Help me select a bike please

kb2rocket

Region
USA
I would like a mountain bike Style ebike to put on the back of my Jeep and go out into the desert and explore I want something that's sturdy and able to take bumps but most importantly if something happens to my Jeep out there I would like to be able to ride my e-bike 20 mi back to the nearest town should I just get a regular mountain bike and two batteries there's so many options what do you think?

Welcome aboard!

You didn't give us much to go on. Max price? Max lifting weight you can handle? How much pedaling work are you willing to do? Will it be used for anything else? Have any ebikes caught your eye?

There is a huge amount of choice for electric mountain bikes that have over 20 miles range.
In addition to the information suggested above, a key factor is local support from a store, so I would start by checking what brands are represented in the closest electric bike stores in your area.
Then we can give you feedback on these specific models.

I would like a mountain bike Style ebike to put on the back of my Jeep and go out into the desert and explore I want something that's sturdy and able to take bumps but most importantly if something happens to my Jeep out there I would like to be able to ride my e-bike 20 mi back to the nearest town should I just get a regular mountain bike and two batteries there's so many options what do you think?
I've been very happy with my Rad Rover although they did make a few changes since I bought it. Hopefully for the better. It's got a little over 4500 miles on it with no problems other than routine things like chains (replaced once), tires (replaced once) and brakes which I switched to mechanically operated hydraulic. That was a big brake improvement and I think the new ones have hydraulic brakes standard. Good luck.

The biggest issue with an e-MTB and two batteries is that full-suspension electric mountain bikes are not really made for a rear rack (which could be found and fit for a pannier anyway). Yes, you can get a regular full suspension e-MTB. Your budget?

I stated that I needed to get back to the closest town which is 20 mi away but I guess I failed to mention that I will be using the bike to explore the desert while I'm there so I'm going to need more than a 20 mile range I am hoping to find something that I can use kind of like a Pack mule maybe a hunting bike would be best but I still need one with long range capabilities

I stated that I needed to get back to the closest town which is 20 mi away but I guess I failed to mention that I will be using the bike to explore the desert while I'm there so I'm going to need more than a 20 mile range I am hoping to find something that I can use kind of like a Pack mule maybe a hunting bike would be best but I still need one with long range capabilities
Big issue you haven't answered is your price point. We can suggest a lot of things out side of your budget. It really does matter.

I have two fat tire 2016 Radrovers with over 3700 miles on each of them. I'm still able to ride around 22-26 miles on my original 11.6 Ah batteries depending on PAS level 2 at 12-16 mph on paved level ground with pedaling power. I live in the desert southwest and do a good mix of paved, 6000-7000 feet foothills riding, and single track riding near the Rio Grande river. What saved me many times is having a rear bike rack with fold out panniers (Topeak MTX trunk bag DXP). I'm able to carry everything I need from tools, portable air pump, spare tube, water, wet or cold weather gear, spare battery, flashlight, work commuting stuff, etc... depending on the ride.

Once you figure out your price range, I would look at the type of ebikes in that range and the mix of riding you are currently doing (and future rides). I would also look at battery sizes and go for the largest or think about purchasing a back-up battery if you think you need 2X the range to CYA. Some folks hate throttles; but, I love them. I've had a few "mishaps" when trail riding like broke my handlebar stem on a wipeout, lost a pedal crank, or injured my leg. Having a throttle saved my from having to push the ebike 5-7 miles because I couldn't pedal.

I wouldn't rule out folding ebikes with plus size or fat tires. You can have very similar off road capabilities and range. You can use a rear hitch rack or toss in the rear hatch at the end of the day and you will have easy storage at home. My two fat tire ebikes take up A LOT of real estate and very hard to transport, need certain rack features/upgrades, and need space to store at home.

A Rad is not a mountain bike. Can't do mountains. A $200 1998 Gary Fisher is a non-electric bike that can do mountains. That would be preferable over a Rad for this application. A QuietKat came in yesterday. Can't do mountains. The guy's kid killed it on a climb. It is a heavy, clunky, hub-drive that is not locally supported and can be ghost pedaled. No feel. HEAVY.

A Rad is not a mountain bike. Can't do mountains. A $200 1998 Gary Fisher is a non-electric bike that can do mountains. That would be preferable over a Rad for this application. A QuietKat came in yesterday. Can't do mountains. The guy's kid killed it on a climb. It is a heavy, clunky, hub-drive that is not locally supported and can be ghost pedaled. No feel. HEAVY.
What? That must be an old QuietKat. You have not described the Jeep QuietKat at all. It's a Mid Drive Ultra. Nothing like you describe.

Back