Help Me Choose A Fat Tire Ebike - RadRover / Yukon / M2S / Hype / ETC

RadRover / Yukon / M2S / Hype

• Total voters
It wasn't until I read all of this, that I realized how much the throttle option means to me for the purchase. My only reason for even looking at ebikes is my daily commute to work, and point blank, there are days I'm tired and don't want to pedal. Throttle of at least 18-20mph is a requirement for my pick.

Keeping everything else people have said in mind, I'd love to get a HF1000 (With upgrades there's front fork suspension, hydraulic breaks, torque sensor, huge battery (21ah), the ability to go road legal at 20mph or jack that up to 30). I still don't love the idea of waiting 2 months to get the bike though, and even then, as stated, I'd like to see reviews of how it's worked for people.

With this mindset, I looked back at the other bikes that had interested me. RadRover is slowly moving down the list. I could get a bigger battery that would increase amp hours, but that's an additional $500-600 cost, and it lacks nice hydraulic breaks.

This brings me back to the M2S All Terrain R750 and Teo S Limited, giving the suspension, 17ah battery, hydraulic brakes, street legal 20 and off road modes. Like the HF, these two give me almost all the options I want, except that none of these offer a torque sensor. Are there options, such as the rear dropout torque sensor offered by Juiced Bikes available that work with something like a Rad Rover, R750, or Teo? Am I locked out of being able to use a torque sensor getting one of these? Are there any similar bikes (even expanding the budget to around $3k) that offer these options, but are available now instead of having to wait another 1-3 months? I would also look at mid-drive or BBSHD options, but most I had seen are Class 1 and don't offer throttle.

I know this is over your current budget but if you are going to spend a significant amount of time on the trails, the Specialized Turbo Levo Comp Fat is pretty nice. You'd have to figure out racks and fenders for the street though, this is pretty hard to beat on the trail.

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 6.33.15 PM.png

@Riogrand He just posted throttle is not optional.

It wasn't until I read all of this, that I realized how much the throttle option means to me for the purchase. My only reason for even looking at ebikes is my daily commute to work, and point blank, there are days I'm tired and don't want to pedal. Throttle of at least 18-20mph is a requirement for my pick.

Keeping everything else people have said in mind, I'd love to get a HF1000 (With upgrades there's front fork suspension, hydraulic breaks, torque sensor, huge battery (21ah), the ability to go road legal at 20mph or jack that up to 30). I still don't love the idea of waiting 2 months to get the bike though, and even then, as stated, I'd like to see reviews of how it's worked for people.

With this mindset, I looked back at the other bikes that had interested me. RadRover is slowly moving down the list. I could get a bigger battery that would increase amp hours, but that's an additional $500-600 cost, and it lacks nice hydraulic breaks.

This brings me back to the M2S All Terrain R750 and Teo S Limited, giving the suspension, 17ah battery, hydraulic brakes, street legal 20 and off road modes. Like the HF, these two give me almost all the options I want, except that none of these offer a torque sensor. Are there options, such as the rear dropout torque sensor offered by Juiced Bikes available that work with something like a Rad Rover, R750, or Teo? Am I locked out of being able to use a torque sensor getting one of these? Are there any similar bikes (even expanding the budget to around $3k) that offer these options, but are available now instead of having to wait another 1-3 months? I would also look at mid-drive or BBSHD options, but most I had seen are Class 1 and don't offer throttle.

Tho, you probably knew this, class 1 & 2 are the only legal ebikes in Minnesota. I ride a class 3, but if ever in an accident on a street/trail, just let it be known you are riding a vehicle that is not legally a bicycle and cannot legally be registered as a motor vehicle (no VIN).

The M2s, Teo, VoltBike, among others are basically all the same family of bikes with slightly different kit/accessories. They are splattered all over Alibaba. The biggest difference will be the level of support you get from the distributor. How long has the company been around? Do they stock extra parts or will you be waiting for them to be shipped from china to the distributor and then to you? Do they offer phone support? Check user forums. Are they responsive to support requests? Even $9,000 Stromer ST2s break down. So the biggest question to ask is what will you do when yours does?

