Help please, my brain is on overload

Muckey

Region
USA
I’m 5’5” or 5’6” I’ve been looking for a step through ebike, there are only 3 bike shops in town, however I could drive a hour to more. I tried a trek and loved it, however out of price range. Other store has Aventon E bike, they weigh to much for me to left into truck 72 lbs.
the Aventon shop will work on other ebikes. Trek will not
I’m looking for step through
light weight must
size med
not sure about Bofank motor?
suspension in the front fork or seat, don’t care as long as their suspension
will ride hills, not Mountains, town, camping so pact dirt.
having a hard time with bikes saying Hybrid they aren’t doing that anymore that I can see.
please help with suggestions for a step through $2000 or less for my first E bike class 2

Blix Aveny weighs 54 lb was $1600 when reviewed but lacks suspension. 17.5" frame. https://electricbikereview.com/blix/aveny/
Biktrix stunner x was $1999 had suspension, fat tires, weighed 71 lb but the 9.5 lb battery is removeable. 16.5" frame https://electricbikereview.com/biktrix/stunner-lt/
Biktrix stunner was $2199, had suspension, weighed 62 lb, but came in 19" frame which is probably too big for you. https://electricbikereview.com/biktrix/stunner/
Surface 604 colt had suspension, weighed 58 lb, was $1999, came in a small 17.5" frame as well as a larger one. https://electricbikereview.com/surface-604/colt/
Surface 604 shred had suspension, sprung seat post, weighed 62 lb with rack & larger battery, came in a 17.5" frame. Had 9 speed sprocket cluster instead of 7. Cost $2090 in 2019 https://electricbikereview.com/surface-604/shred/
None of those brands has a known problems list longer than 2 pages. Aventon has 6 pages. Small market share may be the reason, but read the posts on the brand forum known problems thread for more details.
My first geared hub motor lasted ~4500 miles due to the plastic gear. 2 1/2 years. It was an ebikeling, a real low end product. Cost $221 with wheel, controller, throttle, PAS pickup, brake handles. I wouldn't worry about the motor brand, a geared hub motor is easily changed out with another brand as long as the connector matches up. I would focus most on ride position and frame size fitting you. I ride cable pull disk brakes, the cheap tektro ones, and really like them. Changing front pad @ 5000 miles took about 30 minutes, an allen wrench and plier. Read some horror stories about hydraulic brake maintenance on the maintenance thread. Note cheap air suspensions are short life products. I don't have one, I ride a hard suspension cargo bike.
Trek for their price produces a product that has one of the shortest lists of known problems. Their market share is huge.
I see in your other thread you are in North Idaho. None of these geared hub motor bikes will climb 1000' in an hour. They will overheat & burn the winding. I climb >80 hills in 3.5 hours on my geared hub motor bike, but my total rise is ~200'. Three hills are 15%, and I carry 60 lb supplies up them, but only 100' long. If you are not climbing mountains with the bike you shouldn't need the expense of a mid drive. If you are, plan on another $500 for mid drive plus chain replacement every 2000 to 500 miles. 9 speed up chains require more frequent replacement. I get 5000 miles out of my 8 speed chain with a hub drive.

Last edited:
Won't comment on the bikes but a ramp will get the bike in your truck especially if it has walk mode.

Have you considered a bike from ZEN?

I’m 5’5” or 5’6” I’ve been looking for a step through ebike, there are only 3 bike shops in town, however I could drive a hour to more. I tried a trek and loved it, however out of price range. Other store has Aventon E bike, they weigh to much for me to left into truck 72 lbs.
light weight must
size med
having a hard time with bikes saying Hybrid they aren’t doing that anymore that I can see.
please help with suggestions for a step through $2000 or less for my first E bike class 2
You mentioned three LBS in town. Did you have a chance to ride any ebikes at any of them? It is very hard to get a feel for what you want until you ride a couple of ebikes.

You mentioned three LBS in town. Did you have a chance to ride any ebikes at any of them? It is very hard to get a feel for what you want until you ride a couple of ebikes.
Yes I rode the trek and Aventon from our bike shops in town

Very good. The Treks are everywhere so you can compare to others, and lots of members here have Treks. Trek dealers often carry Electra Townie Go electric bikes, too. Which model did you ride and how did it go for you?

light weight must
size med
dont worry about Bafang motors they are fantastic motors but at under 2000 you dont see many bafang motors aside from Rad?
Maybe check out something like the Ariel Rider Rideal, it weighs 52lbs,has a fantastic Dapu motor! and cost $999! the only downside is 20mph top speed.
1621139772192.png

Last edited:
light weight must
size med
Lectric eBikes 'XP' Step-Thru. Review here. You had mentioned camping, as this model has 20x4 tires (23.25 overall tire height @30psi), I would think it would be perfect. Also, with an 800w motor & throttle, his are no issue. It's cumbersome @63ibs, get a friend to help w/loading! BTW, the just announced model 2.0 has the suspension you'd said was a must.

Back