E+ 3.

Get the one you feel most comfortable on. As for service, most of an e-bike is just a bike, but the electric part could require special knowledge or diagnostic tools. I would ask potential shops if they have technicians who have had specific training from the manufacturer of the drive system in question, and if they have all the tools necessary to do the work.

65 year old here, rode bikes most of my life. Whatever you get, I recommend getting it from a Local bike shop. Preferably from an eBike shop, but regular bike store that also carries eBikes is good too. I dint know what brands your local shop has, but ride several. Get a feel for ebikes in general, then narrow it down to what works best for you.

Most shops will go down 5% or so off their asking price. Here in Texas I got my Doc to write a medical prescription and avoided sales tax as well.

Best time of the year to buy eBikes, or any bikes for that matter is November to February. Heavy discounts then, but no fun now. If you don't want to be a hobby bike mechanic, but local. On-line purchases leave it up to you how to handle warranty work and electronic troubleshooting. I've not ridden any of those bikes, can't help. I ride Haibikes. I have over 2,100 miles each, on two different 2016 bikes. Just love them!

There is a lot of options and it really depends on what you will be using it for, battery, speed, price...etc.
I would suggest visiting a couple of electric bike shops and test riding different types/brands.
From the e-bikes that you are looking at, I vote for the Trek Verve +

Hi
I have ridden the Giant Explore + 3. Very nice very stable bike. lots of torque. Giant has lots of support through local bike shops. Renting a bike and riding it for a few hours is always good.

61 YO male. 6’1” 207# Good shape. Not handy with bikes. Have not ridden since a teen. I THINK most riding will be urban with some trails. Want a mainstream brand for local service. Looking at Trek Verve+, Trek Dual Sport+, and Giant Explore E+ 3.

I'm 64 YO male, 6'0" ~ 235 looking for my first commuter / weekend touring e-bike. My approach is to test drive mid-drive systems from Bosch, Brose, & Yamaha. I've tested the Bosch and Brose so far. I may also test drive a rear drive on the Stromer ST1 Platinum. Once I settle on the drive system I will then pick the e-bike brand that can provide that drive system. Local service is a weighted factor in my final consideration.

This is my approach which may not be the best approach for you based upon how you make your purchasing decisions. Have fun though!

@p0ppyman, that's the approach I used too. I tried a mid drive with the Trek Super Commuter and then rear drive Cafe from Vintage Electric Bikes and a Stromer ST1. Based on how I intend to use it, urban riding in Los Angeles, I felt more comfortable with a rear drive. I'm waiting until the end of the year, because as previously posted, there are better deals between those months. I'm excited and am looking forward to the new Stromers that will be offered in 2019.

Pretty exciting times..looking for your first e-bike. I just went through it. There are a lot of folks on this forum that offer good advise.

1) As most will suggest, if you can locally, view as many e-bikeas you can. For a lot of us, thats not all that easy.

2) Read a ton of reviews.

3) Your desire to by local is wise if you can get the model you want. Local service is a plus. I didn't buy local but the manufacture I purchased from has a relationship with Velofix (mobile bike shop), so I'm comfortable with that.

4) I see two main options in a lot of styles, peddle assist or peddle assist with throttle. For me a throttle is a plus and I'm glad I went that route. The short period of time I've been riding I have found it extremely useful for starting on inclines, trails, gravel and loose dirt. Also, just using the throttle is a "kick in the pants".

5) Riding position especially important as we turn that "60's' corner is pretty important. Bent forward to much is an issue for most (including me).

6) A good battery is extremely important. Most 2018 models boast the larger and newer batteries.

7) Little things like a great battery mounting system with a great connector are important. I have heard about issues about batteries a little loose on the frame and causing issue with the connector.

8) Front sprocket guide/guard is a great thing to have. Eliminates chain jump and messing up pants.

Have fun on your search!

I'm 59 with a bad wrist which meant I wanted to sit more upright. I would second the thought of checking out the Magnum brand. I have not regrets with the Magnum Metro + I bought. And don't discount the Magnum Cruiser. It looks unwieldy but my wife got one and I love to take that out on occasion through neighborhoods, parks and along bike trails.

I've own two Trek eBikes for a year. Treks provides great support / service through my LBS. There was a chain guard mod that needed to be done on my XM700+. My LBS with quick support from Trek took care of the modification very promptly . When my initially bike arrived the Bosch handlebar control had been damaged in transit. The part was out of stock and backordered. Rather then have me wait until the controller was back in stock, Trek immediately sent another bike from Wisconsin to CT and I was riding in 4 days. : )

John from CT

Back