Have you checked out the BBSHD options from Lunacycle? https://lunacycle.com/e-bikes/ Biggest downside is you have to pay extra for a replacement parts warranty and it is up to you to do the work. If it is the motor, are you willing to disassemble and replace parts in the motor or remove/replace it all together? Also, with most any BBSHD option, the bicycles were not specifically designed to be eBikes—just regular bikes converted. If you go the BBSHD route, my recommendation is to build the bike yourself. That way you know how it is put together, will have the necessary tools and will be far better prepared to support and repair the bike yourself.

Per your desires, my recommendation would still be the HyperFat. Waiting for something that will make you happy instead of settling for something right now is the common sense choice when it comes to parting with thousands of dollars.

Damn @James Kohls , being all reasonable and s*it, lol. I saw earlier that you're a Minnesota rider as well. This is a bit off-topic, but I was under the impression a Class 3 ebike would still be legal (no license / VIN required) as long as the motor is 1000W or less and had a top speed of 20. I was just assuming I'm riding in a gray area by getting a Class 3 capable of speeds above 20, but limiting that speed to 20 using the controller. I know the Rad and Volt are Class 2, and I'm assuming Teo is also a Class 2, but this system is still somewhat new to me as well.

Thanks as well for reconfirming your opinion that the HyperFat is worth the wait though. As I've continued to look at close to 50 or more eBikes, I keep coming back to these select few, and yeah, because of my desire for a full throttle option, it seems to limit which kind I'm looking at. I am finding myself looking more and more at the Luna 4 Season series (500, 1000, and 3000), but when you add in the warranty, the prices just look wild, and the 500 zip ties holding everything on kinda look like s*it (think I could get over that, lol).

Again, the Hype keeps sounding like the one to wait for. Although Rad was originally my first choice, I'm really having to think long and hard before their bikes are back in stock next week, as I'm starting to realize that for about the same cost, I'm really giving up a lot of awesome options just to be able to get the bike sooner.

Damn @James Kohls , being all reasonable and s*it, lol. I saw earlier that you're a Minnesota rider as well. This is a bit off-topic, but I was under the impression a Class 3 ebike would still be legal (no license / VIN required) as long as the motor is 1000W or less and had a top speed of 20. I was just assuming I'm riding in a gray area by getting a Class 3 capable of speeds above 20, but limiting that speed to 20 using the controller. I know the Rad and Volt are Class 2, and I'm assuming Teo is also a Class 2, but this system is still somewhat new to me as well.

Here is Minnesota law:

Subd. 27.Electric-assisted bicycle.
(3) has an electric motor that (i) has a power output of not more than 1,000 watts, (ii) is incapable of propelling the vehicle at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour, (iii) is incapable of further increasing the speed of the device when human power alone is used to propel the vehicle at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour, and (iv) disengages or ceases to function when the vehicle's brakes are applied.

So if you limited it to 20MPH, it would be legal under MN law.

Provided the HyperFat lives up to its....wait for it....hype, I think it will be well worth your wait. I really think Juiced is one of the better budget providers out there. That said, I think Rad Power has show users on this forum an admirable level of support as well.

- Cons:
  1. 1 year warranty
  2. Non-Integrated
Very old thread - since the OP wanted a solution within a week or so.
Just to note that for a budget consumer a generic non-integrated battery would be a Pro, not a Con. Cheaper and more easily available replacement options.
Battery is often the first item to go.

@ZeroPointM I pulled the trigger on the Rad Rover and couldn't be happier. Since June of 2017 I've gone between 1-2k miles on it. This includes paved roads, bike paths, single track trails, mountain bike trails, the mass snow we've gotten twice this winter, and straight through the woods off-road. Bike handles anything I've thrown at it and still performs a swift comfortable ride to work (it's cut my commute time in half). I am still looking at every electric bike on the market, but that's because I'm an avid biker. If you're not going on trails, woods, or snow though, you might also like the RadCity, but I've not really compared skinny tire ebike pricing.

