Help me make an informed e-bike decision, please.

AdilDesai

I've ditched the car and am now deep into research on a midtail cargo e-bike. I was down to two choices (Riese & Muller Multicharger and Yuba electric Boda Boda). I'm having a difficult time swallowing the price tag for the R&M, so am now leaning heavily towards the Boda Boda.

Some questions:
  1. Has anyone modified the Boda Boda to accept a Gates Carbon Drive?
  2. Has anyone modified the Boda Boda to include a Rohloff internally geared hub?
  3. Can someone help compare/contrast a Bosch drive with a Shimano drive?

I think that's it for now. If these modifications can take place (and actually make sense), then the Boda Boda is still less expensive than the R&M and becomes a far more appealing option for me.

Thoughts? And thank you in advance.

I believe Court’s review of the previous model Yuba el Boda Boda mentioned it uses an aluminum frame so it cannot be safely cut and shut to provide the frame break needed for belt drive. Look at the Tern GSD S00 or HSD S8i models with the Enviolo CVP, the smaller wheels lower the Tern’s center of gravity vs the Yuba Boda which is desirable when carrying passengers. Or if you prefer the Rohloff, consider converting the Surly big dummy with a mid-drive kit motor and a chain idler kit from terra cycle in place of a chain tensioner like this https://www.cyclemonkey.com/blog/rohloff-equipped-surly-big-dummy-cargo-bike

As for Bosch v Steps, there are some older comparison articles out there eg https://www.bikeexchange.com/blog/shimano-steps-e6000-bosch-active-e-bike-systems-compared and Court posted a mid-drive comparison a few years ago https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/electric-bike-mid-drive-motor-comparison.22764/ and a video comparison of the newer generation Bosch motors
I gather from reading this forum that when both systems were updated in 2018/19 Bosch removed the reduction gearing from the Active Line to make them quieter and went back to using a normal chainring, while Shimano incorporated some features from the E8000 emtb motor into the E6100 motor to reduce overheating and increase torque. Both are now smaller, lighter, better, systems for the changes. The biggest difference I can think is Bosch have shift detection but Steps E6100 may not.

A thread by someone troubleshooting an error on a Steps E6000 https://electricbikereview.com/foru...0-w012-torque-error-fix-keep-or-return.29480/ showed how dealers plug a diagnostic cable into Shimano motors the same as Yamaha/Giant SyncDrive, and Bosch dealers can facilitate remote diagnostics. So either system has that extra level of support which is nice because it takes a lot of the technical side off the bike shop while the customer still receives high level technical diagnostic support from the motor manufacturer.

Last edited:
To modify a frame to accept a belt drive, you need some way to take a section out of the frame so the belt can be installed, then the section has to bolt back in with the same strength as if it was a single tube. NOT easy! Pretty sure it takes months to get a R&M, and that was before the virus.

I'm using a bodaboda to haul all my groceries & supplies. Sometimes 80 lb at a time, I weigh 160-170.
As I ride self-powered most of the time, I viewed the Bosch drive of 2017 as a positive liability. A boat anchor. I put a 1200 w 48 v front geared hub drive on my unpowered bike, which has been serving me two years. I really like it. I have had to tighten the motor covers twice in 4000 miles.
I installed a IGH on my previous bike, a Pacific MTB, and found it slowed me down about 15% compared to a 7 speed derailleur. A Sturmey Archer S80. The rohloff has even more gearsets whirring around all the time than the S80. The shift pawl selects the proper gearset, but all the other ones are spinning all the time. Which causes drag, IMHO.
Shimano mid drive does not drag when unpowered, should your biking adventures increase your strength and wind as mine have. The motor is for days when the wind is >12 mph in my face, which can increase my commute from 3.5 hours to 6 hours. I don't need 6 hours of exercise. 3.5 hours exercise twice a week has helped me drop 55 lb and 20 bpm off my resting heart rate. Also cloresterol down 50 points.
The shimano 9 speed rear on the 2020 electric bodaboda should offer about twice the chain wear of the 11 speed of the poster who found he was getting 500 miles on his electric MTB. Since the motor doesn't go through my chain, and it is 8 speed rear 3 speed front, I've got no chain wear on my bodaboda at 5000 miles. I find the SRAM shifters on the 2017 bodaboda delightfully precise, needing only one shift stop screw adjustment in the 5000 miles. The Shimano 9 speed yuba uses now on electric bodaboda should be a more precise product than the 7 speed kiddie quality shimano shifter rad uses on radwagon. I had the shimano 7 speed on the Pacific MTB, required fiddling with it 2 or 3 times a year.
BTW the quality of the bodaboda was delivered was superb. The shift and brake adjustments were correct out of the box. The finish was perfect. The 2nd box they put over the first box may help prevent shipping damage. Oh, BTW, I've never had to adjust the spokes on the bodaboda as rad suggested doing every month on the radwagon.
Downsides? I didn't like the bodaboda seat, I'm male. I put on one wider, with spring suspension. The seatpost and stem are non-standard diameter so you can't replace them with suspension seats, or different handlebars, for example. I replaced the easy-steal seat adjuster and front axle quill immediately, before I rode the bike. Even before I put the electric power wheel on it.
BTW, since I don't have to load squirmy children, there is no way I would consider a bike with 20" wheels. Our roads are full of potholes, slots where the berm doesn't meet the main lane anymore, gas valve holes where someone has stolen the covers. You haven't lived until you hit a pothole on 20" tires at 30 mph ( which I hit downhill sometimes). I find 26" x 2" tires entirely adequate. I ride Kenda knobbies, they don't get flats until the knobs are worn down to <3/32".
Have fun shopping, and later riding.

Last edited:
Oh! hey guys.. sure,happy to help. Yes we are a little premium but i have a model i am working on.

I can work on making this a little more price effective if you need it OP.

Thanks

Oh! hey guys.. sure,happy to help. Yes we are a little premium but i have a model i am working on.

I can work on making this a little more price effective if you need it OP.

Thanks
Was just on your website. I'll reach out tomorrow via your website contact page. I'm genuinely interested in creating something from scratch that checks all the boxes.

Pushcar will design you a TITANIUM cargo bike 😁

I'm a bit surprised that WattWagons does not offer cargo bikes.. with Tern, RadWagon, and similar ebikes out there, there definitely is a market for cargo bikes.

Great idea! Pushkar has already discussed this model... take a look at this thread:

1584731960532.png

Man. That is quite close to what I’m building right now. Some changes to that structure but very very close.

Back