Note: If you're trying to push the speed higher, you may not be as happy. The stock controller on the Rad can be set to 40kph so I end up going about 24mph at full speed; however, I've been stopped by cops 4 times since I've gotten the bike (2 of em just really wanted to know about the bike lol). Keep a link to the Minnesota ebike laws handy on your phone.

@Alex M When I was originally looking, I thought having integrated cables made the bike look cleaner so I was referencing the cabling; however, I've come to learn that having integrated cables could be horrible if I ever need to rewire this thing. Really happy with the battery on the Rad though. Replacement batteries are abundant and I could opt to throw a slightly better 52v battery on it, which could increase speed.

HF1000 owner chiming in here. I think if I were starting out with a first ebike, I actually wouldn't recommend the HyperFat. The reason being is that the controller, at least on my unit can be described as "quirky". A few other owners have reported this, but he controller sometimes has a difficult time starting from stand still. When starting out, you'll get a weird hiccuping or bogging down sensation. The bike has a ton of power, but it's clear that the bike is a bit of development platform, much like a skunks works project. I think the controller issues that I'm seeing are from Juiced Bike trying to integrate their torque sensor with the MAC motor. I'm happy with what I purchased, but this bike might be difficult for a novice to deal with.

As far as other bikes on your list, I'd look at the M2S as it has hydraulic disc brakes. I don't think I would recommend any ebike without them. Any ebike will always be going faster than an manual bike, stopping power is very important. With disc rotor sizes, you can always find the right adapters to increase the rotor on the front if there's enough clearance.

Also, the suspension forks that most manufacturers put on these bikes is average at best. My HyperFat came with a Mozo FatMan unit, which became really unresponsive after a bout 200 miles. It was difficult to tune as the air valves were not quite to specification. I ended up removing the fork and upgrading it to a RockShox unit with new thru axle wheel.

The last thing to consider is how well the manufacturer supports the bike. There's constant debate about buying via LBS or a purely online vendor. If the bike is a online sales only, it'll be good to research how responsive they are and how well they stock replacement parts. Rad Rover seems to have a good reputation. I believe Juiced Bikes support is improving, but they do sometime languish on responsiveness. For example a common warranty replacement item like my battery mounting bracket was sent out quickly, but they're still trying to sort out my fork issue and controller issue. It usually takes about 2-3 replies to a support ticket before they respond again.

Good luck with your purchase!

@hurricane56 That's a pretty well thought out an in-depth review I've already been noticing as well (<3 Skunkworks). I did get the RadRover and am really happy with it, but there are pains. Luckily, Rad Power Bikes customer service is amazeballs!! As mentioned, with the new Summer approaching, I'm thinking of upgrading to hydraulic brakes. Trying to decide between cable actuated hydraulic or a full replacement of the cables as well. I'm also having issues with the front shocks after having ridden it all winter (between the 1k mile mark and 2k miles I've now put on it).

I did get the dreaded "Error 30 Maintain" error from the controller, but after disconnecting and reconnecting the 4 main cables, the issue seemed to clear itself up. It's also strange they have some of the cables coming out of the downtube, at the exact height of the suspension fork. If you wipe out and the front tire spins, you could literally rip the cable right in half because the suspension fork WILL definitely hit it. I've added an extra layer of padding to that cable. Beyond those two issues though, I've been super happy with my bike.

I've found that I'm recommending Sonders to people as a cheap entry level ebike now, but still supporting the choice to get a Rad Power Bikes ebike if you know you'll want a good one. Also still looking at some of the more expensive ebikes (usually off-road only), but my experience with the Rad Rover has only increased how much I'm enjoying bike rides. May actually opt for my motorcycle license at this point, lol.

So i have looked into fat bikes as well for commuting for a few reasons and have two questions as im following this...
One is , how much does the "rolling resistance" of a fat tire affect speed, and daily street driving?
Ive heard different camps one saying only "chumps" drive fat tire bikes on the road and one saying its fun as heck and who cares if its the most "aerodynamic" its an ebike. So im torn about using one as a daily commuter but our roads here in fla are terrible. We dont get snow but we do have sand and the heat and salt keep everything here town up....roads are severly shredded and i take a beating on my tubeless non pneumatic escooter tires now plus they ram into everything so...i dont want a commuter with a rough ride... and i can use it off road on the beach . is a fat tire doable daily and how much does it slow you down?
The other thing is, my exp with erides has been (my kids have had 4 razors ....2 stand up electrics, 2 pocket mods, now the glion) over time they lose the umph. Whether its battery or what they just dont go as fast and as far after a year. This is why ive been looking into bikes like the r750 and other higher speed bikes because i know in a year 30mph is really gonna be more like 25 thw first 5 miles then 23 for 5 miles then 22 and so on. My glion after 6 months with a 16mph max will do 15 for about half a mile and it lags now going up a hill when it didnt used to phaze it at all.....etc. I know this tech will ve better but in other words im trying to overbuy to allow for that degeneration. It may not be sidewalk legal , but i dont do 25 nor would i want to on any sidewalk here ever. But in a bike lane 28 is legal here so i doubt theyre gonna be clocking bicycles for awhile most people here where i am have still never seen an ebike . So the second question would be is this sound theory as far as peoples exp with their ebike over time....that speed and distance start to fall off?
Basically i dont want to buy a 20 mph max ebike and in 6 months be driving 15mph again 😵
Outside those 2 questions i love the hyperfat but am afraid of juiced and what seems from reviews to be hit or miss quality and no lbs service...being down long periods for parts and help....
Idc if its a rebranded china bike they all are basically anyway as long as the components are good. I really like the m2s r750 specs. No way would i waste money with a rover by the time u got it up to spec ud be double money .

One more vote for Juiced. I bought the Ripcurrent non-S version because of my financial constraints. Still, it has been a great bike and Juiced service has been fantastic. My bike developed a noise in the motor hub and they replaced it by using a third party service that sent a mechanic to my house to service the bike - awesome! As for the bike, I love it. I love the power, the handling, etc. As soon as I can afford it, I am going to upgrade to the hyper fast. Word of advice, wait for a holiday and keep an eye on Juiced website, they run sales frequently.

Right now they are developing the Scorping that looks great and cost $1500. see Juiced Bikes website.

Last edited:
Th
One more vote for Juiced. I bought the Ripcurrent non-S version because of my financial constraints. Still, it has been a great bike and Juiced service has been fantastic. My bike developed a noise in the motor hub and they replaced it by using a third party service that sent a mechanic to my house to service the bike - awesome! As for the bike, I love it. I love the power, the handling, etc. As soon as I can afford it, I am going to upgrade to the hyper fast. Word of advice, wait for a holiday and keep an eye on Juiced website, they run sales frequently.

Right now they are developing the Scorping that looks great and cost $1500. see Juiced Bikes website.
Thats awesomr news i may have to revisit the rip current as i kind of strayed away from juiced in my quest. They've been on my list always but just been waiting for them to level out their service issues so if thats the case i may be in. I like yhe owner he seems yo be highly involved i just wish these owner/designer/whatevers understood that you can design the greatest bike on the markey but if i cant get parts or service or calls answered all that hard work will be for nothing bc u will lose traction...no pun intended....as a serious contender imo. Def love juiced vives tho. I think it may be between them and the m2s just a matter of who is easier to work on and who has better service.

Th

Thats awesomr news i may have to revisit the rip current as i kind of strayed away from juiced in my quest. They've been on my list always but just been waiting for them to level out their service issues so if thats the case i may be in. I like yhe owner he seems yo be highly involved i just wish these owner/designer/whatevers understood that you can design the greatest bike on the markey but if i cant get parts or service or calls answered all that hard work will be for nothing bc u will lose traction...no pun intended....as a serious contender imo. Def love juiced vives tho. I think it may be between them and the m2s just a matter of who is easier to work on and who has better service.
sorry for typos i really can spell but my arthritis is horrid today and i guess i should edit lol

Back